[misc.handicap] braille translators

Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Daveed Mandell) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12606

What experience have people had with Duxbury, PC Braille, Hot Dots, and
Turbo Braille, and NFBtrans?
How did you find them as far as translation quality, formatting, ease
of
use, and support?  PC-Braille requires purchase of a $200 module to wrk
well with WordPerfect, whereas Turbo Braille does not.
Are PC Braille and Duxbury both the Cadillacs of
translators?  Any comparisons, comments, detaqils,and
other info you can furnish would be vry much appreciated.
Seems to me Tom is an expert on this topc.
Anyone else?
--Daveed--

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Daveed.Mandell
Internet: Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Isaac Obie) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12607

one of the most important things about software is technical support.
buying pc braille will elicit comments like "read chapter four". that's
one reason i stayed away from that one. duxbury is easier to operate
because it's just a matter of say i got a program called daveed. i
translate it this way, braille daveed 25 40.
25  is number of lines. 40 characters on a line. then it becomes
daveed.brf. then when i want to braille it, i write brfout daveed.
that's it! does that give you an idea? i have a friend who uses pc
braille and problems with inquiries about support. hot dots is liked by
some, but it will be hard to get tre the real story behind the story,
but persistence shall net you a sweet fruit

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Isaac.Obie
Internet: Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Daveed Mandell) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12609

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I thoght PC-Braille has these add-ons for ASCII and WordPerfect
files which are analogous to the easy Duxbury commands you explained.
Aren't they called WP-Sift and PC-Sift?
Anyway, thanks very much.  How do you like your
VersaPoints?
--What's your number and prices again?
-Daveed-
/ex

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Daveed.Mandell
Internet: Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Isaac Obie) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12610

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

hi daveed, i like the versapointquite well, thank you. i was
impressed 6he very first time  ,i ever saw it. gail yarnall
brought j it over at my request and  set it up. it did a print
out of itself. then it did sideways printing. needless to say, i
was quite impressed. i also have the uncany ability to lay my
hands onsomething and say "i want it! or not for me". i've never
been wrong as far as i can remember. now, the scanner we have is
relatively new and it is fussxy about the quality of print. it
has truescan or imaging, bot that is icon-driven. this means
that a blind person sometimes needs assistance, but most of the
time the scanned materials are quite legible. otherwise, the
customer will not be charged. it is ten cents a page if it is
brailled from ibm-compatible diskette and fifteen cents for
scanned materills per braille page. daveed, one other comment
about braille printers. , the versapoint from tsi, the index
advanced, from humanware, and the romeo 40, from enabling
technology are all pricedabout thesame. that's about $3800. the
index advanced has been revamped so you no longer load the paper
from underneath. it also has paper  thickness and width control.
it has both serial and parallel ports. which means you can run
it from either computer. (this is an aside, i have an apple
superserial card that needs a jumper block. can you use it? if
so, you are welcome to it.) so, the advanced is only 28 pounds
asm as opposed to the vp's 39. makes lifting it easier on your
back when you're close to forty or older. so you have quite a
lot to see and choose from! ask gail for a demonstration. call
986:6132 or information in randolph and ask for telesensory
systems inc. how's that for information? catch n you.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Isaac.Obie
Internet: Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (01/03/91)

Index Number: 12622

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I have Duxbury and fine its translating excellent.
The problem I have is that it sometimes takes a lot of
formatting and work with the document in the word processor
before you can braille it and have it look good.

I wish Duxbury would offer a tape tutorial on how the program works
and how to easily format documents.

My biggest problem is finding the time to dig in and learn how to use it.

