[misc.handicap] Deaf And/or Hearing Impaired

Chrissy.Burns@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chrissy Burns) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13737

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I am a relay operator, and recently there has been a great debate
taking place in my office.  I would welcome any comments.  When we
make a call to a hearing person, we always start with "Hello, this
is the relay operator for the deaf and the hearing impaired...I have
a call for _____."  Some say we are being redundant by saying "Deaf
AND Hearing Impaired"  Others say that folks with mild hearing loss
would resent being included in the "deaf" category, while others claim
that folks considered to be completely deaf, are comfortable with
that term, and resent anyone trying to "dress it up" by using "Hearing
Impaired".  To top it all off, more and more Speech Impaired callers
are using the relay.  If, as an operator I announce a call "Hello,
this is Chrissy with the relay service for the deaf, hearing impaired,
and speech impaired...I have a call for ____"  It would prove to lengthy
as we have a large number of calls coming in that need to be handles
smoothly and efficiently.  If I simply say "This is the Relay Operator,
I have a call for _____"  it seems I run into people who have never
heard of the relay and they say "the what?"  "What is this for?"
"I will not accept any charges!"  Any Suggestions?  GA to SK

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!41.0!Chrissy.Burns
Internet: Chrissy.Burns@p0.f41.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13740

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 CB>  I am a relay operator, and recently there has been a great debate
 CB>  taking place in my office.  I would welcome any comments.  When
 CB>  we make a call to a hearing person, we always start with "Hello,
 CB>  this is the relay operator for the deaf and the hearing
 CB>  impaired...I have a call for _____."  Some say we are being
   [....]
 CB>  the Relay Operator, I have a call for _____"  it seems I run into
 CB>  people who have never heard of the relay and they say "the what?"
 CB>  "What is this for?"
 CB>  "I will not accept any charges!"  Any Suggestions?  GA to SK

    No suggestions, just a comment.  No matter what you say/do, someone is
going to disagree/be unhappy.  I would keep saying "this is Relay w/ call for
___ from ___."   I try to remember to tell the relay operator (called
Communication Assistants or 'CA's in Pennsylvania) if the person being called
alreay knows what the relay service is so s/he won't waste time explaining.
   People who want to make a issue out of whether they are called deaf or hard
or hearing shouldn't use the relay service. :-)
   hmmm, why not say "communative challanged"?    [ducking and running before
Annewitch throws something at me...]

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13744

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Ah, I believe you've been my relay operator a few times!  (grin)
 I live in Lawton, so...

Let me point out something - I feel the term "deaf and hearing impaired"
is very improper as I think it should be "deaf and hard of hearing."

My personal preference would be to use "hearing impaired/speech
impaired".  Hearing impairment includes all types of hearing loss
and it does not make sense to use it with the term "deaf".  I know
this is a very controversial issue but if you look both of those
words up in the dictionary, it definitely explains the meaning of
hearing impairment.

Also, I'd like to ask a few things about the relay service in Oklahoma.
When the service was first started (almost 3 years ago), the operators
identified themselves by numbers, i.e., Operator 501, etc.  However,
I've noticed that in the past year, the operators are using their
names which to me is not very professional.  I recently spent several
months in Dallas and had the opportunity to use the Texas Relay Service
quite a bit and liked the way they identified themselves - "This
is Agent xxx."  I've always felt a relay service should be operated
similar to any other operator service such as the AT&T long distance
operator or the information operator where they are very professional
and business-like as they never identify who they are.

Please don't get me wrong in the impression that I'm cutting down
the Oklahoma Relay Service as that is not my intent.  I think all
of you do a terrific job.

I'll let the others give their comments now that I've stated mine.

Oh...if I might add one more little item, the announcers on the TDDs
that are provided by the state say "This is a TDD call for the hearing
impaired", so where does the "deaf" come into it????  To me, it's
really irrevelant to add more terms than are necessary.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13747

Ann Stalnaker of 1:385/14 wrote to Chrissy Burns:
 AS>  When the service was first started (almost 3 years ago), the
 AS>  operators identified themselves by numbers, i.e., Operator 501,
 AS>  etc.  However, I've noticed that in the past year, the operators
 AS>  are using their names which to me is not very professional.  I

    In PA the relay operator (or Communication Assistant as I mentioned to
Chrissy) identify themselves as  "CA xx".  A couple of them have cut in in the
middle of a relay with "(CA 17 here, I can hear them talking in the
background)", or "(CA 17 here, they put me on hold again)".

