[misc.handicap] Information Chain

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13750

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi All,

    My friend Lisa and I  have decided to start a new project. It's
called Adaptive Equipment Information Chain. It is a small project with
big hopes and big ideas. We invision a data file which has the names and
addresses of users of adaptive equipment. We are  users of adaptive
equipment, former greenhorns who have had their share of bad experiences,
and persons who have experienced the benefits of networking. We feel
that this is a worthwhile source of information which is being ignored.
If you would like to help us start this project, please  contact one
of the two of us, and we will send you a form. Our addresses are as
follows:

me, Ann Parsons
FIDO 1:260/204
GENIE: A.Parsons3
Lisa Carmelle
UUCP: Lisa@WA3WBU.UUCP
GENIE: L.Carmelle

    Thanks so much for your cooperation. We believe that with your
help, we can strengthen the already forming network of individuals
who are helping each other to access a wider world.

Ann P.

+KJ,a3dL7KZd=JobFQ1DJ---

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14036

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Hi Andy,

 AA> In a message of <14 Feb 91>, Ann Parsons (1:260/204.0) writes:

 AP>> would like to help us start this project, please  contact one of
 AP>> the two of us, and we will send you a form. Our addresses are as
 AP>> follows:
 AA> I would be happy to help if possible,what type of equipment are
 AA> you referring to? Do you mean stuff like Hand Controls for an
 AA> automobile,or what? Andy

Well, that'll teach me to be a bit clearer won't it? No, Andy, what
I was refering to was adapted computer equipment. This idea grew
very fast out of a discussion that took place on the GENIE
Disabilities BB. The discussion started with a couple of people
commiserating that they had had such bad experiences trying to get
adapted equipment, and couldn't this be stopped? We went on to
discuss the fact that many people are forced to buy stuff that
their Offices of Voc Rehab recommend, when they don't even know
what they're being given: what it looks like, how much space it
takes up, how complicated the controls are, how much training (an
honest answer, not, "Oh, sure you can learn the equipment in no
time),  and if there are any bugs, bad service reps, things it will
not do, things it will do, extra features not mentioned that apply
to that person's needs, etc.

All these factors are somewhat overlooked by the majority of Voc
Rehab services. The reason for this is that many social service
agencies buy equipment under contract from certain vendors. Much of
the time, this equipment is good and will serve its purpose.
Sometimes, as in the case of Soft Vert, for example, there are many
other programs which do a better job than Soft Vert, (you could use
any number of programs/computers/adaptations, I'm just picking that
one in particular).

After more discussion, Lisa and I said to each other that we ought
to start a data base of users of adapted equipment who'd be willing
to act as mentors/information givers/demonstrators to those who are
looking for adaptive equipment. What we want to do is to provide
needy people with a list of names of people who are using the
equipment. This service would prove invaluable to a novice because
he/she could contact these folks and thereby choose what to buy,
or, at least be aware and conversant with the equipment that has
been chosen for him/her by voc rehab.

I have had the very good luck to have fallen on my feet when it
comes to the choice of computer hardware and software I bought. I
knew people who wer fully conversant with computers and also I knew
people who were willing to talk to me about what they were using,
and in two cases, showed me in hands-on demos what I needed to
know. This is what we're working toward.

I'll send you a form via netmail, ok.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14703

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]