[misc.handicap] fund raising

Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Henry Kasten) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13124

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

hi jeff,  fundraising can be fun.  there are as many different
ideas as there are people.  not all ideas will work with all
groups.  size, abilities, projected budget are all factors which
should be taken into consideration.  one fun raiser which will work
for a blind organization, is working the concession stand at a
stadium.  many blind folks are familiar with concession stands,
owners like short learning curves..  we worked 10 home games for
the dallas cowboys,  we earned about $1000 per game.  handeling
money was not a problem because they used ticket coupons.  we
served hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, nachoes, popcorn
beer and soft drinks.  we cooked, wrapped and served.  we needed
approximately 15 people at each game, so we asked the lions club
and a women's church group to help out.  working together, all
three groups were able to exceed their projected budgets.  it was
hard work, but everyone had a good time.  now is the time to
contact professional organizations in your area to see if you can
get on their list.  if you will let me know more about your
organization, I am assuming you are a non-profit charitable
organization, i will get you some more fun raising ideas.  a big
help can come from your local chapter of nsfre (national society of
fundraising executives).  go to one of their next meetings and
mingle,  you won't believe the amount of useful ideas and help you
can get.  good luck, hk.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Henry.Kasten
Internet: Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13162

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 HK> ideas.  a big help can come from your local chapter of nsfre (national
 HK> society of fundraising executives).  go to one of their next meetings and
 HK> mingle,  you won't believe the amount of useful ideas and help you can ge

I am a little leary of those outside professional fund raisers.
Some of them will pick up in a hurry of raising funds for the
blind, but most of the money wines up in their hands.  Have you
found this to be true?

	       Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Jeff.Hawkinson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Jeff Hawkinson) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13178

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Glad to meet you Henry.   This is a non-for-profit organiziation for the
blind or visually impared.  This is the American Counil of the Blind of
Metropolitan Chicago (ACBMC).  We have had one fund raiser this past fall
selling cheese packages that at this time netted over $800.00.  But your
idaa of a concession stand I would have to look into it.  The agencey
that you suggested I would like some more information on them.  By the
way, by your conversation with me, I assume you are a Dallas Cowboy fan.
Well if you think I am a Chicago Baar fan, you guessed wrong.  I am a
vikings fan since I come from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul
area.  Will look for your information very soon.   Thanks.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Jeff.Hawkinson
Internet: Jeff.Hawkinson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13186

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Jess: the kind of fund raiser you are planning is somewhat
dependent upon the amount of money you expect to raise. Our local
Lions club for years has raised money by having a car party. The
tickets this year are $80 each, but the main prize is a 1990
automobile. Each year we make about $9000 profit with this project.
On the other hand, if your expectations are less than that, perhaps a
small lottery giving away a tv set or cash might do the trick. Good
luck on whatever you decide.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Henry Kasten) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13192

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

yo walter,  nsfre has some pretty stringent regulations.  it is not
likely that you will find one of those fund raisers who call up
people and sell them tickets for a show in behalf of your
organization and then you only get 7%.  for small groups, ideas and
methods can be gathered for little or no cost.  also there are
organizations which help non-profits with fund raising ideas,
management techniques, etc.  if you stay with well known, reputable
organizations, the likelihood of getting burned, are minimized.  hk

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Henry.Kasten
Internet: Henry.Kasten@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Jeff.Hawkinson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Jeff Hawkinson) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13197

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Our loacal chapter of the American Council of the Blind of Metropolitan
Chicago is hosting the national ACB convention in 1994.  We will need
most of the funds for this event.  I like your ideas and find them very
intersting.  But if we could have a little bit comming in now and a
little bit comming every so often, we could start building for that
convention.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Jeff.Hawkinson
Internet: Jeff.Hawkinson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Varty@newcastle.ac.uk (Steven Varty) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13601

As a fairly new reader of this news group I may be repeating an old issue, so
if I am I'm sorry.

I do charity work for Mentally Handicapped children, and our organisation need
funds to buy some new transport.

Has anyone got some good fund raising ideas ? If so please email them to me so
that we can achieve our aim.

Thanks in advance,  Steve.

   =   From:                                                             =
   =   Steve Varty  (steve.varty@uk.ac.newcastle)                        =

Steve.Varty@newcastle.ac.uk (Steven Varty) (02/27/91)

Index Number: 13683

Steve.Varty@newcastle.ac.uk (Steven Varty) writes:

>Index Number: 13601

>As a fairly new reader of this news group I may be repeating an old issue, so
>if I am I'm sorry.

>I do charity work for Mentally Handicapped children, and our organisation need
>funds to buy some new transport.

>Has anyone got some good fund raising ideas ? If so please email them to me so
>that we can achieve our aim.

Sorry to repeat myself, but the first one seened to go astray!!!!!

   =   From:                                                             =
   =   Steve Varty  (steve.varty@uk.ac.newcastle)                        =