[misc.handicap] electric mobility

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (02/09/91)

Index Number: 13639

>Well, I had already received the cart when the post was received about the
>wheelchair. I can't, at this time, handle acceptance of a wheelchair
>tough enough with the cart.
That's what I thought you would say.  The emotional adjustment of
having to accept a means of moving about other then your legs is a
very trying situation.  I still believe that after you have been
using the cart for awhile that you will look at it as an
indispensable piece of your equipment.  I know that my wife went
through the same stages of denial when she first had to use a cart or
wheelchair.  After your able to zip through a shopping mall or along a
sidewalk I think that you'll change your attitude.  First you'll not
experience as much pain in getting around and second you'll be able to
maneuver about much faster then you were able to walk.  Just think
about if you would have had to walk the distance around the block and
how tired you would have been.  The way that I try to look at these
things is look at how much energy you saved by using your cart.  Think
of how you can use this extra energy to do things that you really want
to do but normally can't because your to tired.
>behind me and watch as I am trying to back up and they won't move until I
>VERBALLY
>ask them to (stupidity at the maximum).  I also had a hospital worker ask
You have to remember that you now have a great equalizer.  Remember a
cart doesn't get hurt when its run into the people. when they see that
you are coming at them will soon learn to move at a greater rate of
speed.  A few nicked legs, ankles etc will get them to give quite
quickly.  I hate to have to be in my manual wheelchair because it's
not as intimidating to the masses that get in the way plus most people
that help me don't want to ram into the crowd as I would do!
>me
>if I needed assistance in getting into the lab and would I ALLOW her to
>help with the door - that made me feel great and was such a mind blower.
Yes, sometimes someone can surprise you by being civil and courteous.
Unfortunately, that's not as often as it should be.

>A chair, right now, would be too much for me.  I need to hold onto the hope
>that this is just temporary and I will be back driving soon.  This may be
>unrealistic but I NEED it right now.

I can completely identify with what you are saying because of having
my wife go through the same thing.  Instead of it being the MS it's a
urinary infection or other such thing  that is making her fatigue
worse.  That's why I believe that you and she although able to get
about as such having to always adapt to your changing conditions is
much more difficult then me being relatively stable but in a
wheelchair and paralyzed from the shoulders down.  I'm keeping you in
my prayers and I hope that it is just a temporary problem but even if
its a temporary problem remember to use anything that will help you
get about.  Why struggle to walk a block or two when you can just hop
on your cart?  Remember spend your energy and time doing things that
you want to do rather then need to do.
Best wishes,
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (02/28/91)

