[misc.handicap] Desert Storm and ADA

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13144

Anyone traveling by air may well run into increased airport security
as a result of terrorism threats made by Sodamn Insane. Many airports
are now at threat level 3 or 4. Among the problems this will creat
for disABLED travelers is a lack of curbside baggage checkin, and probably
hassles with non-travleing attendants/companions accompanying disABLED
travelers to the gates.

All of this is almost certainly in violation of ADA regs in onw way or
another, but I rather suspect that it will not be redressed by the courts
until the dust settles over what is left (at war's end) of Iraq.

spgreg@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13272

In article <17133@bunker.UUCP>, 34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) writes...
>Index Number: 13144
>
>Anyone traveling by air may well run into increased airport security
>as a result of terrorism threats made by Sodamn Insane. Many airports
>are now at threat level 3 or 4. Among the problems this will creat
>for disABLED travelers is a lack of curbside baggage checkin, and probably
>hassles with non-travleing attendants/companions accompanying disABLED
>travelers to the gates.
>
>All of this is almost certainly in violation of ADA regs in onw way or
>another, but I rather suspect that it will not be redressed by the courts
>until the dust settles over what is left (at war's end) of Iraq.

As yet, there are no ADA regulations.  The bill that was passed requires that
the regulations be written promptly.  For most sections of the bill, that
means by early '92.  Any difficulty encountered at airports is definitely
not an ADA violation.  There are, however, FAA regulations which must still
be met.  These apply to things like (dis)embarking, in flight attendents,
hand search options in the airport, and several others that don't come to
mind at the moment.  There are other regulations which require accessible
bathrooms in all airports, elevators and stairs in addition to escalators,
and several others that don't come to mind at the moment, I'm not sure
which agencies regulate these requirements.  There are currently no
requirements for airports to provide curbside luggage check in, and most
small airports still do not provide such service.

     MacRae                  |       Too curious flower
   spgreg@csd.lerc.nasa.gov  |       Our hungry donkey.
                             |                      -Basho

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (02/27/91)

Index Number: 13690

spgreg@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) writes:

|In article <17133@bunker.UUCP>, 34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) writes...
|>Index Number: 13144
|>
|>All of this is almost certainly in violation of ADA regs in onw way or
|>another, but I rather suspect that it will not be redressed by the courts
|>until the dust settles over what is left (at war's end) of Iraq.
|
|As yet, there are no ADA regulations.  The bill that was passed requires that

Geez, Greg, I must've read a different ADA than you describe.

W. K. (Bill) Gorman