[misc.handicap] Artic 3.00

Roy.Zuvers@f333.n280.z1.fidonet.org (Roy Zuvers) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13190

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

skip, I also have receive artic 3.00 on Friday.
I spent the rest of that afternoon and evening plus Saturday morning
doing all those reads of the manual and reading and setting menu's
of course with head aches and Maalox moments.
It seems that I have always been blessed with buffering problems.
When I first learned artic at U.S.D.A. we were accessing a network which
only the government could design or use.
We had to access I.B.M. main frames with T.S.O. WITH I.S.P.F. and
Honeywell main frames as well as D.E.C. systems for
E mail and word processing.
That system was such a mess that artic got confused when trying to read
with up and down arrows.
The word processor on D.E.C. you just turned speech off and reead later.

Now here is this new artic and what do I find?  When you are given a
prompt, the last word or letter is not spoken.  If it is a question with
"y" "n" answer, the "n" won't speak.
If the prompt says something like "your choice" the word "choice" does
not speak unless you do a read current line and speak the buffer, then
it clears.
I almost expected it to start answering my "y/n" prompts for me.
For those of you who don't have it yet, artic 3.00 is really changed
from 2.10 and fast.
Really, so far it looks good for the most and my problem may be a set up
problem.  That's why I bring it up here, I could be the one who is
wrong.
I also abended the program by hitting the old review key which is now a
menu key.
I was using Ralph and it was reading.  When I tried to get out of menu
modeit just died -- dead! Oh well.
Let me know what you think.
Thank you.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!280!333!Roy.Zuvers
Internet: Roy.Zuvers@f333.n280.z1.fidonet.org

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (01/31/91)

Index Number: 13274

Re: Artic 3.00.

Well, I have 3.01.  As far as your comment about prompts not being
spoken, I haven't used it in that mode, at least not on anything but DOS
programs (up to now mostly command.com :-)), but there is a setting that
controls how long it waits after data arrives until it speaks when there
is no end of line.

Artic 2.10 has a problem (at least at 1200 baud) with responding to
remote full-screen applications that many other speech programs have, or
at least used to.  You issue a cursor command which causes your terminal
emulator to send a cursor command to the remote program.  The remote
program then sends a command back to the terminal that causes the cursor
to move.  Unfortunately, the Artic software doesn't know that this is
going on and thinks that the cursor has been moved before it has,
causing it to say the character before the cursor moves.  I saw a timing
adjustment the name of which made me hopeful that it might fix this.

The bad news, at least so far: Artic 3.01 on my machine (HP Vectra
Classic (A+), a 286 AT compatible) won't work with PIBTERM, EZ-READER,
or **TrueScan**!!  It locks up and the only thing that will restart the
system is cycling the power.  (There is a reset sequence involving
SYSREQ that I don't remember which is supposed to be more effective than
CTRL-ALT-DELETE that I obviously haven't tried).  I called Artic and
they said there would be a maintenance release to fix a problem that
causes many communications programs not to work.  This release is also
supposed to contain the macro system.  I forgot to ask when they
expect this release to be out.

I think I like the new features, although I am still in the in-between
stage where it seems clumsy, especially since I have two versions of the
program on my system and am switching between them frequently.

--
Gary Campbell

Roy.Zuvers@f333.n280.z1.fidonet.org (Roy Zuvers) (02/05/91)

Index Number: 13441

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Gary, Artic on my machine is taking 33,728
I am using a Tandon Targa 40 which is a 286 at 10 meg.
I do have a color monitor so I am using smart zones with Word Perfect
etc.
I am also using the inhanced key pad option.
I haven't worked with this enough to know if there would be differences
if other options were used or not.
What I have worked with so far is great including the new docu-pilot for
reading text.  I've tested that function with over 300 pages of document
searching and reading.
If you have word perfect 5.0, there is a change that you will have to
make so the smart zone for the spell checker will work for you.
If anyone needs that change, I can give it to them.

ROY

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!280!333!Roy.Zuvers
Internet: Roy.Zuvers@f333.n280.z1.fidonet.org

campbell%hpdmd48@hplabs.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13520

 just got the new version 3.03 tonight and it seems to work.  I
initiallized TrueScan and it worked.  I tried ez-rdr briefly and it
seemed to work.  I am using Pibterm now and that seems to work too,
although there may be some conflicts which I think can be worked out.
It locked up on me once, but I think that Pibterm was seeing the scroll
lock.  I changed the scroll lock owner to application and it seems to
work.  That happened also with Artic V1.2 or whatever the version before
2.x was.

In short, it looks good so far.

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13542

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Roy,  Have you had any problems with Artic 3.0.  I have heard
that it locks up on a number of programs, including SDIR, which
many of us use.

... Your Sound Alternative

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14149

In a message of <27 Jan 91 10:30:25>, Tom Gerhart (1:273/210) writes:

 > >Roy,
 >I have seen a number of problems with artic 3.0 they have released 3.1
 >and I think they are working on 3.2. I don't mind being a ginny pig as
 >most users are, but I called and asked about the problems and the tech
 >person told me that it worked fine with everything.  Why not be honest
 >about it tell me that there is a problem and that artic is working on
 >it. Also some dealers are still selling 2.2 and then making the person
 >pay another $10 to get 3.0. what a rip off. tom G.

From all the problems they have on their hands with 3.00 and the
amount of time they hyped it prior to even releasing it you would
wonder if their programmers are the same ones that did Opus 1.10.
They hyped Opus 1.10 for a couple of years and then when it was
released it had tons of bugs and no real documentation.  In the 10
months since it was released there have been 5 upgrade releases to
correct bugs and there are still problems.  I suppose that's
alright when the software is free, but with what Artic is charging
for upgrades and the "accidental" charging a user more for an
upgrade because their 2.2 version was sold to their dealer prior to
the deadline cutoff for less expensive upgrades, let's hope they
don't have 5 upgrades before they get it right or all the Artic
owners will be broke and Artic will be in excellent financial
condition at the expense of their users.

BTW, I understand that the Artic Dectalk version that was suppose
to release last summer is still 3 to 6 months from release
according to Artic dealers that I have been talking to in the last
couple of weeks.  Boy, it's a good thing all the speech companies
don't take that long to adapt their software to one more
synthesisor or we would really be in bad shape.

     D. T.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210.0!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Christopher.Hill@p233.f4115.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Christopher Hill) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14151

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 TG> I have seen a number of problems with artic 3.0 they have released 3.1
 TG> and I think they are working on 3.2. I don't mind being a ginny pig as
 TG> most users are, but I called and asked about the problems and the tech
 TG> person told me that it worked fine with everything.  Why not be honest
 TG> about it tell me that there is a problem and that artic is working on
 TG> it. Also some dealers are still selling 2.2 and then making the person
 TG> pay another $10 to get 3.0. what a rip off. tom G.

Kinda reminds me of the time I called and asked them why when I ran
turbopascal while the sonixtts driver was loaded, that the machine
crashed during certain operations.  There answer was basically that
they don't support turbo pascal.  I thought that was a great answer
if I'd ever heard one.  My solution was to get a braille and speak
and hook it up when running TP.

Overall artic is pretty good at supporting there hardware, but they
seem a little flaky sometimes when it comes to software problems.

 Later..
 Chris

Lots of beer in america!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!124!4115.233!Christopher.Hill
Internet: Christopher.Hill@p233.f4115.n124.z1.fidonet.org