[misc.handicap] RECEIVING THE WARNINGS!

Wayne.Roorda@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (02/05/91)

Index Number: 13508

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Ron,

> Maybe you should write to Israel TV in Tel Aviv - ...[stuff deleted]
> also a signer in the corner of the screen.

How do the deaf and hard of hearing get the notice to turn the TV on?
Especially if they are sleeping and there is no hearing family member
to wake them.
                                                        Wayne

... PRIVATE GREED--Making money selling people what they want

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13660

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Television is now the preferred medium for people to get information.
If there were bombs bursting in air, I surely wouldn't be sleeping.

My wife and I are deaf.  We wake with the help of an alarm clock which
turns on a light.  We don't need a hearing person to wake us up.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13688

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I am deaf too. Funny, though, I wake up by deciding the night before,
what time I will get up. I wake up with ten minutes of that time.

Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Wayne.Roorda@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Wayne Roorda) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13696

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Jay,

In your message of Jan-29-91 10:23am to me you said...

> Television is now the preferred medium for people to get information.

Agreed!  Unfortunately, this has also replaced reading from the medium of
learning.

> If there were bombs bursting in air, I surely wouldn't be sleeping.

Neither would anyone else.

The topic of the original message is still waiting to be answered!

The question was and is, how are the deaf and hard of hearing awakened
and alerted when the sirens sound for the potential of incoming missiles
(SCUDS in this case) in order to put on their gas masks and go to their
sealed room?  I believe that the television located in the sealed room
would be sufficent to alert them when to remove the masks and to exit
the sealed room.  And the latest word I have, is that the television is
now being used to announce the "all clear" instead of using the siren.

> My wife and I are deaf.  We wake with the help of an alarm clock
> which turns on a light.  We don't need a hearing person to wake us up.

How do you know when to go to a storm shelter when a tornado warning
is announced if you are sleeping?
                                                Wayne

... HOLY WAR--The granddaddy of oxymorons

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14!Wayne.Roorda
Internet: Wayne.Roorda@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13698

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I really don't know what's happening in Israel regarding deaf people
getting warnings.  If I were there, I would simply go to a shelter every
night, just in case.  At one time in the USA there was a device marketed
that, via radio signals, would switch on a signal light.  I haven't seen
it around for some time.

As to toronado warnings:  we don't have them very often in Washington,
DC--although the hot air from Capitol Hill causes some interesting
temperatures sometimes!

We use common sense:  if the sky looks threatening, we find out what's
happening.  When we lived in Minnesota, the television would display a
crawl warning across the bottom of the screen.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (02/27/91)

Index Number: 13684

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) writes:

> Index Number: 13660
>
> Television is now the preferred medium for people to get information.
> If there were bombs bursting in air, I surely wouldn't be sleeping.
>
> My wife and I are deaf.  We wake with the help of an alarm clock which
> turns on a light.  We don't need a hearing person to wake us up.

Try the ShakeAwake compact clock !!  It only costs $30.00.  I have it
for a year now--discard the flashing light lamp !!  If you don't like
to think of the flashing lighted lamp, why not to settle for the nice,
comfortable vibrator into the mattress ???

I cannot find the manfacturer's address and TDD number, but if you are
interested, my USENET address is Janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu

Janice

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (02/28/91)

Index Number: 13721

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I really don't know what's happening in Israel regarding deaf people
getting warnings.  If I were there, I would simply go to a shelter every
night, just in case.  At one time in the USA there was a device marketed
that, via radio signals, would switch on a signal light.  I haven't seen
it around for some time.

As to toronado warnings:  we don't have them very often in Washington,
DC--although the hot air from Capitol Hill causes some interesting
temperatures sometimes!

We use common sense:  if the sky looks threatening, we find out what's
happening.  When we lived in Minnesota, the television would display a
crawl warning across the bottom of the screen.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (02/28/91)

Index Number: 13724

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi wayne,

I am finding this discussion about how hearing impaired can or might be alerted when emergency sirens are blowing quite interesting.