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Karen.Keil@f809.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Karen Keil) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13751

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 * Replying to a message originally to Anyone With An Opinion
CBI am a relay operator, and recently there has been a great
CBdebate taking place in my office.  I would welcome any
CBcomments.  When we make a call to a hearing person, we always
CBstart with "Hello, this is the relay operator for the deaf and
CBthe hearing impaired...I have a call for _____."  Some say we
CBare being redundant by saying "Deaf AND Hearing Impaired"
CBOthers say that folks with mild hearing loss would resent
CBbeing included in the "deaf" category, while others claim that
CBfolks considered to be completely deaf, are comfortable with
CBthat term, and resent anyone trying to "dress it up" by using
CB"Hearing Impaired".  To top it all off, more and more Speech
CBImpaired callers are using the relay.  If, as an operator I
CBannounce a call "Hello, this is Chrissy with the relay service
CBfor the deaf, hearing impaired, and speech impaired...I have a
CBcall for ____"  It would prove to lengthy .....
  You have touched upon a current debate about the terms 'deaf' and
'hearing-impaired'.  You can't win using either term.  I don't care
which one you use---'hearing-impaired' is fine--it's better than
'deaf and dumb'  (connotations of stupidity).
    An item in the SHHH Journal (Jan.-Feb. 1991) told about two
groups saying that 'hearing-impaired' was not acceptable, but 'deaf'
and 'hard of hearing' are.   More terms to add to the fire!
        I think for clarity and brevity, use '....a relay operator
for the deaf and speech-impaired'.
        Are you working for U. S. Sprint in the Colorado Relay
service?  I have found them very friendly, professional and great to
use for relay calls.  The first time I ever called my sister using a
new TDD via the Colorado Relay, my brother-in-law answered the phone
and misunderstood the operator and thought he/she said 'a call from
a DEAD person'.... my sister took the phone, asking herself, is this
really happening?  (Ha, Ha!)
        Hope my comments help.
Karen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!809!Karen.Keil
Internet: Karen.Keil@f809.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13752

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 >    hmmm, why not say "communative challanged"?    [ducking
 > and running before Annewitch throws something at me...]

Uh huh - 'communicative challenged', indeed!!!  (HA HA)

(No wonder I couldn't find YOU!!!  You were ducking TOOOOO much!
 And...Stu, what's this about a WITCH?  (smirk))

I have to agree with you on the fact that no matter what terms
are used, no one is ever going to be happy with any particular
one, however, if there are going to be some used, you know how
I feel on the subject matter.  With the relay services cropping
up all over the country, I think people are becoming more aware

of it's usage and purpose - especially since the number of ours
in Oklahoma is published in the Customer's Guide of the phone
directory and tells what it is for.

I'd just like to see more professionalism used by the services,
especially the one in Oklahoma.  They had it to begin with but
seem to have lost it somewhere down the line...

Okay, Stu - I'm off my soap box for awhile (I think!).

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13753

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 AS>  I'd just like to see more professionalism used by the services,
 AS>  especially the one in Oklahoma.  They had it to begin with but
 AS>  seem to have lost it somewhere down the line...

    Its another "no win" situation though Ann.  For ever person who prefers a
"professional" operator, they may be another person who wishes the operators
were "a little more friendly..."
   Maybe they could have two phone numbers to call, one for people who want a
no-nonsense pro and another for those who want a "helpful friend."    :-)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13755

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

In Arizona they say: Hello, this is the AZ Relay Service for the Deaf
and Speech Impaired. I have a call for. . . .  Those who resent being
called deaf usually don't know you said it unless you typed it while
speaking to the receivee. If they really are peeved about it, ak them
to henceforth field the call themselves.

