[misc.handicap] USSR Disabled Children

76537.1713@CompuServe.COM (Frank Topping) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14177

[Thanks to Marty Hoag for forwarding this and the following reply
 to the list]

[This is from the KIDS-91 Project mailing list.]

The folowing was posted by a guy we're connected with in conference
on K-12Net from the University in Novosibirsk, Siberia.  K-12Net is
a curricular based education net serving schools around the world.
I'd like to know if anyone might know of a possible sourse of a gift
of a 9600b modem that would get this school online with us.

The need is rather desperate - our children will benefit phenominally
from being able to explore "success in adaptive living" with others
of similar need on the far side of the world.  The message that "we
care" will be immediately realized by the children in the Siberian
school; that will also be the reality for our children as we give one
of the most precious of gifts - connectivity - and the inherant self
esteem that they can reach out and communicate _globally_ with others
of similar life situation, sharing joys of triumph and _dealing_ with
times a bit less encouraging - but - with peers who understand.

With adaptive technology these children can be olympians; all - across
the phone lines and airwaves of the world!  ...what a gift to empower
this sort of exchange.  Please see if you might think of someone who
can help; Lyons, Jaycees, Soroptimists, ...help a school in your
community connect with K-12Net as well!

|Area: K12tchat, Msg #152, 02:18pm Mar-17-91
|From:    Evgeny Chupriyanov
|To:      All
|subject: Handicapped Children parents Association at Novosibirsk

The head of HCPA 'Christina' contacted me and asked me to post here
next letter:

Dear friends,

We are glad to greet you from Academgorodok, the town in Siberia.
This is a letter from the Association for Parents of Handicapped
Children. Unfortunately, we have more than hundred disabled
children here and so we decided to help them in their treatment
and education and in their adaptation to the society's activities.
We have just organized our Association and made only first steps.
We have the first volunteers from the students of our Novosibirsk
University coming to the chilren and giving a help in their
study; we've got a small computer school, we are planning to
prepare the data bank about gift in music, painting etc., of
these children.

We heard about some organisations and similar societies in other
countries. For example, we would like to keep in touch with
"Lion" and the societies for the people suffering from cerebral
paralysis, diabetes. We want our children to grow up like other
people, we want them to see the world, to travel, to make
friends, and if you can stretch your hand and help us - so do
please, write us and let's be friends.

                With love to everybody.

                        Tamara Ovodova
                        Head of Association

|--- D'Bridge 1.30/002540
| * Origin: The Court of the Crimson King, Novosibirsk, USSR (2:50/0)

Thanks!

Frank Topping, sysop
Sacramento Peace Child - NorCal K-12Net Feed (916)451-0225 (1:203/454)

conference moderator:

"The Educational Exchange Conference" - "OERI" BBS  (800)222-4922

operated by:

Office of Educational Research and Improvement - (OERI)
U.S. Dept. of Education
Washington, D.C.