[misc.handicap] One handed UNIX, Emacs for disabled person?

danj1@ihlpz.att.com (Daniel Jacobson) (03/30/91)

Index Number: 14582

[Note from Bill Mcgarry: See next article]

Hello.  Has anybody got ideas for using mainframe UNIX or computers in
general for a disabled person with use of only the right hand?  I am
thinking of recommending a terminal with two "control" keys (e.g., the
Teletype 4425) instead of the usual one.  [Turning to editors:] Also
making heavy use of GNU Emacs numerical keypad programmability, but
then again perhaps running it in VI emulation to avoid the old
control-key finger stretch.  [Also perhaps having a control key prefix
character, just like ESC means "Meta-" ...]  The mouse also seems
important.  Of course there's the possibility of just using plain VI,
however I have not met the person yet and am not yet aware of their
future customization needs.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry) (03/30/91)

Index Number: 14583

danj1@ihlpz.att.com (Daniel Jacobson) writes:
> Hello.  Has anybody got ideas for using mainframe UNIX or computers in
> general for a disabled person with use of only the right hand?

There is a program called "hsh" which allows someone running
Unix to use the control and shift keys with only one finger.
The program was written by Ole Bjorn Hessen.

A copy of the source (in C), makefile and man page will be sent
to you tonight.

If you're interested in similar utilities for the PC, just
let me know.  There are several programs which I have here
which will help.

Anyone else who is interested please let me know.

                                Bill McGarry

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (04/03/91)

Index Number: 14598

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

>Hello.  Has anybody got ideas for using mainframe UNIX or computers in
>general for a disabled person with use of only the right hand?  ...
> [ also asks about text editors ]

I think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so I'm building myself
a chord keyboard.  This consists of 5 buttons on a flat mounting,
one for each digit.  I'm adding a space bar.  I'm mounting it in a
5"x7"x1" project box.  I'm interfacing it all to an IBM PC.

With an IBM PC parallel port, pull an open switch to ground and a closed
switch to 5V.  Run all 6 switches through a 7405 hex open-collector inverter,
wire-NOR all the outputs, and you get a switch-down interrupt line on
the parallel port.  (The interrupt handler has to poll until a switch
goes up.  You can avoid this inefficiency with many chips instead of one:
debounce the switch inputs, sample&hold all switch-downs, any interrupt on
any switch-up.  I'm too lazy to do all this design & wiring.)

Now for graphics input:
Get a Konami Nintendo-compatible ZapGun Helmet ($40).  The Nintendo ZapGun is
a light pen with a narrow lens in the barrel.   The Konami Helmet puts
the lens in a monocle, and a binary switch in a microphone.  Any noise
closes the switch.  You also get stereo headphones.  You should be able
to interface the light pen to real, IBM-compatible Hercules, CGA, and EGA
display adapters.  One VGA chip manufacturer, Cirrus (Fremont, CA)
claims to support light pens.  I'm researching this one.

You won't be able to draw free-hand with such a head-mouse, but you should
be able to select screen buttons.

An alternative for graphics input is something underfoot, if the
disabled person has use of the peds.  The IBM joystick card gives
your 4 switch inputs and 4 resistor A-D inputs.

Dr. Douglas Englebart, inventor of the chord keyboard, mouse,
WIMP interface, and many other things, claimed in a recent seminar
that the chord keyboard group ran a big experiment to determine the
difficulty of learning a chord keyboard.  They hired a bunch of
office temps and carefully did the whole experimental-control group
protocol.  One group got special hands-on training, the other group
got written instructions and were left alone.  Both groups were keying
away madly in 2 hours, and the experiment was a washout.  Chord keyboards
are easy.

Dr. Englebart sat there chording with his left hand, mousing with his
right, and talking simultaneously, showing off a really slick hypertext
system his group wrote 25 years ago.  It was very impressive.

Good luck,

Lance Norskog

schwartz@nynexst.com (Steven Schwartz) (04/10/91)

Index Number: 14659

The first idea that comes to mind is foot pedals for chords, i.e. SHIFT,
CTRL, META.  Previous studies have shown that foot-shifting, as opposed to
finger-shifting, does not increase work efficiency for the average person.
For the disabled, it could be a tremendous help.
- --
S. H. Schwartz						schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory				914-683-2960
NYNEX Science and Technology Center
White Plains NY 10604