[misc.handicap] Relay Service

Steven.Henry@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Steven Henry) (11/08/90)

Index Number: 11626

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

             RELAY SERVICE FOR THE CPU MODEM USERS!

Everyone  of  you may hear about the TEDI-NET  BBS  operating  in
Washington  DC area.  They want to have the modem  users  testing
the TEDI-VERTER software and how the Intelemodem TDD can call the
hearing  impaired  friends  for  them.   The  TEDI-VERTER  is  an
external software for any BBS softwares if they have the doors to
enter.

You  may  call  the TEDI-NET BBS and ask  Randy  Mays  after  you
validate.   The number you can call is (703)  759-2424.   Operate
at  up to 2400 baud.  You may have to enter the door to open  the
TEDI-VERTER external program and wait for them to initialize  the
TDD  modem before it asks you what number you want to dial.   You
may  try to call the HEX BBS at ASCII/TDD (301)  593-7033.   Just
dial  (301)   593-7033.  It is not a long distance for  the  area
code 703 telephone users.  If it has a same area code number, you
have  to  press the hypen key to skip it before you type  the  7-
digits  numbers.   The hypen key is -.  You may dial  either  the
area code 202 or 301.

The  Intelemodem  TDD  is about 100% hayes.  It can  use  the  AT
commands just like what the most hayes modems do.  It works  with
the  TEDI-VERTER  software.  They are not  available  to  anyone,
because they have bugs, etc.  Have to wait until it finally works
good.  The softwares in the file area are RON1.COM and  RON2.COM.
You  have the password to download.  You have to wait until  they
complete first.  I think I better suggest you that if anyone  who
has them from any BBS.  Better not to download them, because they
can work with that software and make it having a lot of  viruses.
They  want to be more smarter, but they aren't.  It's better  for
you  to download them from the TEDI-NET BBS at  (703)   759-2424.
Keep this note!!!!

They have the TEDI-VERTER message area if anyone who interest  in
reading all about how it works, etc.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Steven.Henry
Internet: Steven.Henry@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13803

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > If the relay services is acting unprofessionally, have
 > you complained to the supervisor?  Is there a governing
 > board to handle ethics?

I was one of the first elected board members of the state advisory
committee when Oklahoma started the relay service system 3 or so
years ago.  I chose not to serve again last year as I'm in the
process of moving to Dallas and I was involved with other things
that required a great deal of my spare time.

I have discussed this matter with several officials along with the
contractor.  I believe we will see some changes in the near future,
especially when the ADA goes into effect.  Our state system is not
operated by a bona fide phone company as it is in several other
states.  It is handled by an independent answering service business.

I think they do a terrific job in relaying the messages, however,
it does get very interesting when they get a "late-night" call
from Anniewich to a fellow sysop for some advice on problems
that often occur when running a BBS.  (grin)  I have to really
admire the operator for typing all of the terminology we use and
not knowing what in the heck we're talking about.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13816

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Too often supervisors are hearies who don't take deaf objections seriously
enough to act on them. Moreover, too many deaf people do not know the
proper procedures to follow when complaining. Consequently, an outburst
gets ignored. It is just one of many things we Deafies don't get taught
in the hearie dominated profession of educating us. So in th end, deafies
endure the circumstances. Butthat's gonna change, just you watch and
see--oh, it sure is gonna change.

We have a D.E.A.F Network groupstarting up here in Tucson intended
to become a political activism group. We are trying to teach the Deaf
Communityere how tobe their own advocates among other things.
We call it DEAF EMPOWERMENT ADVOCACY FOCUS.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

jhall@ihlpm.att.com (John R Hall) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13841

The Illinois Relay (provided by AT&T) has a Deaf person who is an
Outreach manager.

--John

Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13970

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 JR> The Illinois Relay (provided by AT&T) has a Deaf person who is
 JR> an Outreach manager.

So does Pennsylvania Relay (AT&T also).  I think they make a point
of doing that for more effective outreach.

I'm currently collecting information on the relay services in the
various states, and will post the findings here when I have enough
data to make it worthwhile.

Of particular interest is how the different relay services deal
with calls across state lines.  This seems to vary from anything
goes in some states to absolute prohibition in others, with lots
of quirks in between.  Sometimes it depends on which CA picks up
your call to the relay service :-)

Any details that SilentTalkers can furnish on the relay service in
their home state will be appreciated.   Post it here in SilentTalk.

... Xpress Yourself!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams) (03/20/91)

Index Number: 14070

Jack.O'keeffe@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe) writes:

>Index Number: 13970

>I'm currently collecting information on the relay services in the
>various states, and will post the findings here when I have enough
>data to make it worthwhile.
>Any details that SilentTalkers can furnish on the relay service in
>their home state will be appreciated.   Post it here in SilentTalk.

The Virginia Relay Service began operation February 1, 1991. (The
number is 1-800-828-1120 TDD and 1-800-828-1140 Voice).  In
general, it appears to be working out fairly well.  I've used it
several times and have yet to encounter a busy signal or a
"please wait and your call will be answered in turn" message.  On
the other hand, the CAs could maybe use some instruction on
keeping the caller abreast of the progress of the call.  Several
times, I've had to ask "Are you still there?" when the TDD fell
silent for several minutes.

I can state from personal experience that the VRS permits
long-distance calls originating in Virginia to be placed across
state lines.  I haven't had any personal experience in
_receiving_ long distance calls through the VRS across state
lines, but I understand that this can be done.

One problem that has arisen for Northern Virginia residents is
that the VRS will _not_ place a call originating from outside the
state to another non-Virginia destination, even although one or
both callers may be Virginians.  It is quite frequently the case
that a Northern Virginian may work in the District of Columbia (as I
do myself) and needs to make a call to another District of
Columbia or perhaps a Maryland number during the working day.
VRS will not handle such calls and they currently must be made
via nonprofit (and very heavily overworked) volunteer
organizations such as TEDI and Capcom.  The District of Columbia
currently has no plans for establishing a relay system until the
relevant portions of ADA kick in.  Maryland is currently
committed to setting up a relay system, but the thing has become
bogged down in a dispute over how to pay for it (surcharge v.
inclusion in the basic rate).

The bottom line is that even after the District of Columbia and
Maryland both set up relay systems, Washington DC metro area
residents are going to have to remember 3 different numbers.
While this _is_ a considerable improvement over the previous
situation where we had _no_ numbers to remember, it would be nice
if statewide relay systems could set up  reciprocal arrangements
to handle these kinds of calls.

Roger Williams
rwilliam@grebyn.com