[misc.handicap] Greetings!

Lana.Berrington@f34.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Lana Berrington) (03/01/90)

Index Number: 7003

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

LW>> us in what
LW>> ways you mean by altering the camp programing for the HI
LW>> campers?

     Well.. our goal  of  course is to alter NOTHING.  However campfires
were my prime concern.  Another concern of mine is the singing of graces.
As with most camps we Sing a grace before the start of a meal.  (ie; Johnny
Applesead etcc.).  My Sign Language instructor seems very intent that we
should have campers sign the graces.  Particularly since HI camp will be
taking place with all the other camps.  All the other campers will be
standing for grace and my instructor thinks it would be good for all the
campers (HI and not).  The non hearing impaired campers could learn
something new by making an effort to learn the signs. (my sign language
instructor  by the way is hearing impaired).

 # Origin: Farpoint Station VHST 14.4K * (403)569-0000 Calgary AB (8:7500/55)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!34!Lana.Berrington
Internet: Lana.Berrington@f34.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Lana.Berrington@f34.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Lana Berrington) (03/01/90)

Index Number: 7004

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

(whoops.. CTRL-Z'ed instead of ctrl-Q <Grin>

     as I was saying...

     Anyways.. at the camp where I work we accomadate many different age
groups at the same time.  The youngest campers stay for only one week while
the rest stay for 2 weeks.    During the course of the summer we run two
specialty camps, which take the place of young campers section.  One is
Cystic Fibrosis camp .. and this year for  the first time the other will be
Hearing Impaired Camp.  To Staff our specialty camps we generally use the
same staff that have been hired to work for the summer.  Unfortunatly this
means that the counsellors will know only minimal sign language.  It is a
group  of some sort that is leasing our facilities and our staff for the
week for HI camp this year.  Our pride at CCH is that we boast a group of
the most enthusiastic and eager-to-learn  Staff members around, you can bet
that the bunch of em will be practicing their signlanguage eagerly as soon
as they have their placement.

LW>> the deaf campers by a campfire.  We didn't sing at all, for
LW>> that would be kinda silly and it would be very boring since
LW>> we couldn't hear the singing.  So, what we did was to do
LW>> the rehearsals for the mimes and playacting in stories.

    YA!.. that sounds great.   Skits, stories, games... just what I was
thinking.... this is gonna be a great deal of fun.

LW>> out a story. It was a big hit!  Everyone loved it! I never
LW>> forget the fantastic experience back then!

      Absloutly!!  Camping is one of the greatest things going...  We just
finished celebrating 100years of Ymca camping in Canada and I hope i'm
around for the next 100.  Thanks you very much for your help , I hope I can
continue to draw from your experience.

              ~ <*Lana*> ~

 # Origin: Farpoint Station VHST 14.4K * (403)569-0000 Calgary AB (8:7500/55)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!34!Lana.Berrington
Internet: Lana.Berrington@f34.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (03/01/90)

Index Number: 7006

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Greetings to yourself!  Glad to have you join us, Lana.

As to your questions about an "hearing impaired" camp week, may I ask
if these children are signers or oral?  I attended quite a few camps
as a child but none of them were for the HI.  I think a "sing-song"
would be loads of fun, whether it be oral or in sign.  Even though
most hearing impaired folks cannot carry a tune, it's still loads of
fun to sing.  Who cares about being in tune?  It's the fun part of
participating that matters most.

Campfires are the MOST fun, especially toasting marshmallows, putting
on skits, etc.  I think having a lot of extra lights on hand so everyone
can see each other.  Might be fun to give each child a candle or have
a laser show of some sorts with flares, etc.  Or make little signs
with paint that glows in the dark.

It's been many years since I've participated in anything of this sort
and am not really involved with any young ones at this time other than
small children of friends or school children involved in computer labs.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

moth@dartmouth.edu (Tom Leathrum) (03/03/90)

Index Number: 7048

In message 6910, Lana.Berrington@f34.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Lana Berrington) writes:

     Well.. our goal  of  course is to alter NOTHING.  However campfires
were my prime concern.  Another concern of mine is the singing of graces.
As with most camps we Sing a grace before the start of a meal.  (ie; Johnny
Applesead etcc.).  My Sign Language instructor seems very intent that we
should have campers sign the graces.  Particularly since HI camp will be
taking place with all the other camps.  All the other campers will be
standing for grace and my instructor thinks it would be good for all the
campers (HI and not).  The non hearing impaired campers could learn
something new by making an effort to learn the signs.

and in message 6911:

[...]

