[misc.handicap] Happy Birthday to Me

madams@ecst.csuchico.edu (Michael E. Adams) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13825

Without fanfare or jubilation, I turned 29 today.

As I reflect over the last ten years of my life, I realize that I am
more handicapped by my social skills, or lack of, than I am by
my physical impairment.

It's no small irony that the "aggressive","self serving" traits that
are so troublesome as an adult, are the very same skills I learned
as a child to protect myself from a hostile peer group.

If I had not pumped up my ego and placed my self firmly in the
center of the known univers, I would surly have "check out" by now.

As I mature and look outward, towards the needs of others, I find it
hard to remember that many people have never had to face direct,
personal, rejection.  While I search for my place in "normal" society,
I wonder if I will ever learn how to "cradle" these delicate people,
or if they will ever learn to accept me.....

         (___)      |  Michael E. Adams
         (o o)      |  Custom Computer Programming
  /-------\ /       |  P.O. Box 5027
 / |     ||O        |  Chico,  California  95927-5025    U.S.A.
*  ||,---||         |
   ~~    ~~         |  internet: madams@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu
No BULL bandwidth   |

From decvax!vm1.nodak.edu!LISTSERV Thu Feb 28 04:23:40 1991
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 91 14:45:49 EST
From: decvax!vm1.nodak.edu!34AEJ7D%CMUVM.BITNET
To: "Bill McGarry; Handicap Digest" <ndsuvm1!L-HCAP>

This message  was originally submitted by  34AEJ7D@CMUVM to the L-HCAP  list at
NDSUVM1. If you simply forward it back to the list, it will be distributed with
the paragraph you are now reading  being automatically removed. If you edit the
contributions you receive into a digest, you will need to remove this paragraph
before mailing  the result to the  list. Finally, if you  need more information
from the author of this message, you should be able to do so by simply replying
to this note.

----------------- Message requiring your approval (11 lines) ------------------
For anyone who might be interested, I am informed by a usually unreliable
source that March 4 is the date for hearings in US District Court in
Washington, D.C. on the Medical Marijuana reclassification case. This is
the suit to make it available through normal prescription channels.

I know it has some application in reducing the nausea from cancer chemotherapy
for the experiences of my father. Cancer got him anyway - detected too late.
I also know from another similar source that it has some use in reducing
intraocular pressures,i.e., treating glaucoma.

Anything else?