You go: (Ringing...R...R...R...) Hello, this is Chicekn Gizzards and
Hog Kidneys Inc. How May I help you. The non-Deaf, deaf person can
then take over from there. If smart, s/he will begin with something
like:

Hello, I am Oragn Consumer calling you thru the AZ Relay service for
the Hearing Impaired. I'd like to order a bag of blodd guts

Ok, so thisis not the best example , but I am in a silly mood tonight,
ok? Forgive me, SilentTalkers, I know not what i am saying (or don't
care probably)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13757

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Anne, for one thing, culturally Deaf people resent the term impaired
because it implies something is wrong with us. It's a hearie label
for us. Amng ourselves, we reject it. We are "deaf" period. Its partof
who and what we are and we feel comfortable with it, thank you.

In fairness, what you say about adding all the terms is true. It does
seem silly. Personally, I don't care much for what the operator says
as long as my call gets through ok. However, I wrote the above to tell
you how "deaf" comes into it. One wants tobe "hearing impaired", let
them. One wants to be "deaf" under what circumstances are they to be
denied this?

I wrote an earlier post onthis topic. It might be one way to handle
this matter. Or one can do what I do. Call me what you will, doesn't
matter as long as I know who I am.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13759

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Annie,

As for me, I personally prefer deaf or hearing impaired. Not that
it is really of any great import in the grand scheme of things, But
yes, I much prefer to be called "hearing impaired" over hard of
hearing."

My explaination: Where and when I was growing up, people who were
refered to as "hard of heraring" often brought the image of old
people with ear horns saying, "eh, what was that again, eh?" Having
been born a hearing child, I still quite remember this little
pantomine being carried out many times between us kids from
elementary level school age to high school ages.  Further, so many
many many television situation comedies had someone play a "hard of
hearing"  relative or friend whose hearing loss was meant to be a
source of laughter for the viewing audience as the actors around
the "hard of hearing" character displayed (almost always) their
annoyance, impatience and even devaluation of the hard of hearing
persons existance in their midst. Sad to say, much of this attitude
still shows and is alive and well and the image is still being
perpetuated. In fact, it is not strange to find hearing people
making crass jokes and that same little pantomine about being "hard
of hearing."

For me, the label "hard of hearing" has an extremely negative
connotation. Those deaf who feel that hearing people think that
they are ignorant or stupid and uneducated simply because of their
deafness, should also know those of us who are so called "hard of
hearing" quite often deal with that same mess of problems!

People seem to want "hard of hearing" or hearing impaired to "hear"
the way they do and I have, these last few years become acutely
aware of just how "angry" people become when we cannot understand
them. Especially if we can understand them one moment and then not
the next! Speaking for myself, I have been insulted, mocked and
walked away from quite a number of times. I think that normally
hearing people retain those earlier mentioned images of "Hard of
Hearing" people and they want us to be "normally" hearing even more
than they want those who they know are deaf, to be hearing. This
the moreso if the H.I. person wears hearing aids or other devices
which some people seem to think must give the H.I. person normal
hearing in all situations. And, as I have  experienced  myself,
some people also find the devices we use an excuse to make fun or
ridicule.

Of course, I don't really go into a fit if someone refers to me as
"Hard of Hearing" but I do strongly prefer hearing impaired as I
think it has a less negative image to hearing people.

This is all subjective, but I just wanted to share my feelings.

Keepin' the faith!

.                           Vixen

..."What place is this?"

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13768

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

But deaf people do not need relay operators, if both sides of the
conversation have TDD's.  It's hearing people without TDD's that need
the relay operator!

The same goes for sign language interpreters, which is why you will
never see me ask for "an interpreter for the deaf."  Ugh!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13770

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi James,

I love terminology debates, they are so much fun!

You may have already seen my messages to Annie explaining why "I"
prefer "hearing impaired" over "Hard of hearing."

While I can understand why deaf persons might be annoyed by someone
referring to them as "impaired" , I loathe the neagtive
connotations and images that abound among the hearing (and possibly
some deaf and hearing impaired) of someone who is "hard of
hearing." (For some of my previously described reasoning.)

In my case, hearing impaired is not an insult and just a statement
of fact. I am not deaf and can hear to a useable degree using
electronic devices and my hearing loss is a disorder, therefore
impairment.

