[misc.handicap] Vasectomy

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13282

In article <16757@bunker.UUCP> Alan.Forro@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 12824
>
>We've talked about vasectomy also.  I just heard about a study saying
>that men with vasectomies has about double the risk of prostate cancer.
>That certainly gives me pause, as I am already in remission from
>Hodgekins Disease, and I don't want to tempt fate anymore.

I saw this in the press too, and called the American Foundation for
Urologic Disease (800-242-AFUD) out of curiosity.  What they told me
was that this study had not actually been published as of now, they
couldn't give me the title/author until it had been published, and that
the study was not done by MDs.  They seemed skeptical.  Why/how the
press picked this thing up and trumpeted it all over the country,
before the paper has even been published and reviewed, is a mystery to me.
--
era@ncar.ucar.edu