Index Number: 13712

>I cancelled out the doc appointment day but kept the trip to the college.
>Turned out that I was too sick the doc day to do much of anything.
>The trip to the college was a real MESS - they picked me up late, got me to
>the campus a half hour late (I was supposed to get there at 11) and I was
>supposed
>to be picked up at noon.  I requested my return be changed to 12:30 and
>they
>said okay.  I didn't get picked up until sometime after ONE.  I did not get
>home till just after TWO.  I was out of the house waiting at 10 A.M. - that
>is FOUR hours for something that I could have done with my car in (MAX) 1
>1/2
>hours.
It sounds like the transportation system for the disabled is similar
throughout the whole United States.  My wife who has MS had to give up
driving and it's very frustrating for her to have to wait on someone
or a bus to pick her up.  Her biggest grievance is when she has a half
an hour appointment with the doctor and she has to wait for all of the
elderly to get their shopping done.  I went with her one time and they
really abused the system.  Example, the driver had waited a half an
hour when she finally went into the store to find the person.  The
driver said that this type of occurrence happened all of the time.
Many of the people that really abused the system didn't need a ride in
the first place.  Now the bus is used mostly for transporting senior
citizens to and from places they want to go.  This was not the
original intended use for this vehicle!
>Yes, the cart is helping me but I am having a difficult time accepting the
>lose
>of my independence - I have been terrified of losing my ability to drive
>and
>now I have.
>On top of everything else, when I went outside to wait for VanTran, there
>was
>a college truck (plumbing department) that was parked in the blue area
>(which
>is the handicapped area and ramp) and it was parked on top of the ramp -
>the
>ONLY ramp to get on the sidewalk to wait for VanTran.  I went back into the
>security office and lodged a complaint.  An officer came out and proceeded
>attempt to find the mental midget moron who was the driver of this campus
>vehicle
The driver of the vehicle should have been ticketed.  That's the way
it generally happens around here.  I couldn't believe when there was
an article in our local newspaper about a woman who wanted to have
her husband use her handicapped spot to free up a valuable non
handicapped spot for others to use.  I wrote a letter to the editor
explaining that I thought there should be pictures on the placards
that go into the window.  It was very difficult to write the letter
since I was so irritated.  I wanted to ask what her disability was
other then mental ability but I refrained since I wanted the letter to
be published.  You would be surprised at how many people supported my
point of view.
>call the campus and talk with someone else who can put some manners into
>this
>idiot or fire him.
Unfortunately, there are to many people who are just like the person
you described.  If I were physically able I would probably get a
valve stem remover and give him at least one flat tire.  I know that
it's against the law but it would be awfully tempting to do it.
>I did end the day a bit more pleasant - I got a haircut - found someone who
>was willing to come to the house and not too outrageous with price.
Yes, we have someone who comes to our house to cut our hair also.
She used to cut it at the mall but she said that if we ever needed her
to help she would be glad to help us out any way she could.  It sort
of restores your faith in human kindness.
>Yes, the cart helps me to get around outside the apartment - it is nice to
>not
>have to struggle so much and/or not be able to do things like get the mail.
>I have not attended classes since I had to drop out in fall of 1989. I am
>taking
>a lesser degree so voc rehab will say I am completing a part of my plan and
>not kick about paying for the cart.  I have no idea if I can attend classes
>come the fall - I am merely doing the footwork in case.
I'm not trying to push you where you don't want to go.  I'm just
trying to give you gentle encouragement.  If you can't attend classes
in the fall so be it.  The main thing is to be able to keep one step
ahead of the system.  So far it sounds like you've been able to do so
to a good extent.
Just last night Jeanne was laying in bed crying because she didn't
have her cart, she couldn't drive and she had to go to the doctors
today.  I feel for you and know pretty much what you are going
through.  I certainly wouldn't trade places that's for sure.  It
always seems like the progressive illnesses are always the hardest to
deal with because you are always in the midst of adjusting to new and
worse conditions.  You are in my prayers and I hope that you will have
an easier time of it.
Love and hugs to you.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.11

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14021

> Not that I'm a cynical old man but it seems like most things that we
> get these days aren't as good as their predecessor.  I bet that you
> caused quite a fuss when you ran into that government window. I

Well, they were more concerned with my welfare than the windowpane,
as a matter, all I was asked to was, to wait until the OPP could
come to take a report, that way they would have no problems to have
the Glasspane re-installed, I offered to pay for the thing, but
they wouldn't hear of it since the Scooter failed on me, it was an
honest to goodness accident and the door that I had to come through
(sort of doubledoor) you open one door and had a second door right
in front of you, the Scooter didn't even fit into the lobby between
the two doors, but it was nevertheless anaccident, like one I had a
week before here in my apartment, the damn machine was siting there
to go out, pointed at my apartment door, and all of a sudden I
heard a crash, I looked and here the damn thing went all by itself
and crashed into my door, a couple day's later,(while I was on the
machine) I pushed to go forward and instead it went backwards,
weird machine that is, so when I called them to come and repair
it... well, I needed a loaner, they told me I would have to wait a
few day's to get one, that is when I hit the Window in the Court
building... well, it is fixed now... I hope... I haven't had any
problem since...

> not be able to use your cart.   I also liked the variable speed >
control on the old Fortress 2000.

Well, that is no longer working since they FIXED? it, I only found
out the other day, since I usually go into everything full tilt, I
very seldom used the Speed control, but when I tried it a while
ago, you know to keep up with a person walking, it didn't work...
bloody ripoff that is.

>> know the Fortress has wide Tires compared to the other models on the
>>there are those that have such tiny wheels and the go click, click, click,
> We looked at an amigo that has wider tires than the older front wheel
> drive models.  In fact the tires are about the size of the Fortress
> 2000.  One of the other benefits of the amigo is that it is shorter
> then many of the other models and Jeanne can get right up to the

Och Mon, how would I do any shopping on a short thing, I need to
have them long and roomy, I was lucky, I found a perfectly good
manual Wheelchair in the Garbage pickup here, that thing is the
best for indoor use, I used to have an office type of swivelbase
chair for the Computer, yoi know the ones with casters on them?,
well, if you look into the papers, you should be able to get an
manual chair for about $100-150 used, look into the "Used Articles
for sale" column, I see many of those type of ADDS in there,
wouldn't she be better off using that inside the house?

