[misc.handicap] notex

Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Tommy Craig) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14155

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience using the Notex
refreshable braille display note taker. I would realy like to hear some
discussion on the pros and cons of this device. I am considering buying one
and any comments would be helpful.
Thanks
Tommy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!60!Tommy.Craig
Internet: Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Mario.Barbuto@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Mario Barbuto) (03/26/91)

Index Number: 14193

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

   Hi Tommy,
I had a Notex 24 for about two years and two months ago, I changed it with a
new Notex 40.
   I wrote a small program called "PC-TERM" to speed up Notex performance when
used as a "braille screen" of the PC.
   Unfortunately the Notex base-software has a strange way to operate when
connected in "display" mode, so that I can't get the maximum from the device.
   I sent in Germany a list of base-software changements in order to write a
very powerful new program for Notex, I plan to write and they promise to do
them in the future "ROM" versions.
   For example, I plan to use a braille keyboard as an alternative input device
for the PC, to "user-define" screen windows, markers, and so on.
   In my opinion, Notex is a very good device for the blind because you can
operate it stand-alone and in connection with computers, printers, modems, and
so on; but its features could be increased if the base-software of the machine
would be extended and improved properly.
   Let me know something more, about your activity and the product you sell, of
course, if not illegal in this echo.
   I'm working with my friends, to make a nice braille device for PC, "MB208",
22 piezo braille cells, 16 operation keys, a LCD for sighted and a pretty good
software that would help blind to operate friendly with computers...
   We have now 10 betatest machines and our institute, will produce the first
50 devices at the end of next month.
          Sincerely,
                              Mario Barbuto

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210!Mario.Barbuto
Internet: Mario.Barbuto@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Tommy Craig) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14683

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi John, thanks for the comments. I haven't heard anyone say bad things about
Notex yet. I am becoming more and more convinced that it would be a nice
device for some people. I sure do enjoy using braille instead of speech. I
still believe that the Braille 'N Speak is the most practical and useful
device on the market but I never have liked using speech. I know that speech
devices are cheaper and faster to use for some things but theres nothing quite
like having materails there in front of you to read. I have started
downloading lots of textfiles from the pc to the Notex to read them. I used to
do that with speech of course but I think my comprehension just about doubles
when I read thing in braille. What complaints if any did you have with the
Notex. I like hearing the good things but I'm sure there are things about it
you'd change if you had the chance. I'd really like to know about the
complaints also. I will be submitting a report of suggestions for future
upgrades so let me know what you'd like to see added.
Tommy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!60!Tommy.Craig
Internet: Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Darrell.Shandrow@p2.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Darrell Shandrow) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14695

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

If Blazie goes to 8 dot braille I sure hope they also continue a 6 dot version.
 I can't stand 8 dot braille data entry.  73

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.2!Darrell.Shandrow
Internet: Darrell.Shandrow@p2.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Tommy Craig) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14696