I am not at all insulted or offended if someone at first believes
me to be deaf and that happens sometimes and more often, people ask
if I were born with my hearing impairment. (Usually, they say "hard
of hearing.") But, if I may have my preferecence, I prefer hearing
impaired. If and when I reach such a stage where "deaf" is the
approriate word, I shall not find that offensive.  However, it
does'nt bother me in the slightest if the word "deaf" is used in a
generic sense by a relay operator.

But "hard of hearing?" Yucky yucky yucky! Quick, someone go get my
ear horn and my granny dress!

Actually, I don't care what you call me as long as you give me lots
of love, attention and money to spend!

Keepin' the faith!

.                         Vixen

..."The invisible man? Tell him I can't see him today!"

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13797

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > As for me, I personally prefer deaf or hearing impaired.
 > Not that it is really of any great import in the grand scheme
 > of things, But yes, I much prefer to be called "hearing
 > impaired" over hard of hearing."

Well, Vixen, there are many folks who are actually "hard of hearing"
and not deaf.  There are more of them than there are those of us
who are deaf.  I place those who are "hard of hearing" as ones
who can hear with the hearing aid and understand what is being sounded
or stated clearly with this aid.  I actually prefer to say hearing
impairment for all types of hearing losses (yes, there are many of
them and they all fall in different categories).  Often when one
says they are deaf - sometimes others who are unaware, start speaking
slower, louder, screaming, etc.  I believe this happens in the other
categories of hearing loss.  It is just something we have to explain
to those unknowing folks.  I don't mind really as I know they aren't
doing it intentionally - it's all a misunderstanding and you'd be
surprised at these same folks when they do find out how wrong they
have been all of these years.  Of course, we're always going to run
into those who are prejudiced and just plain rude.  They are not
worth losing any sleep over.  I've had my share like everyone else
but I don't let it get to me.  We have all kinds of wild and crazy
people in this world - we wouldn't want everyone to be alike.  What
a dull world we would be if this was the case.

The only thing I think that will make a major difference is education.
I do feel people are more aware of our problems now than they were
20 or 30 years ago when there was very little known about deafness.
I also feel that we will continue to have problems until those of
the "deaf" culture change their attitudes.  We're all going to have
to work together as a team in order to change the attitudes of these
unknowing people but we can't do it as long as there is so much
isolation in different groups.  I guess what I'm trying to say is
all barriers should be broken down between those who use oralism
and those who sign - it doesn't matter what we use - we're all in
the same boat.

I do think it is time for some changes and improvements.  I've seen
both sides of the fence and from my experiences as well as firsthand
viewing of both sides, I think too many give up too easily.  I don't
believe in making things easy for children who have the potential
to do better than they are doing.  I honestly feel that specialized
classes/residential schools can do more harm than good.  I've seen
many deaf teenagers graduate from high school without being
mainstreamed in the regular classrooms reading at only a 4th
grade level and these kids were NOT dumb!  I think deaf children
should be treated equally like their hearing counterparts - i.e.,
no graduation until they pass the normal education standards.
But - it's not that way, in fact, education has been lower
than the normal standards for them.  Perhaps not now but it sure
was in the past with the exception of several states who were
enlightened by parents who refused to accept this standard of
education.  I believe California and Louisiana were those states,
in fact, I know Louisiana has the best public schools for their
hearing impaired students and I'm not saying that because I
attended junior high and high school there.

I'll get back with you on this subject -

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13799

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 >     Its another "no win" situation though Ann.  For ever
 > person who prefers a "professional" operator, they may
 > be another person who wishes the operators were "a little
 > more friendly..."
 >    Maybe they could have two phone numbers to call, one
 > for people who want a no-nonsense pro and another for those
 > who want a "helpful friend."    :-)

I agree it's a "no win" situation, however, I think in time
things will improve.

Hmm, think we're gonna have to pay their salaries to have two
units of operators?  (grin)  I still stand by my statement about
"professionalism".  This service is not for friendly chats, you know
and they should abide by the Privacy Law Act which I know they
don't always do.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13801

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Uh...er...James, will you ever get my name correct?  I don't have
an "e" at the end of my name....One of these days you may not get
a response due to the misspelling...

I think the whole problem lies with deaf people not being flexible
with what needs to be changed/improved.  I abhor the terms "hearie"
and "deafie".  I don't like labels because we are PEOPLE first, not
DEAF or HEARING folks first...

