[misc.handicap] Big Computer Person

DRZ@SJUVM.BITNET (Bob Zenhausern) (01/08/91)

Index Number: 12709

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

I am in the process of developing a program similiar to Big
Brothers/Sisters based on telecomputing.  It represents an
extension of this type of program to a long distance version based
on the computer networks.  It grew out of several projects that I
will briefly describe to give an idea of the nature of the project.
A blind mentally retarded HS student in rural Virginia (Anne
Pemberton, who is frequently on Altlearn@sjuvm.bitnet is the
teacher) has been communicating (albeit reluctantly and
sporadically at this point) with a blind handicap advocate in NY
City (Tzipporah BenAvraham, who is another frequent contributor to
Altlearn).  I want to expand this so that blind college students
can act as a Computer Big Person to visually impaired elementary
school children.  Similar projects can be developed for the hearing
and physically impaired.  In terms of educationally disabled I am
developing my Direct Access reading program in NY City and one
elementary school has a population of learning disabled attendance
problem children who are part of a computer after school program.
I am setting them up with learning disabled HS students in rural
Virginia who will act as their Big Computer Persons.  I have
already posted some preliminary messages on Bitnet and a professor
of education in Buffalo has expressed interest in getting her
elementary ed students involved.  She especially wants to show them
that a computer can be more than a number cruncher.  Perhaps her
students would be interested in acting as Big Computer Person to
both groups.  I am not sure of what would happen, but it should be
interesting.

The project is still in its formative stages and I am looking for
those who are interested on any level.  Just subscribe to
Altlearn@sjuvm.bitnet and say hello.

Bob Zenhausern, Ph.D.      Compusererve: 72440.32@compuserve.com
Professor of Psychology          Bitnet: drz@sjuvm
St. John's University
SB 15 Marillac
Jamaica, NY 11439
718-990-6447

A Jack of All Trades Looking for Masters

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (01/26/91)

Index Number: 13236

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Bob,

>"I am a professor of neuropsychology at St. John's University and I
>"want to share with you a new project I am developing -- Big
>"Computer Person.  It is based on the Big Brother/Sister concept
>"except that communication is via the computer networks and the
>"correspondents share a common disability.

I like your idea. I am a member of The Committee for the Disabled of Catholic
Family Center here in Rochester. We have such a Big Sister/Brother program. It
is not via computer though. We have received a grant to start The Mentoring
Project and have already matched a teenage girl with a disability to an adult
who has that same disability. I would be very interested in hearing more about
this project. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

If you have any blind kids who want to correspond, send 'em my way. I am a
teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired, so could possiblly help you that
way too. Please let me know. Thanks for bringing such a neat idea to my
attention.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Oscar.Sosa@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Oscar Sosa) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13525

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

What you are doing sounds really great. Anything in this respect is a
worthwhile thing to do. I'd love to get involved and contribute what I
can to your project.
Thing that bothers me, though, is that I don't know how much actual
contacts you'll make via bitnet. Fidonet has the potential of getting
more real results, I would think, because many more people have access to
it, which is not the case with bitnet. Are you familiar with something
called k12, which is, if memory serves me correctly, a subset of fidonet
which serves as a net for school students. I heard reference to it
several months ago in a message which was about an educator doing a
program on PBS about school students and their use of the computer as a
communication tool. You might want to do some investigation to see if you
can find out how to access k12 via your BBS.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Oscar.Sosa
Internet: Oscar.Sosa@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org