[misc.handicap] modem

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11895

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

George Forster of 1:268/104 wrote to All:

 GF>   Is there any way to use a 300 baud  modem for the relay service
 GF>  or do i need to buy a tdd/tty.
   =

Yes, you can use your 300 baud modem to call the Pennsylvania TDD
Relay service.  If you call the regular TDD number, 800-654-5984,
set your comm program to 7 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit (7 E
1).  Local Echo (half duplex) and set the terminal enumeration to
TTY.  When you call, the relay CS (Communications Service) operator
may tell you that she is having trouble with what you are typing
because it overwrites the same line (no linefeed for some reason).
Tell her right away you are using a computer and ask her to hit her
Enter/Return key to force the next line when needed.  (I've just
about got them trained to do this already :-).

There is a second phone number for computers only, 800-855-1155.
This is 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit (8 N 1) instead of 7 E
1, but the problem is that at this time it only works at 1200 baud
(its suppose to accept both 300 and 1200 but the modem does not
switch baud rates so they asked that only 1200 baud use it.  It
does seem to wrap to the next line or at least they haven't
complained to me yet.  Since you only have 300 baud you should use
the 800-654-8984 number.

   (note to everyone else: these numbers are only for Pennsylvania TDD Users)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (02/05/91)

Index Number: 13406

 SB> Hi Walt: no, the speech slows down nothing, because it only says
 SB> things like "1024 zmodem monitor board. As a matter of fact, the
 SB> speech might be slightly behind what is actually downloaded,

That is right, and when the speech gets far enough behind, it will
cause the computer to stop and let the speech catch up.  Of course
this is not a problem if you are getting something locally.  But,
it can run up your phone bill if you are getting something from
long distance.  Just for fun, you should try downloading the same
file twice with a stop watch timing it.  once with the speech
talking, and once with the speech not talking.  You might be
surprised what you find out.  Of course I might be surprised with
the results.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13529

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Walt: I've never checked out the modem with the speech on with a
stopwatch. Most of the time, I don't use the speech. I was merely
trying to say that speech can be used if one chooses to do so and it
will not interfere with what is being downloaded. I tried it the
other with a rather large file to be downloaded. Though the speech
was behind there was not a problem. For those who need to hear
something to be sure they are downloading it is an option.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13549

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SB> Hi Walt: I've never checked out the modem with the speech on with a
 SB> stopwatch. Most of the time, I don't use the speech. I was merely
 SB> trying to say that speech can be used if one chooses to do so and it
 SB> will not interfere with what is being downloaded. I tried it the
 SB> other with a rather large file to be downloaded. Though the speech
 SB> was behind there was not a problem. For those who need to hear
 SB> something to be sure they are downloading it is an option.

     True it won't interfeer with the material, but i am thinking that when the speech gets behind, and computer has to wait for it, it will make a difference in your phone bill if you are calling long distance.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Christopher.Hill@p233.f4115.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Christopher Hill) (03/14/91)

Index Number: 13903

A while back William Wilson wrote:
 WW>      Seriously, and this does vary with the protocol being used along
 WW> with the comm program on the user's end, it has been my experience that
 WW> the errors in transfer, meaning bad blocks, etc., are increased when the
 WW> user is listening to the download.
 WW>                                                         Willie

Ain't that the truth.  Part of the problem is how some speech
programs work.  Some of them (notably flipper) basically stop other
applications while you're reading.  If you happen to be using
something like a DEC Talk, this pause can get kinda long, and cause
confusion.

I've also noticed this problem using Ymodem on my old 286 with
built-in speech.  I used to screw up a lot of downloads, before I
figured out the problem.  Doesn't seem to bother my 386sx with
z-modem as the protocol, though.  Oh ya, I use a speech program
that doesn't seem to noticeably stop the computer while reading.
 Later..  Chris

It can be fixed. Got a few thousand?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!124!4115.233!Christopher.Hill
Internet: Christopher.Hill@p233.f4115.n124.z1.fidonet.org

Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Downey) (03/14/91)

Index Number: 13904

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I have found that it depends on the speech program that youmight be
using.  For example I've notnoticed that downloaare a real problem with
Vocal-eyes and the Soundingboard.  However I've had problems with Artic
and the symphonics 215 but then that was on an 8286 with a slower clock
speed.  The Verbal Operating System is one that really hangs up with
Procomm or Telix and I'm not sure quite why.  Vert does alright for me
if I can get my feble mind to remember to hit CTRLN before starting.
It sure does seem to depend on the speech program though. Grant

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!381!9.0!Grant.Downey
Internet: Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (03/23/91)

Index Number: 14136

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 GF>  relay, everything still works great, but for some reason instead
 GF>  of getting a return when I hit enter, the operator says I'm
 GF>  overtyping the text.
 GF>  Can't figure it out, becaus I am emulating a tty keyboard with
 GF>  Procom Plus and have a ^M^J for my enter (reeturn) key. Also I
 GF>  hit alt F3 which gives a line feed after a carriage return. Any

    Are you hitting your enter key at the end of each line though? (that is,
don't count of the line wrap working - when what you are typing gets close to
70 columns you need to hit the Enter key. It should show as a double line
(skip a line in between) on your screen.  I have my F12 key set to "^M^J" so I
don't have to change my Enter key but I've noticed that even though I hit the
F12 near the end of each line, the CA sometimes tells me it overwrites.  I
suspect there may be a problem on the Relay's end.  Jack O'Keeffe and I are
suppose to go to a Relay workshop tomorrow and if I can I'll try to ask about
it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Stew.Bowden@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14148

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Willie: I suspect you may be right regarding the potential
increase of errors when speech is used totally while downloading.
However I have not experienced that in the five years that I have
been using computers though I hasten to say that I am far less
experienced than  most of you. I use zmodem and Listen to the first
two downloaded blocks and then turn the speech off. For those who
lack confidence they could at least start the speech and once they
see that things are working ok they could turn the speech off. After
all most software alarms when the download is finished so for most
that should work. Interesting thoughts Willie and thanks.