[misc.handicap] wheelchair survey....

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14005

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

     San Francisco State University
     1600 Holloway Avenue
     San Francisco, CA 94132

          Division of Engineering
          (415)338-1174

     EVER BEEN HURT WHILE USING YOUR WHEEELCHAIR?

     EVER HAD A PART BREAK?

     WANTED:

People  living  in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area to answer a
questionnaire  regarding their  wheelchair-related accidents, in-
juries and wheelchair parts failures.   Ralf  Hotchkiss  and  the
Wheeled  Mobility  Center  at  San Francisco State University are
currently working on a project funded by the Center  for  Disease
Control  to look at the incidence of wheelchair-related injuries.
Information from this survey will provide a  basis  for  work  to
improve wheelchair design.

     Please call   Nancy Rebholtz
                   Dept. of Engineering
        or         San Francisco State University
                   1600 Holloway Avenue
       write:      San Francisco, CA  94109

                   (415)338-6218

----
This message is copied from the National Wheelchair Athletic
Association's FAR WEST CHAPTER Newsletter.  Even if you don't live in
the Bay Area, perhaps you know someone who does.

          ---Sheila.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14020

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Quotes from the desk of Zack:

-> Why is the survey limited to the San Francisco area?

   The survey isnt -limited- to the San Francisco area....anyone is
welcome to participate in the survey.  The main reason they asked
specifically for Bay Area responses is so that they would have the chair
there for modification and be able to assist the respondee' with
information pertaining to his/her chair.

ZACK!....Long time....long time........

         How you are?

          ---Sheila.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14550

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

->> Why is the survey limited to the San Francisco area?

SF> The survey isnt -limited- to the San Francisco area....anyone is

        Well, in that cae.

        1.  AB was a para doing wheelies...he flipped and became
a quad....all because he no no wheelie bar.

        2.  AA was a quad who lost control on a regulation
ramp...coasted down and hit a car blocking the bottom...two
broken legs

        3.  JC [me]  was a quad who lost it on a ramp...hit the
safety lip on the side...sudden stop....became airborne...ouch

        4.  JB was a para...leaned forward to pick up paper on
the floor...joined the paper on the floor

        And they say NASCAR racing is dangerous........

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14553

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Quotes from the desk of Joe Chamberlain:

-> SF> The survey isnt -limited- to the San Francisco area....anyone is

JC -> Well, in that case: / SF-> and you proceeded to list parts
      failures.

      Since the survey is not limited to the San Francisco area, Joe,
why don't you gather complaints (of parts failure) from your area,
bundle them up and send them to the University?  There are complaints
that will be issued here (they could be hard-copied and sent also).  It
will take those complaints to ooch the researchers out of their
complacency.....and the manufacturers ooched into realizing that, unless
they make a safer chair, their sales will dwindle to zilch.

What say you?

-----What say the readers of this message?-----

          ---Sheila.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14557

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

  JC> Well, in that case: /

  SF-> and you proceeded to list parts failures.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        Those accidents I listed were not the result of parts
failure.  Rather, they resulted from operator error or the
related disability.

        For example, AB flipped his chair and became a quad
because was was doing wheelies.  We all know the risk involved
with this trick.

        I once saw a friend, a para, pop a whelie onto an
escalator and ride it to the to in that position.  He endangered
himself and the able bodied shoppers as well.

        I was drunk when I hit the edge of the ramp and landed in
the palm tree in the lobby.

        The parts that failed were located between the ears.
Just because we are paras and quads doesn't make us any smarter.
In fact, the risk taking aspects of our lives usually say
otherwise.

==========
"Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
'user-friendly'...  Their best approach, so far has been to take all
the old brochures, and stamp the words 'user-friendly' on the cover."
    BILL GATES

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Scott.Porter@f1000.n372.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Porter) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14558

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

My name is Scott Porter in CHAR.SC
My Biggest problem has been axel failure.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!372!1000!Scott.Porter
Internet: Scott.Porter@f1000.n372.z1.fidonet.org

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14563

GREETS! Scott........

       Axel failure:

            Answer that survey...tell them what happened.  If people are
too timid the axels will continue to be made out of sealing wax and PVC
Pipe.  Quite unnecessary....People get killed from axel failure.....

          ---Sheila.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Sheila.Fava
Internet: Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

wheels@sequent.uucp (Kathy Coston) (04/03/91)

Index Number: 14599

In article <18166@bunker.UUCP>, Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org
(Sheila Fava) writes:
> Index Number: 14005
>
>      EVER BEEN HURT WHILE USING YOUR WHEEELCHAIR?
>
>      EVER HAD A PART BREAK?
>
>      WANTED:
>
> People  living  in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area to answer a
> questionnaire  regarding their  wheelchair-related accidents, in-
> juries and wheelchair parts failures.   Ralf  Hotchkiss  and  the

I have been using a Quickie 2 for seven years. About a year ago,
the frame broke and the chair collapsed inward on me. Luckily, I
was not moving at the time, but I did substain a large bruise and
deep scratch on my back where the back support bars hit me. All in
all, not an experience I would like to relive!

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14887

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

->> Why is the survey limited to the San Francisco area?

SF> The survey isnt -limited- to the San Francisco area....anyone is

        Well, in that cae.

        1.  AB was a para doing wheelies...he flipped and became
a quad....all because he no no wheelie bar.

        2.  AA was a quad who lost control on a regulation
ramp...coasted down and hit a car blocking the bottom...two
broken legs

        3.  JC [me]  was a quad who lost it on a ramp...hit the
safety lip on the side...sudden stop....became airborne...ouch

        4.  JB was a para...leaned forward to pick up paper on
the floor...joined the paper on the floor

        And they say NASCAR racing is dangerous........

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14890

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

  JC> Well, in that case: /

  SF-> and you proceeded to list parts failures.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        Those accidents I listed were not the result of parts
failure.  Rather, they resulted from operator error or the
related disability.

        For example, AB flipped his chair and became a quad
because was was doing wheelies.  We all know the risk involved
with this trick.

        I once saw a friend, a para, pop a whelie onto an
escalator and ride it to the to in that position.  He endangered
himself and the able bodied shoppers as well.

        I was drunk when I hit the edge of the ramp and landed in
the palm tree in the lobby.

        The parts that failed were located between the ears.
Just because we are paras and quads doesn't make us any smarter.
In fact, the risk taking aspects of our lives usually say
otherwise.

"Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
'user-friendly'...  Their best approach, so far has been to take all
the old brochures, and stamp the words 'user-friendly' on the cover."
    BILL GATES

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Sheila.Fava@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Sheila Fava) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14892