[misc.handicap] Need rec for sign language video tape...

sriley@bbn.com (Sue Hamilton) (02/27/91)

Index Number: 13700

Hi Folks. I am trying to learn sign language and am having difficulty
finding classes to take that coincide with my schedule. I am wondering
if anyone could recommend video tapes that teach sign language. Do
such tapes exist?

Please email me:
sriley@bbn.com

Thanks!

Sue

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13948

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

In an article of <27 Feb 91 15:37:23 GMT>, sriley@bbn.com (Sue Hamilton) writes:

 >Hi Folks. I am trying to learn sign language and am having difficulty
 >finding classes to take that coincide with my schedule. I am wondering
 >if anyone could recommend video tapes that teach sign language. Do
 >such tapes exist?

That's a great idea, Sue.  Could you please let me know if you find any.  Thanks

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13949

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Such tapes may be available at a nearby school for the deaf or a college
program that offers signlanguage courses. As to whether they'd let
you use them, I know not. Won't hurt to ask, though.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Kevin.White@f71.n343.z1.fidonet.org (Kevin White) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13962

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Another idea is movies with hearing people and deaf actors.

I just got done watching Johnny Belisle or something close
to that on TBS (channel 12) for the 2nd time but its been
a long time, he ordered a book called "American Sign" but don't
know if that's a real one or not looks real enough, and I've
been told by deaf friends to get "The Joy of Sign" or somewhere
close to that and it's available at Walden Books I think,
problem is I'd rather go straight to a store rather than
walk half a mile in a big mall just to get a book...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!343!71!Kevin.White
Internet: Kevin.White@f71.n343.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13969

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Julie, our local public library has some fine sign language videotapes
that were made at Gallaudet.  Try yours, they might have them also.

... Xpress Yourself!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org