[misc.handicap] Disabled Transportation

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14023

 FW> Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.  My wife only uses the
 FW> transportation to get to and from the doctors.  The seniors use it for

 FW> just about everything.  She has to call in advance in order to get a
 FW> ride but they still give her a hard time about it.  It sounded like
 FW> these people were using the system almost every day.  I'm not positive

 FW> of this since it was the driver of the bus that was complaining.  I
 FW> like the idea of the senior citizen etc being able to order a  regular

 FW> taxi.  This would free up the use of the handicapped accessible bus
 FW> and make the waits hopefully much less.  Thank you for your reply.

        The drivers are known complainers on almost every
handibus service.  I think it goes with the terrority.  They just
don't seem to be aware of the effect they have upon their riders.
Until we can overcome the attitude problems there is always going
to be discrimination and complaints.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (03/20/91)

Index Number: 14074

 >I wonder if there is any city in USA or Canada where paratranspo is owned by
 >a private company.

Used to be that way here in Tucson Arizona - but the city found out after a
couple of years of nightmares for the disabled that it does not pay to allow
private ownership - so now it is actually city owned but not directly run by
the city (figure that one out).
The private one (handicar) is still operational but they charge more and do
much of the county runs (outside the limits of the city one).

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.1!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Burgess@f101.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Burgess) (03/20/91)

Index Number: 14076

Lana, here in Whitby and next door in Oshawa we have it set up with
specific cab companies that the registered blind pay only one
dollar for a cab anywhere in the community and in addition can
cross into another municipality for medical reasons only for the
same rate. The municipality picks up the tab for the balance. Yes,
our American friends, there is some merit to being in Canada,
including SNOW...Brrrr. We are the only two municipalities in a
very wide area with this taxi service, and the fee is designed to
equal but never exceed that of a local bus ride. For those without
it I think you need to approach your council. TTYL

Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!229!101!Bill.Burgess
Internet: Bill.Burgess@f101.n229.z1.fidonet.org

Lana.Berrington@f424.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Lana Berrington) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14107

Hi Julie!

In a message of <20 Feb 91>, Julie More (1:163/223.2) writes:

 JM>> I wonder if there is any city in USA or Canada where paratranspo is
 JM>> owned by a private company.

Don't know.  However, Ambulance services are publically owned here,
yet most are privatly owned in the states (I hear.. anyone got some
real facts for me?).  The only thing I see that would keep private
company from operating a Disabled transportation service is the
cost.  I can't see how such a service could be provided for under a
few bucks without some megga-funding or something .  One thing
which I think helps our Handi-Bus out is that most of the 'busses'
(big huge white Vans) are donated by some group or company who then
get their names on the outside of the van... on a larger scale that
sort of thing could help a private company.

~ <*Lana*> ~

 # Origin: The Point Of No Return: Calgary, Alberta (201:5500/55.4)
   To respond netmail, use FSC-0038 DOMAIN lines or as 1st line of msg use:
   @DOMAIN METRONET 201:5500/55.4 <your address: domain z:n/n>
=== FNPGate 2.50 Release

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!424!Lana.Berrington
Internet: Lana.Berrington@f424.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Burgess@f101.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Burgess) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14110

Yes, Julie, and in addition to this taxi service we now have a taxi
firm called Access Taxi that is competing, in a manner of speaking,
with our Handi-Transit which parallels Toronto's Wheeltrans and
your Paratranspo. This taxi service costs the same as any cab fare
normally does, but it's accessibility and freedom re booking plus
24 hour operation means you can come and go as you please. The
vehicles will each transport two wheelchairs plus three seated
passengers. Average trips within Oshawa would be around $8.00.
Other cab companies are wanting to compete with this service but do
not have approval at the moment. Getting late...thanks for the
reply and say hi to Robbie. TTYL

Bill\