I also have to say this - not all people with hearing losses are
DEAF...some are really HOH.  There are many types of hearing loss.
I do not mind saying I am deaf.  I just think it sounds better
when referring to certain issues to use hearing impaired or hearing
impairment.

There is more to life than being deaf and until others accept that,
they will be able to accept their deafness or hearing loss.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13804

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > The warning about not losing one's place in line is necessary.
 >  On a regular call, if the line is busy, you would simply
 > redial until you got through.  Since the relay service
 > operates on a "holding pattern," it's necessary to inform
 > the caller that it is not just a busy signal, but their
 > call is in the "holding pattern."

I don't feel that is necessary.  I can see using "Please hold for
next available operator" but the "Please do NOT hang up" is really
irrevelant, especially when one has to hold for more than 10 or 15
minutes as is often the case.  Some of us are far too busy and
need to get the call through

 >   Jay "Not a phone techie, although I did make the first
 > call to 1-800-855-1155 way back on June 30, 1980 and helped
 > set up the system"
 > Croft

Well, I was working for AT&T at that time and they provided
me with two new Krown TDD's (one for my office and one for use
at home) and often called on me to help improve their services
along with Sue Decker who worked at their Special Needs Center

in NJ.  There have been quite a bit of changes since then.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13805

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > But "hard of hearing?" Yucky yucky yucky! Quick, someone
 > go get my ear horn and my granny dress!

Vixen - what makes you think the term "HOH" only refers to our
elderly population???  There's a whole world out there full of
children who are NOT deaf, they are hard of hearing!

Uh...er...what do you think SHHH stands for???  (smiles)

There is so many who are so misinformed.  You know as well as I
do that WE have to educate others on this.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13808

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi,

Yes, I suppose by the time I get these aids and wires plugged in, you could quite accurately say that I "hear differently!"  Anything but "hard of hearing" for me please!

I had been calling my hearing loss a disease (because it runs in the family and is degenerative) but my surgeon said, "No, don't call it that, call it a disorder."

In the end, call me anything, but don't forget to call!

Keepin' the faith!

.                            Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13812

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Annie,

Yes, I understand your definitions of Deaf, Hard of Hearing and
Hearing Impaired. I "do" accept that it is not incorrect to call me
"Hard of Hearing" since I can and do hear to useable degree using
hearing aids, ALDS and an amplified telephone system. Although the
part of your qualifier that does not fit (for me) is "hearing
clearly" through the use of these devices. As for me, how well I do
is proportionate to where I am and what is going on around me at
any given time.

For example, my hearing aids amplify "everything" and create a din
of noise in my better ear that makes it hard to hear beyond the
"noise." My Telex helps with this since persons can speak directly
into a remote Microphone which than allows me some selective
hearing. But there is still the problem amplified ambient noise
even so.

I still do well on my Amplified phone setup and it works quite well
with my aids, but even with all of these of neat "ear gadgets" I
can plug into. I "lose" words and often have to know what someone
may be talking about by stringing what I can hear together and I
try to do it without stopping the other person every other word or
three.

Also, I can still "play" music and hear that music although I
cannot hear very much of my voice if I sing along.  I also have
considerable difficulty "separating sound" so Bonnie, who is an
Audio Engineer and very good with acoustics, sound and eletronics
can create little devices for me to help me stay in time with what
I cannot hear or hear well.  (and yep, I am one of those people who
sometimes is "shouting" when I think I am taling normally.)

So, I would say that it is quite inaccurate to call me deaf at this
time and I even admit that "Hard of Hearing" is accurate and even a
"clearer more specific description than "Hearing Impaired." My
problem is that I loathe the Hard of Hearing "image" that many
normally hearing people have.

Yes, you are quite correct when you guess that normally hearing
people "yell" at Hard of Hearing people just as they do with some
deaf people. They not only yell, they became quite annoyed and
sometimes quite angry if you are unable to understand them. They
will say things like, "Well, you would hear me if you were
listening" and tell you things like, "You do not pay attention,
that's your whole trouble!" So, you see, just as some hearing seem
to want to make the Deaf hearing, they also have great difficulty
with the Hard of Hearing. People also forget that there are
different levels of how Hard of hearing one person might be. I do
best, with my Aids and ALD in quiet environments, although my new
Telex has allowed me some pretty impressive communication (within
reasonable limits.) Yes, I think  I am Hard of hearing I just hate
the image that goes along with the expression. So, my preference
for the more general "Hearing Impaired."

