[misc.handicap] You're Welcome!

Robert.Ezergailis@f106.n244.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Ezergailis) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13296

Yes, events in my life have greatly contributed to a feeling
and a reality of being isolated. Something only a minority
of people really understand (those who have shared the
experience). Also, I have been centered out and ridiculed
for most of my life in varying amounts. Those who are
sensitive and who attempt to be caring who have experienced
that (again a small minority) are the few who understand
how that feels.

I suffered even further ostracism from most people whom I
have to deal with from day to day when I gave up drinking.
That just made my situation worse. The only ones who wanted
me around were AA people and I chose against that because
I don't agree with their ideas even though I am against
drinking alcohol as a social pastime because of the hurt I
have seen happen to people due to intoxication on alcohol
including in my own life. Just a thoughtless word is sometimes
enough to hurt someone one cares about.

No, I am not claiming to be an alcoholic. A glass of wine
with dinner, or some situation like that, isn't what I am
talking about. Though my attitudes on that subject do tend
to severely limit my life even more than it is limited
without that decision.

I suffer from lonliness most of all. Thankfully I have my
senses intact, and am not physically disabled. Whether users
of this echo want to converse with me is their choice.

Thankyou for your offer of friendship, it is certainly
appreciated, but I am going to decline for different reasons.
Though I hope to hear from you on the bbs occassionally.

TTYL

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!244!106!Robert.Ezergailis
Internet: Robert.Ezergailis@f106.n244.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Smith@p0.f7.n388.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Smith) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13323

* Subj : Re: You're Welcome!
BK> Jim, I liked your touching and caring message to Robert.  I
BK> guess that his message to you certainly shows us all that being
BK> disabled or not doesn't guarantee a happy life.  That at least
BK> is one thing that I'm glad about.  My lonelinesses don't
BK> necessarily have anything to do with my blindness.

You're absolutely right.  Unhappiness has nothing to do with a
 person's physical condition.  It has to do with a person's attitude.

-$- Smitty -$-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!388!7.0!Jim.Smith
Internet: Jim.Smith@p0.f7.n388.z1.fidonet.org