[misc.handicap] Find another paramedic to videotape

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13653

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I think using a deaf paramedic with excellent sign language skills is
better.  Linda Bove, a deaf woman, has been on Sesame Street for a good
number of years now.  She teaches signs slowly but surely.

The deaf paramedic could also give information on the life situation of
deaf people.  It's far more than just not hearing!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Fran O'gorman) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13684

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 JC> I think using a deaf paramedic with excellent sign language skills
 JC> is better.

You're right that the deaf medic would make the better teacher of
sign itself--it's her first language so she'd be expert.

I just thought that how Rob introduced himself was good--it broke
the ice with words/signs a novice might say...and also his
technique (the checking to make sure his signing was clear, or
that his interpretation was accurate) would help lessen the chance
of miscommunication whereas that wouldn't be a concern with the
deaf EMT with flawless signing skills.  But then if they don't
first learn how to sign well and properly  (which SHE would be in
the position to teach) I guess the other concerns wouldn't matter
much.

 JC> Linda Bove, a deaf woman, has been on Sesame Street
 JC> for a good number of years now.  She teaches signs slowly but
 JC> surely.

Yes, I remember her from when my 16 yr old was little and watched
Sesame street.  She IS good and does sign slowly.

 JC> The deaf paramedic could also give information on the life
 JC> situation of deaf people.  It's far more than just not hearing!

Yes, sensitivity and awareness of this and how it impacts on the
individual is something that could be shared with more than just
the medical profession...

--Fran

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!94!Fran.O'gorman
Internet: Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org