[misc.handicap] Looking for medical research on spinal cord cysts

Kathy.Coston@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Kathy Coston) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14559

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

from: wheels@sequent.UUCP (Kathy Coston)
date: 15 Mar 91 22:13:40 GMT
organization: Sequent Computer Systems, Beaverton, OR
message-ID: <55432@sequent.UUCP>
newsgroups: sci.med

I have been a paraplegic for approximately eight years. I say, approximately,
because my paralysis was due to spinal cord cysts. They started developing
in 1982 and through a slow progression caused total paralyzation within two
years. I had two spinal surgeries to shunt two cysts, but they only caused
a temporary remission. They are at the T-9&10 level. I also have a cyst in
my neck which my doctors consider inoperable. So far it has had no effect
on me. I am curious to find out what medical research, if any, has been done
considering this, so I am told, rare condition. I have heard of laser surgery
being used to remove spinal cord cysts, but no one has been able to tell me
where this is being done or the success rate. Any information relating to
this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Kathy.Coston
Internet: Kathy.Coston@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Gordon.E..Banks@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Gordon E. Banks) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14906

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

from: geb@dsl.pitt.edu (Gordon E. Banks)
Date: 19 Mar 91 02:36:19 GMT
organization: Decision Systems Laboratory, Univ. of Pittsburgh, PA.
Newsgroups: sci.med

In article <55432@sequent.UUCP> wheels@sequent.UUCP (Kathy Coston) writes:
>I have been a paraplegic for approximately eight years. I say, approximately,
>because my paralysis was due to spinal cord cysts. They started developing
>in 1982 and through a slow progression caused total paralyzation within two
>years. I had two spinal surgeries to shunt two cysts, but they only caused
>a temporary remission. They are at the T-9&10 level. I also have a cyst in
>my neck which my doctors consider inoperable. So far it has had no effect
>on me. I am curious to find out what medical research, if any, has been done
>considering this, so I am told, rare condition. I have heard of laser surgery
>being used to remove spinal cord cysts, but no one has been able to tell me
>where this is being done or the success rate. Any information relating to
>this would be greatly appreciated.

In order to help you with your question, I would have to know
the exact medical diagnosis.  Cyst just refers to a fluid-filled
cavity.  Are we talking about syringomyelia, cystic astrocytoma,
or what?  Without knowing this, no one can tell you anything of value.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Gordon.E..Banks
Internet: Gordon.E..Banks@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14909

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

To: geb@dsl.pitt.edu

 GE> In order to help you with your question, I would have to know
 GE> the exact medical diagnosis.  Cyst just refers to a fluid-filled
 GE> cavity.  Are we talking about syringomyelia, cystic astrocytoma,
 GE> or what?  Without knowing this, no one can tell you anything of
 GE> value.
How does a doctor determine which type of spinal cord cyst is which?  I have a
hole in my cord at C-5, the level of my injury, which is suspected of being a
syrinx, but nobody knows for sure.  They also suspect it of being a, if not
the, cause of my severe post-SCI pain.  Is there any way to determine if
draining it will ease or eliminate the pain, before actually doing surgery?
*adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org