Steve/

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (01/04/91)

Index Number: 12648

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

David, if you are looking for all around ease of use and well
formatted Braille without paying an arm and a leg you really should
check out Turbo Braille.  Although I am not a registered Turbo
Braille user as yet, I am working on that, I have used the demos of
it enough in a variety of situations and with a lot of different
kinds of documents and have been very satisfied with it.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a simple, streight
forward software that puts out very acceptable, although not always
correctly translated, Braille; then take a look at /Brailletalk
from GW Micro.  I guess what I like about it is that it is menu
driven and you can teach a non-computer literate wink or blink to
use it in less than half an hour and know that they will give you
decent Braille translations back without having to spend months
teaching them all kinds of editing commands, etc.

For personal use you are probably going to be happier with Turbo,
but if you have to get quick Braille prepared by a person in the
office that knows nothing about computers then Brailletalk may be
the better choice.  If you want perfection and don't mind the
amount of time it takes and the money it costs for the translator
go ahead and get Duxburry, but don't expect to do any translating
the first day you get it, you'll never understand how to use it
that fast.
     D. T.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210.0!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (01/04/91)

Index Number: 12649

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

David, forgot to mention in my last message, Hot Dots is the IBM
attempt at duplicating what Raised Dots Computing has done with BEX
on the Apple.  Unfortunantly, it is not all that good an attempt,
and comes no place close to the quality translation of BEX.  But,
truth is I have yet to see any translator for the IBM that can give
the transcription Braille quality of BEX.

     D. T.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210.0!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12868

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Linda, I've not heard of a tutorial for Duxbury, but it would sure
come in handy.  All of the DOC files are on disk so you can print
themoff in braille if you wish.

I have not used any other braille translator and right now don't have
the funds to buy another one just to try.

I chose Duxbury because it was recommended to me because it offered
the best braille translation, however, it was considered one of the
more difficult to use when you get in to formatting.  Doing basic
stuff is super super easy and quick.

Steve/

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12869

In a message of <15 Dec 90  00:04:35>, Daveed Mandell (1:101/460) writes:

 > >How about PC-Braille from Arts?  What do you like about Turbo Braille,
 >and is Duxbury much better than Turbo Braille, format-wise as well as
 >translation-wise?
 >--Daveed--

David, I do not have the latest version of PC Braille or Duxburry,
but I would say that a lot of the difference in the quality of the
translation between Duxburry and Turbo Braille are going to depend
on how much time you want to spend inserting the special codes to
get exactly what you want out.  Either of the translators are good
if you want to spend the time inserting the special codes.  Turbo
Braille will be easier to get decent format out without special
codes than Duxburry, but I think you would be very disappointed
with PC Braille

Remember too that in order to get a lot of the special features
offered by Duxburry you will pay over $700 for that translator.  If
you are concerned about the best possible formatting and have the
time to put in the extra work to insert the special comands in your
document then go for the Duxburry, but the latest version of Turbo
Braille and a copy of Word Perfect or Wordstar will probably give
you almost as good a translation for less money and time.

The bottom line probably is what is the application for which you
wish to use the translator?  If it is for professional quality
translation for distribution to large numbers of Braille readers
then get duxburry and a person who can spend the time learning the
software really well and spend the time customizing each document
for translation.  But, I would think that for most of your personal
and professional Braille printing Turbo Braille will be able to
handle the job quite well.

     D. T.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210.0!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Linda Iverson) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12898

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Steve, are the Duxbury docs already formatted so all you have to
do is run them through your braille printer?  I understand there
is a way to automate lots of things.  I know NLS uses Duxbury.
I don't have the money to buy it now, but hope to some time in
the future.  I really think it and Turbo Braille would be the
way to go.
Take care,
Linda

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!33.0!Linda.Iverson
Internet: Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Linda Iverson) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12899

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Have any of you used the braille translator from Peter Duran?  How
does it compare as far as accuracy, flexibility in formatting and
ease of use and documentation with Duxbury and Turbo Braille?  Is
the company supportive?  Thanks.
Linda

--
ucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!33.0!Linda.Iverson
Internet: Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Daveed Mandell) (01/11/91)

