[misc.handicap] CLOSED CAPTIONED DECODERS

Chris.Snyder@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Snyder) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13647

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

hi everyone. i'm new to this echo and have found it very interesting
and imformative. i am looking for imformation regarding closed caption
decoders. i understand the new laws will require all tv manufacturers
to incorporate a decoder chip in the sets marketed after 01-01-93.
i was just wondering if this is correct and also if anyone knowes
if any manufacturer is currently producing a tv/decoder combination.
any imformation on the subject would be appreciated. thanks!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Chris.Snyder
Internet: Chris.Snyder@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13648

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 CS> I AM LOOKING FOR IMFORMATION REGARDING CLOSED CAPTION DECODERS.

Hi Chris.  President Bush signed the Decoder Circuitry Act (S1974 and
H4267) into law on October 16, 1990.  The Act applies only to TV sets
with screens 13" or larger, and as I recall the effective date is
July, 1993.  The FCC is required to issue rules for TV manufacturers
by next April 15.  There is an ugly rumor floating around that the
FCC rule will require only a single caption mode chip, and will
not enable the full screen text mode used for services like ABC'c
"PLUS" or our PENNTEXT news (in Pennsylvania).  I haven't confirmed
that rumor yet, but it would be a pity if the FCC accepts a wimpy
chip.

I have heard that Sanyo demonstrated a set with a built in caption
decoder at the Tokyo electronics show last fall.  It is possible
that a few TV sets with built in decoders will make it to market
later on this year, and highly probable that we will see them in
1992.  I understand that the decoder chip will cost TV manufacturers
only about $3 in quantity, so it should have no impact on the cost
of any except possibly some ultra cheapo sets.

The current model "TeleCaption 4000" decoder is selling for a street
price of around $170 - $180, and it has a bunch of neat features
that were lacking on earlier models.  Some stores are still selling
the old "TeleCaption 3000" decoder for the same price as the newer
model, so be careful.  Hope this answered your question.

                                        Jack.

... I never listen!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13664

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Contact the National Association of the Deaf, 814 Thayer St., Silver
Spring MD  20910.  Also, many dealers of TDD's also sell decoders.

I`m not sure if Sears still markets a television with a decoder.  I
think that you are better off with a separate decoder.  If either breaks
down, you still have the other.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

George.Forster@f104.n268.z1.fidonet.org (George Forster) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13692

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

HI CHRIS, THIS IS GEORGE FORSTER IN STROUDSBURG PENNSYLVANIA.
YES CHRIS THEY WILL BE PUTTING CHIPS FOR DECODERS IN TV'S AFTER 1993, BUT
THE SETS MUST BE OVER 15 INCHES WIDE I THINK.

I have a NCI captioning machine, it is manufactured by the NCI National
Captioning Institute.
NCI
5203 Leesburg Pike, 15th Floor,
Falls Church, Va 22041

Phone voice or TTY 703-998-2400

If you call them they will send you information on the current models.
I have had no problems with mine and it is over 5 years old.
It is good to purchase from NCI because they have a good product plus they
endeavor to get captioned programs on TV.
Hope this helps you Chris, good luck.
George Forster, Pocono BBS

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!268!104!George.Forster
Internet: George.Forster@f104.n268.z1.fidonet.org

osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (Ron Morgan) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13846

Does anyone know if these decoder chips will be capable of being
retrofitted into older TV sets? I'd hate to be somebody that just
spent $800 on a fancy new TV, just before the chips came out. Right
NOW, I'm in the process of shopping for a new set which I
*desperately* need, and I *don't* want to wait two or three years
for a set with the decoder chips!

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams) (03/08/91)

Index Number: 13854

osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (Ron Morgan) writes:

>Does anyone know if these decoder chips will be capable of being
>retrofitted into older TV sets? I'd hate to be somebody that just
>spent $800 on a fancy new TV, just before the chips came out. Right
>NOW, I'm in the process of shopping for a new set which I
>*desperately* need, and I *don't* want to wait two or three years
>for a set with the decoder chips!

For what it's worth:  A hearing friend of mine called my
attention to a <very short> article in one of the video magazines
he subscribes to which announced that Zenith was planning to
produce a color television set with decoder chips installed by
"mid spring, 1991".  I'm afraid that's all the information I have
available:  no price was given nor the size of the set.  However,
it might be worth your while to give Zenith a call and find out
if it might be suitable to your needs.  It certainly sounds
better than buying a new television AND a decoder to go along
with it.

Roger Williams
rwilliam@grebyn.com

Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13968

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 RM> Does anyone know if these decoder chips will be capable of being
 RM> retrofitted into older TV sets?

 RM> Right NOW, I'm in the process of shopping for a new set
 RM> which I *desperately* need, and I *don't* want to wait two or
 RM> three years for a set with the decoder chips!

Ron, retrofitting the chip would be impractical, and would probably
cost you more than the street price of a good TC4000 decoder box.
But hang in there!  The FCC standard on the decoder chip is due to
be released by April 15.  That is just a bit over a month from now.

Zenith, Hitachi, and some others are expected to have sets with built
in decoder chips on the market shortly after the FCC ruling comes down.
The 1993 date is the DEADLINE for all sets (over 13") to be equipped
with the chip.  Obviously, many will be available before then.  (They
have to give the dealers time to sell off all the old junk :-)

If you are really desperate, why not RENT a set for a month or so
while waiting for the chip?

Jack.

... Xpress Yourself!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13987

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Just buy a decoder, for about $190.00.  You won't have to take your TV
set apart to install it.  The decoder is wired to go between the TV and
the antenna.  If you have a VCR, it usually goes between the VCR and the
TV.

The newer decoder models are about the size of a large book, but are
much lighter and can be packed in your suitcase when you travel.