[misc.handicap] For Your Information

Ann.Stalnaker@f129.n700.z6.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13739

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Yet another message of interest for you all!

TO........All

FROM......Charles Dittmeier

SUBJECT...Missile Alert for the Deaf

DATE......11:53pm   31-Jan-91

The International Herald-Tribune ran the following today:
  An Israeli inventor, Jonathan Rabinowitz of Tel Aviv's
  University School of Social Work, has come up with a
  visual missile alert for the deaf.  It monitors radio
  waves and flashes a light as well as sounding a buzzer
  when the sirens go off.  It also reports when the all-
  clear sounds.
It's a rather sad commentary on the state of the world
when equal rights and accessibility necessitate a visual
missile alert!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!6!700!129!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@f129.n700.z6.fidonet.org

James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org (James Womack) (04/04/91)

Index Number: 14619

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Ralph, I won't be posting personally authored messages on Silent Talk
henceforth. I think I have been too "Deaf" in my views and dared to
defend some outright attacks on ASL and the culturally deaf once too
often. I have seen ASL blamed for thelow education level of deaf kids.
I have seen statements saying all residential schools should be closed
and all deaf kids mainstreamed and put downs on the Deaf Community.
However, I do believe that one should follow the rules of the other
guy's system so I will be doing that.

Unless I am denied access, you will see research data, excerpts from
the news and such posted with only perhaps an introductory phrase as
source, author or condensations of text to clarify the quotations.
I will not respond to messages directly addressed to me except in regards
to further information about the data itself. About once a month, I
will log onto the DEAF BBS in Maryland ( I think) to associate with
distant deafies like myself. Jay is also a member of the board. If
you have a Pa. BBS, leave the number, perhaps I will log on so we will
have an avenue of conversation and share on-going research in ASL and
other deaf related matters. Adios!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!14!James.Womack
Internet: James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org

peters@ee.udel.edu (Shirley Peters) (04/12/91)

Index Number: 14783

In article <18492@bunker.isc-br.com> James.Womack@f14.n300.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 14619
>
>Ralph, I won't be posting personally authored messages on Silent Talk
>henceforth. I think I have been too "Deaf" in my views and dared to
>defend some outright attacks on ASL and the culturally deaf once too
>often. I have seen ASL blamed for the low education level of deaf kids.
>I have seen statements saying all residential schools should be closed
>and all deaf kids mainstreamed and put downs on the Deaf Community.
>However, I do believe that one should follow the rules of the other
>guy's system so I will be doing that.

I would like to add my two cents here.  I am a hearing person who is
currently learning about the Deaf, their/your languages, and their/your
culture.  I think that the debate that was raging here about ASL vs.
Oralism was very instructive to all of us who were silently reading
along.  Obviously, the flaming made it a bit uncomfortable, but the
information given by all parties was very well thought out and
informative, albeit overly biased to one side or the other.  With James
giving up because of the heat, we loose the opportunity to hear
personal opinions, histories, and preferences, which will help the rest
of the readers make decisions about their own opinions.

I think that the main reason for the personal attacks is that the
people involved have such completely different experiences that they
have a hard time conceiving of the other person's views, and therefore
have a hard time accepting the other viewpoint as valid.

It's hard to put yourself in someone elses shoes, when you've gone
barefoot all your life.

I, for one, would like to beg James to stay and keep offering his
opinions.  I would also like everyone to agree to disagree, and instead
of cutting down someone elses ideas, make yours so appealing, that
everyone else will want to change their mind!  (in other words, a
positive campaign)

Keep on debating, you'd be surprised how many people are listening and
learning!

Shirley
Shirley Peters                                       peters@dewey.udel.edu
                        I'd rather be sleeping!