[misc.handicap] Bad Doctor

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13795

In a message to All <11 Feb 91 18:06> Jean Prophet wrote:

 JP>      Buddy asked for some pain medication and was given Tylonel
 JP> #3 for pain. He also asked about something to help him sleep,

Has Buddy taken Tylenol #3 before?  If not, watch out for stomach
upset.  It does nothing for my pain and is rough on my stomach.

 JP>      Dr. Lowell also changed us from Baclofen to Robaxin telling
 JP> us that he didn't like 'long term useage of Baclofen' - we ask
 JP> him if there were side effects with that kind of Baclofen - he
 JP> said 'yes' and we could not get any more explaination out of him.
 JP>  Does anyone know anything about Robaxin ??  Or, are there
 JP> others out there taking that particular drug ??

I've never heard of Robaxin, but if you can find out a good reason
(from a reliable source) not to keep taking Baclofen PLEASE let me
know.  I'll probably be taking it for the rest of my life unless I
find a good reason not to.  I'll see what I can find out about
robaxin.  I really need to invest in a PDR.

 JP>      I told Dr. Lowell about Buddy's more frequent numbness,
 JP> bowl problems and spazms - he said, and I quote "Well, what do
 JP> you want ME to DO about it" ... (nice guy, huh ??)  I said back
 JP> "What CAN you do about it" ... he said, "I KNOW he (Buddy) has
 JP> problems" ... now what gang ???  It's all kinda' dis-heartning,

I know you've heard this before and Joe C. will probably be telling
you the same, I'm sure but here goes...  GET A NEW DOCTOR STAT!
Ask the new doctor about the baclofen, about the numbness, about
the pain, and about the bowel accidents.  I would change doctors as
often as I changed underwear until I found one that I trusted and
liked.

You are both in my prayers and I hope you can find  the answers you
are looking for soon.

                                   -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13896

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 OB> than the recommended amount of sleeping pills to get to sleep and to
 OB> fight the pain. Even taking too much asprin!
 OB>  If he can't offer any help. it is time to look elsewhere for medical

        I know the feeling ever so intimately.  The worse time I
ever had was when I was admitted to the hospital, comatose, from
tylenol abuse.  During the following two weeks I damm near died
several times.

        Doctors just don't seem to understand we feel pain, and,
the ones that recognize this fact really don't understand it, or
know any effective treatment protocols.  I tell my Doctor I'm
hurting, and he asks me what I suggest!  I can't suggest anything
we haven't already tried, and so he says he keep his eyes open
for something but not to hold my breath.

        I want to live and therefore don't take very much pain
killers.  When I'm in pain I read, write, watch TV, compute, or
anything else which redirects my mind.  Sometimes, I can sleep
through it, but not very often.  Life's a bitch, but death ain't
so hot either.
                        -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain....@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain ) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14007