As to residential schools for the Deaf. I think this is an issue
that I am not really competent to address as I am without direct
experience. I follow the coversation threads here and I have
studied them a bit in college, but I suspect that many would
discount my opinions as those of a "Hearie" and their value (if
any) diminished. The little I would say that I would just suspect
perhaps much depends on the upbringing of the Deaf child and what
works best. I do know both Mainstream and residentially educated
Deaf persons who seem to be doing quite well in life and who seem
satisfied and well adjusted to the social environs.

One thing I suppose I can address, even if I am a "later" hearing
impaired, is that I agree with your thoughts concerning the
breaking down of barriers and the coming together of people. I
think it is incumbent upon (I hate this expression) the "hearing
world" to face its part in this matter and to understand what it is
that Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons want and need to do and to
educate and address themselves to these issues. On the other hand.
it then becomes important for the Deaf not to turn a cold shoulder
when sincerely motivated hearing persons try to make such attempts.
Even I, have seen this happen a number of times. This is not an
area I am unfamiliar with because it is not peculiar to Deaf people
but exists for those of us who have other problems or multiple
handicaps. Actually, what "I" see is this, whether we are talking
about Deaf, Blind or what have you, it is not just a matter of
Deafies versus Hearies but rather that it has "always" been very
difficult for those of us who cannot hear, who cannot see, who
cannot walk and Et Cetera, to get the real attention of society at
large. Therefore it is understandable that we bond together with
those who are like us and understand. It becomes an extended family
and easily evolves (sometimes) into an "Us against them" isolation.
I personally believe that society at large has the greater
responsibility here, but putting up walls and isolating will not
get us the things we want. It would seem to me, that it requires
climbing over or breaking through those walls. Easier said than
done, there is noone that has to tell me that!

Keepin' the faith!

.                            Vixen

..."Running through the jungle!"

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13813

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

You speak often about deaf people being inflexible, but I don't hear
much from you about hearing people being inflexible.

   Jay "Bent over backwards so much I'm almost a contortionist" Croft

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13817

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Why not let us deafies, hard of hearies, hearing impaireds etc call
OURSELVES what WE want to be called?

Residential schools letting deafies graduate with 4th grade reading
levels? It is not because th eschools are residential, it is because
it is hearie dominated and they refuse to recognize the child is deaf,
needs to master a 1st language that is natural to the child and us
ethat to build the 2nd language , English on. The problem is what I
insist is unintended ignorance about the deaf and the true requirements
for qwuality education. Mainstreamed programs do no better despite
much ballyhoo to the contrary. Isolation? We deafies don't really consider
ourselves isolated, at least not the attitudal or cultural deaf. I
believe if we had less hearie control over our educational programs,
we'd see an increased readng level of the deaf. Why else do so many
daef kids of deaf parents who are culturally deaf achieve high levels
than deafies from hearing homes? If what happens withthese kids incidentally
could be tapped for all deaf kids formally, we'd see mainstreaming
and residential schools both have a greater positive impact on the
deaf child's progress.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (03/08/91)

Index Number: 13851

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) writes:

| I think the whole problem lies with deaf people not being flexible
| with what needs to be changed/improved.  I abhor the terms "hearie"
| and "deafie".  I don't like labels because we are PEOPLE first, not
| DEAF or HEARING folks first...
|
| I also have to say this - not all people with hearing losses are
| DEAF...some are really HOH.  There are many types of hearing loss.
| I do not mind saying I am deaf.  I just think it sounds better
| when referring to certain issues to use hearing impaired or hearing
| impairment.
|
| There is more to life than being deaf and until others accept that,
| they will be able to accept their deafness or hearing loss.

Ann,

I'm 100% behind you, and I completely concur with you.  We are just
people who have a hearing problem.  Hearing impaired sounds much better
than deaf.  Also, I believe in oralism however manualism (sign) is fine.
Alot of people thought I am hard of hearing so hearing impaired is A
HIDDEN HANDICAP.

