[misc.handicap] Voc rehab

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13316

   Hi Betty, I don't know the county but she lives in Atlanta. She is
now getting SSA but you know how poor med coverage is under medicare. I
don't know how restrictive her husbands policy could be I'll check that
out. All she told me was that they have a 2 year wait for people with a
preexisting. I didn't know that SSI made that much difference between
states. Basicaly here if your spouse is gainfully imployed and not
working at a job that puts you under the poverty level they will not
cover you under Medicaid nor will they give you a support check. I
assumed it was the same there because she is not receiving SSI. I'll
check and see if she has applied for that. I sure could use the name of
a good doctor down there, she really has got to start seeing someone
that is competent and not just getting picked up by hospital staff when
she is committed. The follow up they have given her and the care has
been a joke. I will give her a call later this week and check out the
stuff about SSI and also see how she has been doing with Voc Rehab.
Thanks so much for the help Betty. I feel really good having a friend
down there by her. It helps to make me feel that some thing can be done
for her.
                           BIG HUGS
                           Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Betty Draughon) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13327

In a message to Betty Draughon <14 Jan 91 20:13> Pandora Nigh wrote:

 PN>   Hi Betty, I don't know the county but she lives in Atlanta.

Inside the city limits?  Metropolitan Atlanta only includes five
counties, Sweet Pea.  Can you send me her zip code?

 PN> She is now getting SSA but you know how poor med coverage is
 PN> under medicare.

Find a participating physician, Sweet Pea.  He HAS to write off the
difference between what he charges and what Medicare pays,
excepting the 20% copayment.  She cannot be held responsible for
that difference in fees.  If she is paying them, she's paying money
she does not legally owe.  Read a Medicare Explanation of
Benefits.  It will tell you on the bottom the difference in what is
paid, what is billed, and the amount you are responsible for, and
the amount you do NOT owe.  Of course, her physician always has the
option of refusing to treat her if she doesn't pay, but if he does,
she's better off without him anyway, because he's more interested
in money than he is in her.

 PN>  I don't know how restrictive her husbands policy
 PN> could be I'll check that out. All she told me was that they have
 PN> a 2 year wait for people with a preexisting.

Does he work for a well-established firm?  How long has he been
employed there?  What is the employee deductible before insurance
kicks in?  I don't nneed the answers to these questions, but they
are questions to which SHE needs the answer.

PN> I didn't know that SSI made that much difference between
states.

There is a ceiling in Georgia, and there is no state compensation
over   what Social Security pays.  The amount she is paid is
determined by the amount of social security eligible funds she has
contributed and the number of quarters she worked.  I have a friend
who draws $750, and another who draws $311.  Both medically
disabled.  Ironically the one who draws the $750  is the one who
needs it least.

 PN> Basicaly here if
 PN> your spouse is gainfully imployed and not working at a job that
 PN> puts you under the poverty level they will not cover you under
 PN> Medicaid nor will they give you a support check. I assumed it was
 PN> the same there because she is not receiving SSI. I'll check and
 PN> see if she has applied for that.

Check and see if she has applied for SS*D*I.  That is what she
really wants.  If she can get that one approved, the State has no
alternative but to cover her under Medicaid. By receiving SSA, she
is guaranteed coverage under Medicare, but she needs Medicaid,
too.  Medicaid will pay for her medicines, and until six months ago
would have paid for her transportation to and from her doctor (if
she could not provide her own).

 PN> I sure could use the name of a
 PN> good doctor down there, she really has got to start seeing
 PN> someone that is competent and not just getting picked up by
 PN> hospital staff when she is committed. The follow up they have
 PN> given her and the care has been a joke. I will give her a call
 PN> later this week and check out the stuff about SSI and also see
 PN> how she has been doing with Voc Rehab.

Remember, Sweet Pea, if she is turned down for SSDI, there are
appeals!  As soon as I get a better fix on exactly where she lives,
I'll see about finding her a doctor that gives a damn.  Do you have
access to NetMail?

 PN>  Thanks so much for the
 PN> help Betty. I feel really good having a friend down there by her.
 PN> It helps to make me feel that some thing can be done for her.

Well, I'll tell you, Angel, it's reassuring to know that I've been
able to help SOMEbody.  I haven't been able to help Nadine and I
haven't even scratched the surface with Robert.

 PN>                           BIG HUGS

     Always appreciated, and returned tenfold.

     Praying for Nadine and Peace...

                              Betty

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.10!Betty.Draughon
Internet: Betty.Draughon@p10.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org