[misc.handicap] VAX screen editor

DOANE@CTSTATEU.BITNET (Betsey Doane) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13265

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

Just curious--has anyone suhccessfully used the screen editor in
EDT on the Vax with speech or Braille?  I am using VERT PLUS speech
system and have for years used the line editor with great success.
I've been playing around with the screen editor and it doesn't work
too well!  Moving the cursor with the arrow keys apparently moves
it but there is no feedback on just where the cursor is via the
speech.  I have an older version of the VERT software so I am not
aware of where the end of a line is.  I would be interested in any
experiences any of you have had--like I said, the line editor is
just fine.  Any ideas on the screen editor?--Betsey Doane--
<Doane@CTSTATEU>

NRCGSH@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU (Norm Coombs) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13267

[This is from the BLIND-L mailing list]

on a VAX about 8 to 12 hours a day.  I do use the edt editor on
occasion without any troubles.  I mainly use the verbal operating
system from Computer Conversations.  I have used a freind's IBM
screen reader and do not recall any problems.  It may depend on how
one is accessing the VAX.  I use a PC and procomm to dial in.  As I
recall the screen reader, at least as my friend has it configured,
does not speak letters as one uses the destructive backspace.  Must
confess I hate that feature.  I am only mildly familiar with screen
reader, but there is a key which will speak your location on
request.  The verbal operating system does the same.  Must again
confess that it is annoying to have to keep requesting that
information while typing.

Betsey, does your VAX system have the Eve editor?  It is extremely
common if not standard to have it on a VAX.  That includes screen
wrap and there is little need to worry about the end of a line.  In
fact, that is what I am using at this moment.  For serious and
important work, I still use the word processor on my PC and upload
to the VAX, but Eve works wonderfully for quick jobs.  In fact, it
would work better if I took the time to learn it.  However, there
is a limit to how many word processors and editors that I want to
bother learning.  I have my mail system set so that it uses eve as
its default any time I answer mail.

jBetsey, if you want to chat further on using speech with the VAX,
drop me a personal note to NRCGSH@RITVAX.  I am at the Rochester
Institute of Technology.  I was going to make this a personal
mailing to you, but I thought if there were others on the list
using VAX, we might want to connect with one another to provide a
mutual help network.  Norman

covici (John Covici) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13597

DOANE@CTSTATEU.BITNET (Betsey Doane) writes:

> Just curious--has anyone suhccessfully used the screen editor in
> EDT on the Vax with speech or Braille?  I am using VERT PLUS speech
> system and have for years used the line editor with great success.
> I've been playing around with the screen editor and it doesn't work
> too well!  Moving the cursor with the arrow keys apparently moves
> it but there is no feedback on just where the cursor is via the
> speech.  I have an older version of the VERT software so I am not
> aware of where the end of a line is.  I would be interested in any
> experiences any of you have had--like I said, the line editor is
> just fine.  Any ideas on the screen editor?--Betsey Doane--

Well, I can use it, the cursor tells where you were rather than
where you are, so I use my read current character key (in either
Artic or Vocaleyes), and get along OK, but the editor I really use
is a line editor which I helped write which uses regular
expressions and is not bad for something on the VAX.  It is sort of
like ed.

         John

--
         John Covici