Index Number: 12908

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Well, David. I just spoke with the folks at RDC -- and
they're coming out next month with version 3.0 of
Hot Dots.  It will sprt a new translator, and importing utilities
for some 30 word-processing programs.  Caryn told me
they're even thinking of supplying, either now, or furter
down the rad, a Transcribex-like rules table for transcribers!
If you really like BEX and TranscriBEX, please
cast your vote for such a feature in Hot Dots!
I look forward to it.  Seems while they're still
suporting the Apple, they've finally accepted the fact that the IBM and
compatibles is really were it's at now!
Cost will be $350.  If you order a VersaPoint, the
cost of Hot Dots will be about $275.
--Daveed--

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Daveed.Mandell
Internet: Daveed.Mandell@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (01/15/91)

Index Number: 12931

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (01/15/91)

Index Number: 12931

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Linda,
The Duxbury DOC files if I remember right are formatted and it is
veryeasy to prepare a file for printing.  It's been several months
since I brailled a DOC file I don't remember much about it.  So that
must mean I didn't have much trouble doing it <GRIN>.

To print a file in braille with Duxbury you run two Batch files and
sit back and wait until your printer stops.

Steve/

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Linda Iverson) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13156

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Thanks for the addresses and phone numbers.  I'd really hate to
spend $1100 for something that might not last long.  How much is
TSI selling Classics VSs for, or do they even have any?
American Thermoform has lowered their prices.  Another good
source is the NFB.  They sell paper for 1300 sheets for $39.00
but their paper is not punched.  Is the paper from American
Thermoform?  Anyway, I'll check all this out and thanks.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!33.0!Linda.Iverson
Internet: Linda.Iverson@p0.f33.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Isaac Obie) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13164

linda, i did share the information about the telebraille in
silenttalk.basically what i said was that it is a tdd or tty for
the deaf-blind. that it is using a modified navigator. that we
felt that it ought to have full navigator capabilities. tsi said
it has "potential". well that really upset me cause they sold a
cheap device and it's no good now and they are doing the same
again. plus those that evaluated the unit say they had all kinds
of problems with it. now as far as humanware goes, i am not
happy with them either. they don't return phone calls, they
don't have a technical support person, they have products that
are excellent, but lousy manuals. their products are made in
europe and translations are lousy. once they referred me to
someone in philadelphia for technical support. that's weird
because that person works for enabling technology. that's like
sending a ford owner to a g.m. dealer for service. now, don't
get me wrong, they have fantastic products, just lousy
management and service delivery capabilities. if i am going to
spend the next four or five years paying back seven thousand
dollars, i want attention!!! no, new ye'r's day i felt lousy, io
i just roasted a pr purdue oven stuffer. boring? so now you have
it. humanware is a good company, but i am n sure that they
really care about the customers. i bought something from them
recently and returned it after eight days because of lack of
attention. they break promises too. i've been talking, linda,
have you been reading? smile!! i'll look for cooking echoes on
some of my other boards. catch you.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Isaac.Obie
Internet: Isaac.Obie@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Greg.Floren@p0.f5.n119.z1.fidonet.org (Greg Floren) (02/05/91)

Index Number: 13438

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I just got a index advanced, and am using an old copy of hotdots.

I'm not very empressed.  What are others using and why.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!119!5.0!Greg.Floren
Internet: Greg.Floren@p0.f5.n119.z1.fidonet.org

Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Tanner) (02/05/91)

Index Number: 13474

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

If you are looking at the best for the money you ought to take a
look at Turbo Braille and if that one doesn't do it, which it
probably will, then take a look at BrailleTalk.  Both are good for
the novice, but Turbo Braille will probably be the most reliable
and accurate translation, best formatted, and the price is the same
for both programs.

Turbo Braille is available from Kansys Inc.  Braille Talk is
available from G. W. Micro.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210.0!Dave.Tanner
Internet: Dave.Tanner@p0.f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Tom Gerhart) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13532

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 DK> I am about ready to buy the Braille Blazer, and I was just
 DK> thinking about the same thing.

