[misc.handicap] Wheelchairs and Snow/Ice

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13305

> and friends, I was confronted this week by snow and ice,
> which have lingered. My first reaction is just to stay put
> for the duration, but then I thought I would try to tap the
> snow ice experiences of people on the echo. What if anything
> do you do about getting out in this kind of weather? It

Hello Harry, just what I did yesterday Jan.12/91, after a heavy
snowstorm, I mounted my trusty 3-wheeled Fortress 2000 and off I
went, I nearly got stuck in some places, people are not as keen on
clearing ice & snow as they used to be, might be because a bit of a
freezing rain was just setting in, I talked to a Lady in the Lobby
of my bldg. sy said that she couldn't make it across the street in
her manual Wheelchair, so she couldn't do her weekend shopping, I
found the places that don't care about clearing snow are mostly
Churches and some small Businesses, once the stuff turns into
something of a Slushpuppy consistience, it is very hard to get
about, crossing streets is another thing, the heavy sluch will
build up to almost 12-18" of Snowbank, the only way I managed to
get across was to take a full run (7 mph) at these things, since it
is familiar territory, I know where the sidewalk is even with the
street pavement, so I barely made it to the store and back, but I
would not recommend anyone in a manual Wheelchair to go out in that
type of weather unless you have someone to help you, you'll get
stuck, even to-day, everything is frozen solid, so it even more of
an hazard to go via a WheelChair, I won't even use my machine,
cause from last winters experience, I'll get stuck, and the reason
is simply "Too many parts of Sidewalk haven't been cleared" and are
now solid Ice.

Cheers.

 Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Andy.Anderson@p11.f116.n138.z1.fidonet.org (Andy Anderson) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13310

HL> which have lingered. My first reaction is just to stay put
HL> for the duration, but then I thought I would try to tap the
HL> snow ice experiences of people on the echo. What if anything
Your first reaction was/is my solution, Then accept the help of others
if and when possible.(The handling characteristics of a wheelchair on ice
or in snow leave a LOT to be desired.)But perhaps you or someone will come
up with the solution/s.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!138!116.11!Andy.Anderson
Internet: Andy.Anderson@p11.f116.n138.z1.fidonet.org

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13314

 AA> if and when possible.(The handling characteristics of a wheelchair on
 AA> ice
 AA> or in snow leave a LOT to be desired.)But perhaps you or someone will
 AA> come up with the solution/s.
Andy...
I have a copout solution, which is to go to Florida. I get cold feet and
but as soon as the weather turns cold anyway. But since the grown up kids
are all around here, going south wouldn't make much sense, so I will try
to come up with something from equipment resources here. Thanks for your
comment.
      Harry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13330

In a message to Bill Freads, dated, <01-15-91 11:08> Harry London wrote:

HL> I won't quote your post about getting around on snow/ice/slush, but
HL> you''ve certainly given me something to shoot at. Right now I can't
HL> imagine doing any of the things you did in this kind of weather, but
HL> knowing you've done it shows me what is possible, and I thank yo for it.

Well, never say "DIE" I certainly won't, last year I had to use my cane to
help the machine in certain spots that were not shovelled, you know, giving
it a helping hand like a Skipole, or for that matter, I use the crook of the
cane to hook onto something and pull myself along as well if the machine is
giving me problems in running through a bit of high Snow, the problem here
is... One needs to be a bit inventive if one is determined to get around in
this messy weather, and I'm happy to say that I alway's think of an most
unlikely solution to my problems, if and when they arise...

 Best of luck in your trials in the snow, I know it's a bit hard to get
around it, but in case of neccessary, you'll be surprised what you can do.

Cheers.

 Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Andy.Anderson@p11.f116.n138.z1.fidonet.org (Andy Anderson) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13636

Hi Harry!

In your msg to Andy Anderson, dated <22 Jan 91 13:21>, it said:

 HL> Like where, Andy? What are your #1 suggestions?
 HL> Thanks.

Well my Preference would be Hawaii,but I can imagine where some
other people may want me to go,;->. Actually,my wife and I have
made a couple of trips to Hawaii, The people at the airports were a
big help, I was using my battery powered three wheeler and they
would have me ride it to the door of the aircraft, then 2 or three
(one time there were SIX) flight attendants (meaning Stewardess's)
would help me to (walk?) the rest of the way down the aisle to a
seat preferrably as close to the restrooms as possible. And when we
would reach our destination,they would retrieve my three wheeler
from the cargo compartment and have it waiting for me at the door
of the aircraft,If for some reason they couldn't have my wheels
there,they would have a manual chair waiting for me and proceed to
push me to wherever my three wheeler was. I can't say ANYTHING bad
about the treatment I got,Not even the standard lost luggage
bit.8-)

                                                *Andy*