>>Well, that is quite a hassle I must say, I thought it depended on your
>>needs rather what THEY think she should drive, when I went, the
>>Threapist asked me "what I would be doing with the machine in every day
>>life," I told her, so she recommended a heavy duty machine
>>had the insert installed on the floorboard of the machine,

> Well, it was more her doctor that wanted her to use a scooter rather
> then a wheelchair.  The other problem is the insurance company wants
> three different bids on the scooter of our choice.  I guess that is to
> show that we are getting the most for their money.  I wish that Jeanne
> could have used the insert on the floorboard but we would not have
> been able to get it into our van.  It was quite uncomfortable for her
> since she had to scrunch herself into a small area.  She will be using
> the chair both inside and out so it complicates the matter somewhat.

Hmmm... I only have a small Hatchback Car, but the machine comes
apart into 3 pieces and the two batteries and it fit's in nicely,
mind you, I still can stand on my two legs, walking is another
story, as long as I can hang onto something, I can stand, the only
problem that I have is the Motor section of the Cart, it's a heavy
thing, but I usually wrestle the obscenity into the trunk if no one
is about to give me a helping hand, when I reach the place where I
want to go, I very seldom have problems to find a sucker to heave
the Motor section out of the car, from there on, the rest is easy,
since most of it is all plastic, it's very light 'cepting the
batteries... oh yea, my rearsets fold forward, so it converts into
one flat trunk surface.

In any case, I would tell the Doctor a thing or two, if my Doctor
would have told me what type of machine to get I would have told
him to {deleted} himself, it's my life, my body, my pain, I do it
my way, mine just told me to get whatever I was most comfortably
with, and so I did... hell man, ther HAS got to be something that
you can do to make Jeanne can be more confortable on the bloody
thing, go and fight them man, don't be a softy, give them a run for
their money, hell, I would be there virtually pounding the Desks
and screaming on top of my voice "DISCRIMINATION!!!", I have done
so and will do so, I mean, what in hell do they know what my needs
are, only I can determine that, I'm the one that has to live with
my disability and I'm the one that has the pain, not them, what do
they know, tell them (Insurance) "You go and ride on a Scooter for
a week and see what you think is best for you," make sure that they
imitate the problems that your wife has during that time as well...
you see, they don't think about it, like most people, they simply
can't fantom what it is like to be disabled in any way, to use a
mode of transportation as we do, even I was not aware of the
problem that would pose itself until I got into this contraption,
but I'm not about to give up my determination, I go and pound
desk's, treaten them with my Cane too (sort of) they never know
what to make of me when I get mad and whem I'm determined to have
my way...

Anyway, enough of my gabbing...

you be good no and take care... say "HI" to Jeanne for me.

 Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14022

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Thanks for your information.  What is the name of your scooter.  My
wife is looking into getting the rear wheel driven amigo.  She
borrowed one over the weekend and it seemed to work out well for her
needs.  We hope that we can make up our minds within the next week or
so.  The dog was real upset when the cart was taken away today.  I
just wish that I had the money and could just go out and purchase one
of them today.  It's really hard on Jeanne and the rest of us since it
effects her mood.
>Sorry I can't report any changes on the physical front - I got into my
>crazies
>last night and tried to bargain my way out of pain - real crazy stuff.
I have seen you on some of the other conference and hope that you
didn't try anything foolish.  You're always in my thoughts and
prayers.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.12

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14025

In a message of <16 Feb 91 07:56:00>, Andy Anderson (1:138/120) writes:

 >I took care of my need by having my
 >car fitted with special hand controls,so that "I" no longer need worry
 >about bus's or paratransits(for now),but the time is fast approaching.

That's great that the hand controls work for you, but it is not
enough for other people.  I was at an auto show last year, and they
had a display of a van that had the hand control, the lift, etc.
It was designed by somebody whose daughter got in a car accident (I
think) and was disabled.  However those things are pretty
expensive, so unless you are really rich or have a good insurance
settlement you cannot afford it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14035

  Hi Bill, the Sierra is speed adjustable in two ways. You can turn a
little knob that goes from real slow to max, or just by hand pressure on
the drive grip. The fastest that it will travel is 6 miles per hour. Not
a speed demon but that's a good clip. I love being able to make others
keep up with me now. For years it was a real drag when I hobbled and had
to keep asking and reminding people to go slooow. Now they (Basically
Ray) gets to hustle to keep up with me. I figure it's great
cardiovascular exercise for him and I'm doing him a favor keeping him in
better shape/
                          Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14037

>>buy`s them from say,"Crappy Tires" make sure that they are the DEEP CYCLE
>>type BATTERIES, these are the ones that are used for snowmobiles and
>>marine applications, also, on ACID type of Batteries, make

> Thanks for the information, Bill.  OK, you said you bought
> the batteries from "Crappy Tires" <smile> do they fit on the
> Fortress scooter, or do you have to buy some type of
> adaptation?  Is there enough space on the scooter for these
> big batteries?

