[misc.handicap] Cuomo's comment

Tzipporah.Benavraham@f608.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Tzipporah Benavraham) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13336

I was listening to my Governor, Mario Cuomo about the budget. He spoke
of how he was concerned for the "underdog". In the list of "underdogs"
he mentioned disabled people. I like what he said then, "There will be
no sacred cows and no sacraficial lambs"! This guy has a way with
words. thought I would share it. I guess we will not be "sacraficial
lambs" to the budget cuts if that is truely what he means.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!107!608!Tzipporah.Benavraham
Internet: Tzipporah.Benavraham@f608.n107.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Brown) (02/01/91)

Index Number: 13344

The reason for a politician saying that a program "will definitely not be
cut" seems usually to be positioning so that when theprogram is cut he
can protest that he did all he could to stop something from happening
that he was dead set against.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!113!Chris.Brown
Internet: Chris.Brown@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13617

CB> The reason for a politician saying that a program "will definitely not
be
CB> cut" seems usually to be positioning so that when theprogram is cut he
CB> can protest that he did all he could to stop something from happening
CB> that he was dead set against.

        Very true.  This was demonstrated when the Education
Department announced cuts in scholarships and then the
Administration reversed the plan.  It better known as testing the
waters with someone else's toe.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Earl.Appleby@hnews.fidonet.org (Earl Appleby) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13641

 In her January 17th message to All, Tzipporah Benavraham writes:

 TB> I was listening to my Governor, Mario Cuomo about the budget. He
 TB> spoke of how he was concerned for the "underdog". In the list of
 TB> "underdogs" he mentioned disabled people. I like what he said
 TB> then, "There will be no sacred cows and no sacraficial lambs"!
 TB> This guy has a way with words.

 Dear Tzip,

 I share your conviction that "underdogs" should not be rendered
 "sacraficial lambs" for the sake of "sacred cows."  The question is
 does Governor Cuomo?

 If politicians have a creed, it's "Watch what I say not what I do."
 Citizens, on the other hand, best recall that "Actions speak louder
 than words."

 TB> ...I guess we will not be "sacraficial lambs" to the budget cuts
 TB> if that is truely what he means.

 As the immortal bard wrote in another context, "Ah, there's the rub."
 Regrettably, Gov. Cuomo's record is less promising than his rhetoric.
 This is, after all, the same Mario Cuomo who appointed Dr. David
 Axelrod chairman of his infamous Commission on Law & Life.  To quote
 euthanasia investigator Linda Everett, Cuomo and Axelrod "used cases
 like Baby Jane Doe (born with spina bifida in 1983 and doomed to death
 by her parents' refusal of life-saving operations) or patients quietly
 killed in La Guardia Hospital under "Do-Not-Resuscitate" or DNR orders,
 to create a commission to legalize medical murders that now go on in
 the shadows."  (Linda was writing in 1984 before the medical murders of
 euthanasia victims like Paul Brophy, Nancy Jobes, Nancy Cruzan, etc.,
 etc., etc. became daily news.  The good news is that, as a New Yorker
 whose deeds match his words on behalf of the disABLED, Nat Hentoff,
 reports [BABYJANE.ZIP, Handicapped News, 203-337-1607, file area 12],
 the parents of Kerri-Lynn (a.k.a. "Baby Jane Doe") changed their minds
 regarding medical treatment for their daughter and she is alive and
 well!)

 BTW, Gov. Cuomo (who once told a reporter, "I do not know what you mean
 by human life") branded those working to protect intended infanticide
 victims like Kerri-Lynn "meddling outsiders."

 May their meddlesome tribe increase!  And may we roar like lions against
 those who would make our brothers and sisters sacrificial lambs!

 With fondness for Life and You,

                            Earl

... For further information, contact CURE (304-258-LIFE).
--- Via Silver Xpress V2.28
 * Origin: The Handicap News, Shelton CT  (1-203-337-1607) (141/420)
--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Earl.Appleby
Internet: Earl.Appleby@hnews.fidonet.org

Tzipporah.Benavraham@f608.n107.z1.fidonet.org (Tzipporah Benavraham) (02/28/91)

Index Number: 13706

Earl. I am also worried who is a "sacraficial lamb" in this world.
Often the least vocal and least politically active (such as bedbound
disabled or sick babies) are left to the wills of others. We all suffer
then. Becauser the "policy people" are left to devices they ought not
be left to. If it were THEIR family.. well... but it seldom gets that
far.

We live though, don't we? And we continue despite many odds.