 DK> I really don't know what the best translater is, and I sure
 DK> would like to find out.

 DK> Especially the best for the dollar.

In that case try turbo Braille it has what you want for the money and it
great for personal use. tom G.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210!Tom.Gerhart
Internet: Tom.Gerhart@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13539

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I am using Duxbury.  It is a little complicated, but can indeed give
you braille that can look like it came from NLS.  For basic personal
braille, it does a great job.  Their technical support is outstanding.

Steve

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (02/06/91)

Index Number: 13541

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 DK> I am about ready to buy the Braille Blazer, and I was just
 DK> thinking about the same thing.

 DK> I really don't know what the best translater is, and I sure
 DK> would like to find out.

 DK> Especially the best for the dollar.

Probably the best for the dollar is Turbo Braille at $249.00.  It handles
WordPerfect and WordStar files automatically, and will handle most formatting
chores itself, or at least give you a head start.  Call 1-800-279-4880 for info
or a demo.

... Your Sound Alternative

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Downey) (03/14/91)

Index Number: 13905

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I've only had the Duxbury for about three weeks but I'm totally pleased
with it.  However it is pricey and it, if you really get into it, has a
lot tolearn.  I think I'll just stick with the basic translating.  I
have used Brailletalk for years and for the price it is a pretty good
program except that it never got along withmy Versapoint printer all
that well.  Duxbury is a real improvement and I'm enjoying it. Grant

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!381!9.0!Grant.Downey
Internet: Grant.Downey@p0.f9.n381.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14189

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 GD> Somewhere in the back of my mind the name Tactic rings a bell but I don't
 GD> get it.  Is it primarly a magazine new products for the blind or visually
 GD> empaired?  Where does it come from and who could I contact to get it?

Grant, it is primarily a consumer oriented magazine with articles
written by the consumers about various products etc.  You can get
it from the clovernook printing house and it comes out quarterly in
braille, for $10 a year.  I think that it is well worth the money.

If you don't have the address of the clovernook let me know, but I
immagine you have it already.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (03/28/91)

Index Number: 14509

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Grant, TACTIC is published quarterly in braille ($10) and large
($16) by Clovernook Printing House for the Blind, 7000 Hamilton Ave.,
Cincinnati, OH 45231.

The mag covers a wide variety of computer related products and
materials of interest to visually impaired persons.  Deborah Kendrick
is the editor.

Steve

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!291!6!Steve.Bauer
Internet: Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org

Mary.Otten@p0.f1055.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Mary Otten) (04/13/91)

Index Number: 14821

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I'm looking for opinions on braille translators. I just got, as sooon as
it get here I'll have it that is, an index braille embosser. I have a
demo copy of turbobraille, with which I'm rather impressed, and can get
my hands on pc-braille without much trouble. I use word perfect as my
processor and other than word perfect 5.1, which turbobraille doesn't
handle as yet, I'd be printing out ascii files. Does anybody have
anything reall good or bad to say about any translation software? If all
things are more or less equal, then I guess you go with what's cheapest.
Also, since Humanware isn't selling indexes anymore, although they're
continuing to service, has anybody heard if another dealer is selling
them statside? It would make me feel better if I knew another dealer was
picking up the product.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1055.0!Mary.Otten
Internet: Mary.Otten@p0.f1055.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Steve.Bauer@f6.n291.z1.fidonet.org (Steve Bauer) (04/13/91)

Index Number: 14840

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 MO> I'm looking for opinions on braille translators. I just got, as
 MO> sooon as it get here I'll have it that is, an index braille
 MO> embosser. I have a demo copy of turbobraille, with which I'm
I am currently using Duxbury.  I am very pleased with it.  Their
technial support is excellent.  Duxbury is however, the most complex
program if you want to do serious editing.  It also is the one that
will have the pjower to give you NLS quality/style braille.  Works
very well with WordPerfect files.

Steve