Janice
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
Internet==>  NARDANDRACC.FAU.EDU
PRODIGY ==>  PPDX17A

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13866

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Perhaps the labels are only used by those involved with deaf culture
and believe me, you are in the minority of the whole hearing impaired
population.

I personally think labels are so uncalled for and perhaps that is
what is wrong with our society.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13868

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > Nevertheless, my reply still holds about my needing a relay
 > and TDDs etc.  In other words, both hearing people (e.g.
 > my family/friends) and deaf people (me) need the relay
 > to communicate with me and vice versa.

I, too, depend on the relay service, Karen.  I also use my BBS to
chat with many of my friends.  My family has always had a TDD or
two to communicate with me as well as my siblings - some relatives
outside of the immediate family as well have a TDD.  I've even had
friends go out and purchase a TDD so they could keep in touch with
me.

I think Jay is under the misconception that a lot of us do not know
what we are talking about.  (Tacky shot, I know...(grin))

I hope I will be able to meet you in person when I attend the SHHH
convention in late June/early July.  It's always such a pleasure
to meet those one has chatted with or exchanged messages with via
this medium face to face.  I often meet my users eventually as we
try to have Cholesterol Saturday Breakfasts from time to time - it
really gets very interesting at times and we do have a good time.

Guess I got a little sidetracked here - but that's okay.  Anything
pretty much goes around here.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13884

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Labels smabels. In the minority me? You admit that you are not part of the
"Deaf Culture" so in all honesty, where do youget your info that I am in
the minority? I associate a great deal with deafies. And we call ourselves
deafies. There are exceptions but "they" are the minority. Since you don't
associate so much with deafies, nor as far as I gather, are a
Gallaudetian, what do you know about us, really? Don't take offnse at this
but think about it. Imagine a Caucasian telling an African-American that
the A-A is in the minority by calling himself A-A instead of Black. The
Caucasian who stays up in his Beverly Hills home and hobknobs with the
rich and famous and maybe a few A-A's who are not representative of their
people. Just where is such a person's authority to tell the true A-A he is
inthe minority concerning his self-perception? Itis almost laughable when
you think about it. Long live Deafdom!
     Seriously, Anne, give me s survey showing me I am wrong.Names,
self-perception, reasons, etc tec etc. Then I will believe you. My
personal experience from one end of the USA to the other with lots of
deafies says I am right. Or come to the clas of 1972 reunion at Gallaudet
next summer and restate your claim before over 100 people. If you live, I
will call you god, lord of all and worship every word you utter.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13934

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

The Deaf Community will be more accepting of those who are not culturally
deaf when the non-culturally deaf stop looking down at deafies. When
such people do not behave as it they are our betters or act like false
friends, we will accept them. Too often we see people like my friend
Hugh, who says things like, "I am not likethose deaf people. I talk
fine and I can get along with hearing people. i hear better than they
do." etc etc. Naturally with an attitude likethis we say to heck with
you. Then you get people who come around, sit inthe back somewhere
and make fun of us or who don't really participate. These people also
look down on our beloved language of ASL which we did not in thepast,
do not now nor ever will let go of. Seeing as how non-culturally deaf
do not accept us, itis only human that we treat them as we are treated,
with rejection. I think it is a darn shame, just as bigotry and hate
is a shame,but there it is staring us inthe face and mocking the name
we give ourselves-homo sapien, intelligent man. What a laugh.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13942

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I'm going to make one comment and then I'd like to suggest we drop
this topic, okay?

Until those of you who are a part of "Deaf Apartheit" (to coin Jack's
term) quit acting radical and making things difficult for the rest
of us, nothing is ever going to improve for any of us.  It is time
to quit labeling, quit building barriers, quit isolation, etc.
and all try to work together as a whole to educate the unknown and
show how things can be improved so we all will get the full benefit
of living independently and as REAL people - not as deaf people.

Enough said - let's move on.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13950

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > I bought two TDDs from Ultratec and received them in January
 > of this year, but had to send them back for repair because
 > they weren't working 100 percent out of the box.  The Superprint
 > 400 had trouble charging the batteries and the Compact
 > TDD couldn't retain the data in its memory nor could it
 > make phone calls anymore after the first one.  What a bummer.....

