[misc.handicap] UK Support

Cliff.Jones@f44.n254.z2.fidonet.org (Cliff Jones) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14100

 Hello Ann, In a message you wrote:

> with disabilities fall into the trap of believing this tripe.

Totally agree Ann, we can think for ourselves and know our own needs.

> When you say "carers" do you mean the care givers? If so,
> then are you saying that you find that service providers do
> not wish to communicate? This is often, but not always the case.
> Can you give specifics?

An example:  A large UK Charity commission a new office building
and architects to design it, the result doors are too narrow for
wheelchairs, the disabled toilets too small to get through the door
in wheelchair, etc.  I think that's a good example of the
professional carers seeking professional advice about the disabled
from the abled bodied.  Despite examples like this over the years,
it still happens and the disabled are still not consulted.  Its
like calling the TV Repair man to fix the Plumbing!! (grin).

> Hmmmmm, perhaps, could that be why those of us who have started
networking find that we are helping each other much more
effectively than many of the "agency" personnel?

Absolutely spot on my dear (grin).  We believe the Disabled can and
do help the disabled.

I have found that the vast majority of disabled people that I have
met in my life have not received either any help or minimal help
but without doubt not enough, so its hard to point at a particular
type of disability.

I would like to see more genuine help available for the MANY rather
than the few and I for one would like society to stop making me
feel guilty for not being born a 100% able bodied.

Well as to my statement regarding age ..I think you will find its
true that for anyone trying to change career mid life (40 +) can be
very difficult indeed even if one is perfectly fit, but with a
disability and perhaps a stroke condition on top of that .. well if
there is an Employer out there that would like to employ a 44 year
old man, who has had Cerebral Palsy and a stroke four years ago and
who is also house- bound because of the effects of that stroke ...
give me a call.  I will relocate..My brain is not dead and my need
to support my family is just as strong...

I would like to see extensive re-education facilities for all forms
of disabled people, in fact for anyone that has a genuine need to
retrain.  These facilities should be affordable even to those on no
income whatsoever and also be available to people like myself who
are not physically able to travel on a regular basis to an
Educational, Centre.

With regard to your statement "Is there another approach"

I think disabled people have been voicing these opinions for years,
but now we can communicate together using this type of medium, and
one day perhaps our combined voices will not only be heard but
acted upon for the benefit of all.

More to come in reply to your next page in another message.  Thanks
for your interest Ann.

Cliff

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!2!254!44!Cliff.Jones
Internet: Cliff.Jones@f44.n254.z2.fidonet.org