- ---End of Qouted Material

All this sounds wonderfully familiar to me.  I worked for many summers
(well, OK, only four...) at a camp in South Carolina which always ran
two parallel camps.  I worked in Camp Hope, which held four one-week
sessions and one two-week session for mentally handicapped, followed by
a one-week session, called Camp Running Brave, for children with
hemophilia.  The other camp on the site, Camp Sertoma, ran all one-week
sessions:  four for underpriveledged children, two for hearing
impaired, and one for visually impaired (called Camp Lion's Den).
These summers were an important time for me.  Anyway, I understand your
concerns and would like to lend some input from my experiences.  As I
said, I did not work at the camps for hearing impaired, but I feel like
I learned quite a bit of sign language anyway.  The counselors who
worked the camps for hearing impaired generally did not come in to the
program knowing sign (in a staff of ten to fifteen counselors for that
camp, usually no more than three or four had prior training in sign),
but they *all* knew it by the end of the summer.  Not only was the
staff eager to learn the language, the campers proved generally eager
to help them learn (especially all the good words!).  We generally
"sang" grace, too, and one of the people who knew sign would stand at
the front and sign the songs (we also had the words written on
posters).  The children in the camp for hearing impaired followed along
beautifully, and the other campers were sometimes positively awestruck
at seeing people sign the songs -- I found myself, many times, teaching
one of my mentally handicapped campers how to sign "Johnny Appleseed"
(actually, that song was one of the more difficult ones).  I think I
also follow your concern about campfires, but I don't see why they
should be more of a concern for hearing impaired campers than for any
other group of campers.  The whole issue here is safety, and any camp
should have such concerns in mind from the very beginning -- the most
important case of this being, of course, swimming.

I know all this is saying is "go for it," but I couldn't possibly be
enthusiastic enough about saying that.  If you have any more questions
that I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to write to me,
or post to the group, whichever you like.

Regards,
Tom Leathrum
moth@dartmouth.edu

------- End of Unsent Draft

Charlotte.Ferris@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Charlotte Ferris) (09/21/90)

Index Number: 10562

        Hello, echo people....I'm another new one here and would like to get
acquainted. I'm just shy of 41, live in Austin, TX, married for years but
recently divorced (make that 5 years---pardon my typo, I haven't mastered
the editor yet). My disability is post-polio, and yes, I have been
experiencing problems with post-polio syndrome since about 1985 or possibly
a little earlier. July 4th of last year I caught pneumonia and was hospital-
ized for 9 weeks. I was trached and on a ventilator for 8 months but weaned
myself off of the blasted machine in spite of my doctor's continuing
attempts to discourage me. (Twenty years ago I might not have been so hard-
headed!). Had to drop out of a grad program due to my illness and slow re-
cuperation, so you could say I'm kind of casting about now, seeking my next
direction....I've been computing for a little over two years and love every
minute of it.....can't wait till they get the N.Y. Times on-line, and on my
Christmas wish list is a CD-ROM player complete with the OED on optical
disk! Is that too much to ask? haha.
        Anyway, I'd like to talk to everybody, and I'm especially interested
in getting discussions going around the various issues related to post-
polio and the "syndrome"....
        Comments? Questions? Curses? Blessings? Witty epigrams?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!5!Charlotte.Ferris
Internet: Charlotte.Ferris@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org

cas@mtdcb.att.com (Cliff Stevens) (10/02/90)

Index Number: 10690

[Note from Bill Mcgarry: See the next article entitle "Post Polio
Syndrome" for an answer.]

Enlighten us, what is Post Polio?
------------
Militant Handicapped Survivor!
	Cliff Stevens	MT1E228  att!cbnewsj!ncas  (908)671-7292

Lois.Briggs@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Lois Briggs) (04/12/91)

Index Number: 14803

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 > I have had limited vision for all of my life, but the eye
 > doctor that I
 > started to see when I was in the third grade did not think
 > he should
 > tell me or my family that I had RP.  He claims not to have
 > known, but I

I know just what you mean, the same thing happened to me.  I belong
to ACB and did belong to Golden Triangle Council for two years.  I
have found it most helpful in more ways than I can say to know as
many blind people as possible.  Even if this is the beginning of you
getting to know some of us it will be good in the long run.  Type
to you later.
Lois

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!Lois.Briggs
Internet: Lois.Briggs@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org