[misc.handicap] new drug

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (01/17/91)

Index Number: 13007

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Apparently, there is a new drug for pain out, that is currently available only
via injection. It allegedly has no side effects, and isn't addictive.
Unfortunately, I forgot the name (it starts with a t).  Anyone know what I'm
talking about?  *adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Anderson@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Anderson) (01/17/91)

Index Number: 13008

In a message to all on <Jan 03 15:47>, Alan Hess wrote:

 HA>Apparently, there is a new drug for pain out, that is currently available
 HA>only via injection. It allegedly has no side effects, and isn't addictive.
 HA>Unfortunately, I forgot the name (it starts with a t).  Anyone know what
 HA>I'm talking about?  *adh*

Toradol is the brand name, I forget the generic name at the moment
- will post it tomorrow.  It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
in the same vein as ibuprofen (Motrin) and is chemically related to
indomethacin (Indocin) and sulindac (Clinoril).  It does not
produce physical dependence and the side effects are mild.  If you
would like to know more I would be glad to post it.

Douglas

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Douglas.Anderson
Internet: Douglas.Anderson@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Mary.Pat.Wells@f501.n154.z1.fidonet.org (Mary Pat Wells) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13249

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

DA>Toradol is the brand name, I forget the generic name at the
DA>moment - will post it tomorrow.  It is a non-steroidal
DA>anti-inflammatory in the same vein as ibuprofen (Motrin) and
DA>is chemically related to indomethacin (Indocin) and sulindac
DA>(Clinoril).  It does not produce physical dependence and the
DA>side effects are mild.  If you would like to know more I
DA>would be glad to post it.

Sorry for breaking in. My husband is not taking Clinoril and was
using Sulindac which I understand are the same drug for his neck and
back pain. They have found the disk is gone between c5 & c6 in his
neck and has 10+ headaches. They also are giving him Propoxy
NAPS100MG/APAP GEN as needed when the other will not keep the
headaches down. He is being treated by the Medical College of
Wisconsin at the Milwaukee Medical Complex. Next Tuesady the 22nd he
will be seeing a Dr Walsh who is supose to be one of the TOP
Neurosurgery doctors around. He has been in the pain clinic for 2
months now trying to help teach him how to control and cope with the
pain. They say and I agree that 70% of his problems are from Stress
and deeep depression. You see I have Cancer and have been going thru
treatments for the second ttim. I got LOCKED OUT by GreyHound Bus
lines and no one will hire me because I'm a "striking Greayhound
driver" and he got layed off the middle of Sept. from his truck
driving job which he as done for 30 years and now can't get a job
because of his back and neck. He does have a very bad Neck and has
had his back almost broker three times, so YES he is hurting also.
He was on Feldene at one time and also has been on Voltagen, both of
which gave him little relief and bad side affects.
Sorry to get carried when I'm breaking into another person message.
Good Luck!  Mary-Pat John's Loving wife. BTW he is the Sysop of the
BBS I'm on.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!154!501!Mary.Pat.Wells
Internet: Mary.Pat.Wells@f501.n154.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hochberg@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hochberg) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13252

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I saw some info on Toradol that looks promising for a pain problem
in my family.  Do you know if it's FDA-approved and on the market
yet?  My information said it was not yet approved, but it's obviously
fairly far along in the process.  The literature I saw addressed
mostly acute (post-surgical) pain.  In other words, the stuff appears
so strong as to be an alternative to Morphine/Demerol.  There was
less info on chronic pain, although there was nothing to contraindicate
long-term use.  In particular, I'm wondering if it has ever been
tried on severe chronic headaches.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Alan.Hochberg
Internet: Alan.Hochberg@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Anderson@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Anderson) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13254

In a message of <16 Jan 91  10:10:09>, Alan Hochberg writes :

 > I saw some info on Toradol that looks promising for a pain problem
 > in my family.  Do you know if it's FDA-approved and on the market
 > yet?  My information said it was not yet approved, but it's obviously
 > fairly far along in the process.  The literature I saw addressed

Yes, it has been approved and is on the market.  Being new on
the market it is, unfortunately, expensive.

 > fairly far along in the process.  The literature I saw addressed
 > mostly acute (post-surgical) pain.  In other words, the stuff appears
 > so strong as to be an alternative to Morphine/Demerol.  There was
 > less info on chronic pain, although there was nothing to contraindicate
 > long-term use.  In particular, I'm wondering if it has ever been
 > tried on severe chronic headaches.

Most of the studies I've seen have been on short term use, but
there are current studies looking at more chronic uses.  I would
think it would be as safe as, say, ibuprofen for long-term use -
but that is just speculation.  I'll look to see if I can find
any info on the use for chronic headache.

Douglas