[misc.handicap] ASL as a Second language

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13810

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

ASL is accepted as a foreigh language and taught various universities
across the USA. Included in those universities is none other than the
University of Arizona right here in Tucson.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (03/08/91)

Index Number: 13850

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) writes:

> ASL is accepted as a foreigh language and taught various universities
> across the USA. Included in those universities is none other than the
> University of Arizona right here in Tucson.

James,

I'm happy to announce that Florida Atlantic University here in Boca Raton,
FL has accepted American Sign Language (ASL) as a foreign language
requirement, part of the foreign language program.  100+ students
registered it on this semester after our school passed ASL last fall.
Also, University of Florida (Gators) has it.  Are there more others ?

Janice

ljohnson@ariel.unm.edu (Lee Johnson) (03/11/91)

Index Number: 13857

In article <18004@bunker.UUCP> janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu
(Janice Nardandrea) writes:
>Index Number: 13850
>
>James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) writes:
>
>> ASL is accepted as a foreigh language and taught various universities
>> across the USA. Included in those universities is none other than the
>> University of Arizona right here in Tucson.
>
>I'm happy to announce that Florida Atlantic University here in Boca Raton,
>FL has accepted American Sign Language (ASL) as a foreign language

The college of Arts and Sciences at the University of New Mexico acceptes ASL
as a foreign language reguirement. Due,in part,to the Interpreting Traning
Program at UNM.

		Lee

			 ljohnson@hydra.unm.edu <Lee Johnson>

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14095

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Lee, that's wonderful that the university in your area accepts ASL
as a foreign language. Itis finally getting the respect it should.
Too bad that respect does not come from where it would count the most,
namely educational programs for the deaf.

Now I think the next logical step is to givethose wonderful interpreters
the professional respect they deserve. Raise their salaries, give them
benefits, treat them with professional courtesy and decency!

That's really nice, Lee. It will spread even more.