[misc.handicap] Feldene

Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Orville Bullitt) (02/27/90)

Index Number: 6960

 Does anyone on this echo have any experience with Fledene (c) by
Pfizer pharmaceuticals? I have an L5-S1 spondololisthesis that was
agrivated in an accident about 19 months ago. I've been on 20 mg of
Feldene per day for about 10 days and it seems to be relieving the
pain.
 Thank you,
 Orville

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!135!36!Orville.Bullitt
Internet: Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org

Tandy.Way@f305.n141.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way) (02/27/90)

Index Number: 6972

one of my doctors tried feldeen on me a year ago and it was just like
taking a sugar pill no effect.
tandy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!305!Tandy.Way
Internet: Tandy.Way@f305.n141.z1.fidonet.org

era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold) (02/28/90)

Index Number: 6999

In article <10401@bunker.UUCP> Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 6960
>
> Does anyone on this echo have any experience with Fledene (c) by
>Pfizer pharmaceuticals? I have an L5-S1 spondololisthesis that was
>agrivated in an accident about 19 months ago. I've been on 20 mg of
>Feldene per day for about 10 days and it seems to be relieving the
>pain.

Not personal experience, but my father has been taking it for years
to help pain due to injuries to several discs.  A couple comments:

1) In *many* users, it damages the stomach lining and digestive
   tract after being used for a long (years) period of time.
   This is what has happened to my father.  His doc has tried to
   get him off of it for intermittent periods to let the stomach
   heal.  It can cause ulceration and digestive tract bleeding.
2) I asked a D.O. what he thought of the medication, esp in the
   case of someone like my father, who is over 65.  His response
   was that he would consider it *malpractice* for any doctor to
   prescribe Feldene without also requiring periodic
   liver and renal function tests, as it can be damaging to both
   liver and kidneys.  He feels the testing should be done for
   individuals in any age group, but more frequently for older persons.

Still, Feldene is, for some people, the MOST effective pain reliever
they can find.  My father has tried a number of pain relievers, but
it seems like he always comes back to Feldene because that's what works.
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(w)
era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.bitnet * era@ncar.uucp

Tandy.Way@f514.n100.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way) (03/02/90)

Index Number: 7040

 OB>  Does anyone on this echo have any experience with Fledene (c)

I have chronic back pain in the upper back and one of my ex-doctors
tried feldeen with no results it was just like taking a sugar pill
tandy

--

Dan.Payne@f5.n290.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Payne) (03/03/90)

Index Number: 7050

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

 OB> Does anyone on this echo have any experience with Fledene (c)
 OB>by Pfizer pharmaceuticals?

I took it a few years ago and forget for sure....it was either
FELDENE or POLARAMINE that "attacked" my kidneys and almost landed
me in the hospital...(I think it was polaramine)...anyhow it was
effective for a while...

later

dan

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!290!5!Dan.Payne
Internet: Dan.Payne@f5.n290.z1.fidonet.org

Laura.Irby@f260.n271.z1.fidonet.org (Laura Irby) (03/16/90)

Index Number: 7176

Feldene is for arthritis [reduces joint swelling] the F.D.A. will
probably take it off the market within the next 6-mo.s because of the
gastro-intestinal problems [severe, like hemorrhage, gastric
perforation, etc.]

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!271!260!Laura.Irby
Internet: Laura.Irby@f260.n271.z1.fidonet.org

sommers@pilot.njin.net (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (03/22/90)

Index Number: 7223

Laura writes

Feldene is for arthritis [reduces joint swelling] the F.D.A. will
probably take it off the market within the next 6-mo.s because of the
gastro-intestinal problems [severe, like hemorrhage, gastric
perforation, etc.]

Please tell me where you got this information or at least how good it is.  I
am one of those people who NEED Feldene!  I have never been able to tolerate
any other NSAID and it keeps my steroid dosage lower.

Now I guess I will have to decide whether to stock up on Feldene.

If I had a choice of hemorrhage or my pain, I will choose hemorrage.  I
understand that the chances of gastric trouble are greatest for elderly
people on various sorts of diaretics.

lizzy
--
lizzy
sommers@njin.pilot.net

Hal.Roberts@f8.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Hal Roberts) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13779

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I have taken Feldene with a prescription medication called Cytotec which
is supposed to somehow coat the stomach lining and keeps you from getting
ulcer type pain while taking this and possibly any anti-inflammatory.
The generic name is misoprostol, I believe it was quite expensive,
however worth it if you must take Feldene.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!135!8!Hal.Roberts
Internet: Hal.Roberts@f8.n135.z1.fidonet.org

Bat.Zion@f102.n103.z1.fidonet.org (Bat Zion) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13989

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I have tried all the latest anti-inflammatories, with & without
cytotec or Tagamet, etc. All to no avail - my stomach is too
sensitive to handle any of those "miracle cures". My husband, a
Pharmacy Technician, discovered that there are injectable
anti-inflammatories that totally bypass the digestive system - but
my orthopedist won't even consider trying them on me: he claims they
are only approved for "in-patient" hospital use. I know how to give
every kind of injection ( I was a medic in the Army ), and they
still would rather keep me on narcotics. Stupid, no? Anyone else
know of the injectable anti-inflammatories?

bat Zion

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!103!102!Bat.Zion
Internet: Bat.Zion@f102.n103.z1.fidonet.org

Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Bohlman) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 13997

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Injectable anti-inflammatories wouldn't completely eliminate the gastric
irritation problem; the main cause of the gastric irritation is the fact that
the chemical reactions that protect the stomach from digesting itself are VERY
similar to those that produce inflammation.  Suppressing the latter tends to
suppress the former.

Of course, some NSAIDS, most notably aspirin, also have a direct irritant
effect on the stomach lining.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778.1!Eric.Bohlman
Internet: Eric.Bohlman@p1.f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Orville Bullitt) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 13998

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

 EB> Injectable anti-inflammatories wouldn't completely eliminate the
 EB> gastric irritation problem; the main cause of the gastric
 EB> irritation is the fact that the chemical reactions that protect
 EB> the stomach from digesting itself are VERY similar to those that
 EB> produce inflammation.  Suppressing the latter tends to suppress
 EB> the former.

 Ask your Doctor about CYTOTEC by Seba Geigy.

 EB> Of course, some NSAIDS, most notably aspirin, also have a direct
 EB> irritant effect on the stomach lining.

 That is one reason I had to  start with CYTOTEC. I am taking Tolectin for
Spinal Injury problems (an "impingement") and the Cytotec really is a help.
 Be certain that you take it with meals or immediately after eating.
 Good luck,
 Orville

... Life is uncertain... Eat dissert FIRST!