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Sure the Notex comes in 2 models. The Notex 24 and the Notex 40. The number
indicates the number of braille cells that the device has. It is a portable
braille notetaker. It has 224k of memory that can store data. Unfortunately
their is not a file management system in the unit. Memory is devided into 80
character lines and their are 2800 lines. The user can arrange chunks of
memory in blocks. For example you can have 40 blocks with 70 lines each or you
can have 70 blocks of 40 lines each. The combination are somewhat limited. I
believe that there are about a dozen different memory configurations. You do
have the ability to search for text within a block or the entire memory. This
allows you to give a block a tittle and find the data your looking for. It is
definately a workable system however, I would prefer a file system such as the
Braille 'N Speak's.
    The unit weighs 6 pounds and is qpproximately 2 inches high, 8 inches
front to back and 11 inches wide. It comes in a rather nice nylon carrying
case with shoulder strap. I do a large part of my travel walking and i have
carried the Notex for well over a mile and it was quite manageable. Anyone who
has carried around a versabraille would love the size and weight of the Notex.
I have found the braille display to be quiet good and reliable. I have had no
problems with it at all. The company claims that you can run the unit for up
to 16 hours on a 8 hour charge. I have not had this kind of luck. I think the
battery life is more like 6 to 8 hours with the braille display turned on.
There is a feature that allows you to turn off the display if you are only
taking notes and don't need the display. This obviously would increase battery
life considerably.
    Operation of the unit is quiet simple and installation of the pc-link
software that is included is very simple. Using this software allows you to
use th Notex as a screen reader and also lets you transfer files to and from
Notex. You can also use the Notex with a modem. The screen reading functions
are fairly good. It lacks some features of say the Navigator but then again
Its primarily function is as a notetaker and not a screen access device.
    Controls. The Notex has the braille display approximately 1 inch from the
front of the unit. Immediately behind the display the units height increases
about half an inch. Just behined this rise are the function keys. There are 9
of these. From left to right they are: Read back, insert character, insert
line, left space, shift key, right space, delete character, delete word and
read forward. I think most of the names are self explanitory. The read forward
and back keys move the display one display width either forward are back.
Behind thes keys are the braille keyboard keys. It is an eight dot braille
device and the dot 7 and 8 keys are offset slightly forward so as to be easily
useable but also kind of out of the way if you only wish to use 6 dot braille.
In the center of the braille keys are the four cursor keys. They are arranged
in a cross configuration. The on off switch is on the back panel right side.
Continueing across the back panel are the charger jack, 9 pin serial port and
a reset button. The reset button requires the use of a stylus are other
pointed to use.
    The Notex does not have a built in disk drive. I believe that the company
plans to support a small battery powered disk drive in the future. The Notex
also doesn't have a built in translator and I think it would benifit greatly
form one. Otherwise I think the Notex is a good unit. It seems more reliable
than the Versabraille and it is definately more portable. I of course think
all the refreshable braille devices are greatly over priced but the Notex at
$5800 for the 24 cell display and $7800 for the 40 cell display, is certainly
competitive. I hope this gives you enough and not to much information. I'll be
happy to answer any questions.
Tommy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!60!Tommy.Craig
Internet: Tommy.Craig@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Mario.Barbuto@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org (Mario Barbuto) (04/12/91)

Index Number: 14798

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

   Hi Tommy,
I apologise I interfere in your conversation, but let me clarify something
about Braillex IB80/40 PIEZO.

TC> The nice thing about the Braillex is that
TC>it plugs directly into a serial port and has no software to
TC>install. This allows you to read your ram test and all other boot
TC>info.

   No tommy, Braillex has its driver card you have to put inside any PC's slot,
so that it is completely indipendent form the software running.
   You can use Braillex under MS-DOS, UNIX, XENIX, 327x emulators and whatever
you want, with no changes and no compatibility problems.
   Braillex has an 80 or 40 braille cells window you can move across the
PC's screen, reading text and attributes.
   You can also follow hard and soft cursors simply setting them and monitor
user defined screen areas when they change their text or attributes.
   A "cursor rooting" function allow to place the PC's cursor at the
line,column you want, simply pusging a corresponding small key on the Braillex,
that seems a good feature working with Word processors, Databases and dos
utilities such as the Norton Commander.
   Finally, a 4 extra braille cells give information about the braille line
number, the cursor position, the cursor tracking on/off, etc...

      Sincerely
Mario

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!273!210!Mario.Barbuto
Internet: Mario.Barbuto@f210.n273.z1.fidonet.org

robertj@tekgen.bv.tek.com (Robert Jaquiss) (04/14/91)

Index Number: 14863

In article <18554@bunker.isc-br.com> Darrell.Shandrow@p2.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org
writes:
>Index Number: 14695
>
>If Blazie goes to 8 dot braille I sure hope they also continue a 6 dot version.
> I can't stand 8 dot braille data entry.  73

     I use an Alva from Humanware (800) 722-3393.  My unit is an 80 column
model which is great for the desk.  It does use eight dot braille but can be set
to only display in six dots.  If I read a grade two document I definitely set
it for six dot mode.

	Robert Jaquiss

Internet: robertj@tekgen.bv.tek.com

robertj@tekgen.bv.tek.com (Robert Jaquiss) (04/14/91)

Index Number: 14864

Blazie Enginering also sells the Braille N Touch (Hope I spelled that right.)
which uses a braille display instead of speech.