[misc.handicap] Myofascial Release

Debbie.Mandel@p1.f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org (Debbie Mandel) (02/04/90)

Index Number: 6605

In a message of <29 Jan 90 23:34:13>, Red Maple (1:163/223) writes:

 >This Myofascial Release technique that you are talking about, is this a
 >new technique?

Well, it's new to most Physical and Occupational Therapists, but I
understand that Osteopaths have been doing it for a while now.

 >I realized that some of my problems is due to the muscles tightening up
 >and they do not relax readily, and does take some times, or do not relax
 >until I lie down.  Can one learn to apply it to oneself?

It's pretty hard to do to yourself...depending on the area that needs done.
Sort of like trying to give yourself a massage.
 >If so, should I discuss it with my neurologist to direct me to a person
 >that applies this technique.
 >cheers, Red

Well, since I don't know your problems, it's sort of hard to know
if it would help or not.  It's been mostly used with adults who
have chronic pain due to tightening up of muscles and fascia around
blood vessels and nerves, or who have scar tissue built up.  Most
of the people who are starting to use it with people who have
spasticity are pediatric therapists.  You could ask your
neurologist what he/she thinks of the idea.  It would be
interesting to hear the reaction!!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!233!15.1!Debbie.Mandel
Internet: Debbie.Mandel@p1.f15.n233.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Maisel@f19.n371.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Maisel) (01/17/91)

Index Number: 13014

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I deal with a lot of individuals with all types of back problems (most
have undergone laminectomy procedures without significant relief) who
have to endure chronic pain, etc.  I have been getting some good
feedback from many of my clients who are undergoing "myofascial release"
techniques in physical therapy.  Many of them tell me it is the only
treatment modality that gives them relief.  I would be happy to provide
more information from these particular therapist who utilize myofascial
release.  Just let me know if anyone is interested!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!371!19!Gary.Maisel
Internet: Gary.Maisel@f19.n371.z1.fidonet.org

Ruthie.Hoffman@f223.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ruthie Hoffman) (01/17/91)

Index Number: 13015

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

 > I deal with a lot of individuals with all types of back problems
 > (most
 > have undergone laminectomy procedures without significant
 > relief) who
 > have to endure chronic pain, etc.  I have been getting some good
 > feedback from many of my clients who are undergoing "myofascial
 > release"
 > techniques in physical therapy.  Many of them tell me it is the
 > only
 > treatment modality that gives them relief.  I would be happy to
 > provide
 > more information from these particular therapist who utilize
 > myofascial
 > release.  Just let me know if anyone is interested!

Hello Gary...  I am quite curious/interested.  What IS myofascial
release?  May I ask how you are connected with clients that are
receiving this type of theraphy?

I ask these questions because I underwent what they called a lumbar
laminectomy in Nov. 1989.  I had a herniated disc, L4-L5, and was
losing use of my left foot and had numbness and INTENSE pain in my
left leg.  The neurosurgeon removed the calcified (his term) fragment,
but did not remove the disc.  I was doing pretty good until last Aug
(1990).  Then pain began to return to my lower back and both legs and
ankles.  The pain has slowly, but steadily increased, but is not
nearly as intense as last time.  I also still have use of my foot.  I
have had another MRI, and last week had a myelogram and CT scan.  I
will see the neurosurgeon on Monday to discuss the results.
Meanwhile, I am not wanting to have further surgery and am looking for
alternate routes to help with what seems to be becoming chronic pain.
It is getting quite depressing, to say the least, and I don't wish to
have to continually take pain killers and valium for the rest of my
life!

Any information you can give me about this procedure you speak of will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ruthie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!223!Ruthie.Hoffman
Internet: Ruthie.Hoffman@f223.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Ruthie.Hoffman@f223.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ruthie Hoffman) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13247

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

 > I deal with a lot of individuals with all types of back problems
 > (most
 > have undergone laminectomy procedures without significant
 > relief) who
 > have to endure chronic pain, etc.  I have been getting some good
 > feedback from many of my clients who are undergoing "myofascial
 > release"
 > techniques in physical therapy.  Many of them tell me it is the
 > only
 > treatment modality that gives them relief.  I would be happy to
 > provide
 > more information from these particular therapist who utilize
 > myofascial
 > release.  Just let me know if anyone is interested!

Hello Gary...  I am quite curious/interested.  What IS myofascial
release?  May I ask how you are connected with clients that are
receiving this type of theraphy?

I ask these questions because I underwent what they called a lumbar
laminectomy in Nov. 1989.  I had a herniated disc, L4-L5, and was
losing use of my left foot and had numbness and INTENSE pain in my
left leg.  The neurosurgeon removed the calcified (his term) fragment,
but did not remove the disc.  I was doing pretty good until last Aug
(1990).  Then pain began to return to my lower back and both legs and
ankles.  The pain has slowly, but steadily increased, but is not
nearly as intense as last time.  I also still have use of my foot.  I
have had another MRI, and last week had a myelogram and CT scan.  I
will see the neurosurgeon on Monday to discuss the results.
Meanwhile, I am not wanting to have further surgery and am looking for
alternate routes to help with what seems to be becoming chronic pain.
It is getting quite depressing, to say the least, and I don't wish to
have to continually take pain killers and valium for the rest of my
life!

Any information you can give me about this procedure you speak of will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ruthie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!223!Ruthie.Hoffman
Internet: Ruthie.Hoffman@f223.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Maisel@f19.n371.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Maisel) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13250

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Hi. Carolynn.  Myofascial release is a physical therapy treatment
involving deep massage and other components.  Most physical therapists
and physicians that deal with back problems are aware of myofascial
release.  Your dad may want to ask his physician about this or if he is
going to physical therapy, ask the physical therapist.  I am a
vocational rehabilitation counselor and I have had many clients who have
undergone laminectomy procedures with the result of chronic pain and
they have reported that myofascial release has helpped them both to
avoid future surgery or to give some relief so that surgery is not
necessary in the first place.  Myofascial release is not a "panacea" for
everybody but it helps many people.  If you wish, I could mail you some
written material on myofascial release, if you would give me your
address.  Let me know what happens or if I could give you some more
information.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!371!19!Gary.Maisel
Internet: Gary.Maisel@f19.n371.z1.fidonet.org

Carolynn.Hooper@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org (Carolynn Hooper) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13255

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Thank you, Gary.  We face an intersting dilemma.  Because my father's
condition is so degerated and he deals with constant pain, the
physicians tend to ignore possible relief therapys.  What they don't
seem to think, is that some relief, though complete relief is unlikely,
is helpful.  He will benefit from any reduction in pain.  He currently
has a dorsal column stimulator.  Will that hurt the therapy since it is
implanted along the spine?  Will write more after receiving info.
Again, thanks.     Appreciate every new door......
carol

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!381!9.0!Carolynn.Hooper
Internet: Carolynn.Hooper@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org