I, too, have a Superprint 400a by Ultratec along with two Krown
Research models which are really my favorite.  I don't think I'm
familiar with the Compact TDD - is it anything similar to the
Intele-Type by Ultratec?  I keep my Superprint 400a hooked up
to my other phone line at all times using direct connect and the
nice auto-answer feature.  I've never had any problems using UPS
as I use them often for hardware/peripherials/software, etc.
for the CPU.  Isn't there a dealer in your area (Denver) where
you could have purchased the units directly?  We have several
in Oklahoma and there are a lot of them in the Dallas/FW area
where you can try them out on a trial basis before purchase.

Oh, I'm so glad you are going to make this year's SHHH convention.
The SilentTalkers will all have to get together for dinner,
gab session and perhaps satisfy our fix of BBSing during the
convention.  I attended my first SHHH convention last summer
in LR and had a great time.

BTW - are you familiar with Listen-Up in Denver?  There are
several of these stores but the main one is on Pearl Street.
A very close relative of mine is the owner - Walt Stinson.

I feel confident that techology will improve in the future but
I do feel it'll be with laptops and perhaps that little pocket
gadget one can carry around to print out conversations/voices
in crowds and the like.  Wouldn't it be neat to chat away
at one end of the room and pick up conversations at the other
end?  (HA HA - talk about nosy!!!)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

Dean.Carey@f27.n143.z1.fidonet.org (Dean Carey) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13952

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

   Co-workers at the surplus store I put in part-time say they are
confused sometimes when the operator says that she is a relay
operator and is the person answering the phone ready to receive
information.
   Their complaint is that they are sure the call is a mistake and
usually say that the person must have a wrong number. Sometimes they
have hung up. I have posted fliers from the Relay Service and asked
them if they could send pamphletts to those companies which they
call for clients so persons who answer the phone could be aware of
the service performed and not think it to be a crank call.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!143!27!Dean.Carey
Internet: Dean.Carey@f27.n143.z1.fidonet.org

StEpHeN.wHiTe@p1.f853.n681.z3.fidonet.org (StEpHeN wHiTe) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13959

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Deafness is a state of mind, not a condition.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!681!853.1!StEpHeN.wHiTe
Internet: StEpHeN.wHiTe@p1.f853.n681.z3.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/15/91)

Index Number: 13975

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 >    Co-workers at the surplus store I put in part-time say
 > they are confused sometimes when the operator says that
 > she is a relay operator and is the person answering the
 > phone ready to receive information.
 >    Their complaint is that they are sure the call is a mistake
 > and usually say that the person must have a wrong number.
 > Sometimes they have hung up. I have posted fliers from
 > the Relay Service and asked them if they could send pamphletts
 > to those companies which they call for clients so persons
 > who answer the phone could be aware of the service performed
 > and not think it to be a crank call.

Perhaps there needs to be some media coverage about this or
perhaps you could contact someone at your local phone company to
see if they could possibly add an insert with the phone bills
explaining this service.

When the relay service first started in Oklahoma nearly 3 years
ago, no one understood what it was all about but now that we've
had media coverage (newspapers, TV, and the like) along with
working closely with SW Bell on printing information about this
along with the 800 toll free number in the phone directory, I
believe more people in Oklahoma are aware of what this service
provides.

I usually try to explain to others when I give out my phone
number and the relay number how it works.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

janice.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Janice Nardandrea) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14061

> Janice
> Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
> Internet==>  NARDANDRACC.FAU.EDU
> PRODIGY ==>  PPDX17A

My humanly error, not the computer error!

Internet address should be:  NARDANDR@ACC.FAU.EDU

Janice

Karen.Keil@f809.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Karen Keil) (03/28/91)

Index Number: 14521

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Re: Shake  Awake alarm clock:

In my last post, I said that you could send $24.95 plus $2.50 to the
company to get the clock.  I sent for it in September 1990 (about).

The clock you mentioned being at Sharper Image stores---I checked it
out at the Sharper Image store near where I work--and it is slightly
different than my model.  The store model has a sound alarm feature
in addition to all the others.  Mine has only the vibrating
alarm--no sound alarm.

Karen