In my area, emergency sirens are tested and heard all over the area on the last Friday of every month. While I harbour no unrealistic fears of a massivce terrorist attack, it has occurred to me that I cannot hear sirens sounding and unless in the company of someone else, I would not even know anything was happening.

Keepin' the faith!

.                           Vixen

..."Saddam shame about Iraq!"

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Julie.More@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13733

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Vixen!  So this is the BBS you hang out at. <grin>  Our sysop
just started recieving Silenttalk  a few weeks ago.  I find the
echo really interesting.  I was reading your message to Wayne about
you not being able to hear the siren.  Could you train Toby to let
you know if a siren goes off?  The reason I ask is because I have a
friend who is hearing impaired.  He has a very well trained cat,
who lets him know whenever the phone is ringing or the doorbell is
ringing.  The cat goes over to him and bugs him until he checks the
phone or the door.  His phone does have the flashing light, so when
it rings the light flashes, but if he does not look at it when it
flashes, he does not notice it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13749

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Julie,

Yep, SilentTalk is one of my other "homes away from home." It is
one of the only places I have been able to turn to for some support
when my hearing levels really took a nose dive last year. I really
don't get any support in the real world at all.

I don't know that Toby can be cross trained to do "hearing dog"
types things or not. I am sure he is certainly smart enough to be,
but I would'nt know how to begin. I am also not sure how "Guide
Dogs for the Blind would about having him cross trained.

I can use flashing light devices quite easily as my light
perception is very good in my peripheral vision.  As a matter of
fact, I am painfully light sensitive. So, that might be the start
of a solution. However, I am not sure what there is that "flashes
or strobes" and would be activited when waring Sirens go off?

Toby does go to the door when someone rings the doorbell. That was
sort of an unexpected benefit.

Welcome to SilentTalk!

Keepin' the faith!

.                              Vixen

..."Never count me down!"

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13946

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Ann from the other Ann!

There are several devices available.  I have them all over my abode
and believe me, it sometimes looks like a laser show!  (grin)
Especially since I have two phone lines, lights for the CPU speaker,
and for the doorbell as well.

I've even noticed there are flashers available for garbage disposals
and the like.  There are also newly developed smoke detectors that
hook up to a lamp or strobe light to flash when it goes off.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14085

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > Yes, that would be interesting and maybe handy to folow
 > color to distriquish
 > which on for door or phone or computer, etc instead of by
 > timing of light flashing or pattern of flashing.

I have a pretty neat setup at my abode that was designed for
me by a SW Bell Engineer.  As you probably are aware, the
phone companies have all kinds of different lights and so
forth - so we used one type for the door, one type for the
phone lines (I have two) along with cable wiring and wooden
blocks stained to blend in with my decor.  I have several
that are just plugged into the phone jack and can be moved
around (an necessity with me as I'm always rearranging
the furniture, etc.  (grin)) as well as several that are
wall mounted for areas as bathrooms, kitchen, etc.  They
are very easy to install as well as remove if one should
move to another location.  I've used these for several
years and have yet to replace a bulb - most of the ones
used for these lights are lifetime bulbs (similar to those
used for car signal lights).

There are many setups that can be used, however, keep in
mind, they are not exactly cheap and some require an
electrician to install them, especially if you live in
an abode with an intercom system.

I do have a few Phone-TTY adapters that you can use with
your TDD to hook up to your phone jacks and a lamp using
a converter.  Since I abhor ceiling lights, I use mostly
lamps.

I'm still using the original GE clock with the vibrating
buzzer for my wake-up alarm but it seems I now have a
built-in biological clock, so don't use it very often.
Ah - the wonders of getting older!  (grin)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14087

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I don't have a flasher hooked up to the CPU at the present time -

it causes some problems, so just have a light hooked up to each
phone jack of the BBS line.

I couldn't explain to you how to install a light to your CPU
speaker - you'd have to ask a computer technician about that
as I'm not technie inclined.  I'm not so sure you would want
to install a light to your speaker, especially if you have
other things on your BBS that use the speaker, i.e., games and the
like.  I have quite a few games that generate bells and whistles...