Well, there is enough room, you will have to get the bottom plates
that they use in Cars, otherwise the batteries will sit at an
slight tilt on the lip of the depression, the base plate fits just
right and the batteries sit at an even keel, yes, they do fit, big
as they are, at least I have no probs, they are the same size that
they use for WheelChairs...

I went and talked to a few peopleover the last few day's, re:
Scooters, I stopped other people that had different scooters, yea,
right on the street, 95% told me, they wished that they had an
Fortress 2000 or the 2000XL, I've seen some of the machines and the
shape that they were in, one poor lady virtually had to hold hers
together with String and Tape, one of those Harwood Machines that
were so heavyly advertised, seems those machines are the pits, then
I had one guy, he was riding some other thing that you see
advertised in TV Guide, he said "It's not a bad machine, but it's
too slow and hasn't got enough power, but aside from that, it works
nice, still he wished for a Fortress 2000 because they are
considered the Cadillac of the Scooters... so I've talked to others
as well, they all have some sort of problem, so I consider myself
lucky to have a Fortress now after all, seems no machine is totally
immune from defects, just like Cars, but the Harwood machines are
something else... they take the cake for breakdowns and don't hold
up at all, maybe nice for inside use, but certainly NOT for outside
use, so don't go by adertisements, go by what owners of machines
tell you after they had it for about 18 to 34 months, then you know
what will hold up.

Cheers...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14042

In a message of <Feb 17 19:54>, Frank Whitney (1:261/1000) writes:
 >Thanks for your information.  What is the name of your scooter.  My

It is called SHUTTLE and is made by Pride Healthcare, Inc.
Pittston, Pa.  they have an 800 number if you want to find out
about a dealer near you or possibly to buy direct.  I would
definately look at it before deciding on the amigo (sorry, I'm
being prejudiced).

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.1!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Sherwin) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14046

I don't think any belt driven chair like the Fortress 2000 can compare
to a power base type chair like my E&J Explorer.  I had a lot of
problems at first but with the new 'beefed-up' power moduels I'm
totally happy.  Take it from a 230 pound guy who's 'bunded out' four
electric chairs in 5 years.  Of course there is the moderately priced
$16,000 (stripped) version of the Permobile, right?
\/ Squire \/
/\  Jim   /\

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Jim.Sherwin
Internet: Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14047

In a message of <19 Feb 91 19:57:00>, Bill Freads (1:12/700) writes:

 >so I've talked to others as
 >well, they all have some sort of problem, so I consider myself lucky to
 >have a Fortress now after all, seems no machine is totally immune from
 >defects, just like Cars, but the Harwood machines are something else...

Most of the people I talked to like the Fortress the best too.  I
have one friend who uses the Mobie scooter.  She choose that
scooter, because she drives a car, and she can take the scooter
apart and is able to lift all the pieces.  However she has
difficulty using it on the grass and in the snow.  She finds it
great using it in the shopping centres.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (03/20/91)

Index Number: 14077

>>well, they all have some sort of problem, so I consider myself lucky to
>>have a Fortress now after all, seems no machine is totally immune from

> Most of the people I talked to like the Fortress the best
> too.  I have one friend who uses the Mobie scooter.  She
> choose that scooter, because she drives a car, and she can
> take the scooter apart and is able to lift all the pieces.

Well, the Eaton Centre isn't all that far for me to get to, on the
avarage, I do quite well with this thing of a Scooter, but I like
it so much because I can go just about anywhere with it, 'specially
last year, when we had the snowfall, I mamged to get through places
that others actually couldn't make it through, also the machine is
heavy enough to bulldoze through the piles of snow that build up on
the side of the road when there is heavy traffic, you know the way
there is alway's a pile of the stuff sitting where cars make turns
and such, for some reason it will build up, I have memorized the
ramps on the corners where I cross the street, so I can go full
speed and hit the pile of snow, the machine will come to almost a
stop, but it will go all the way through without actually stopping,
at times I had to back up a bit and have a second run at it, but I
never really got stuck.

 Cheers.

 Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Whitney) (03/20/91)

Index Number: 14079

>  Hi Frank, unless Jeanne is planning on only going to malls and in good
>weather I suggest you go with the rear wheel drive Sierra. I went and
>covered a promo mini Solidarity confrence last Sat. and they hospital that
>it was held at didn't clear their parking lot well. In fact we had 24 inches
>of snow the day before and that morning. I watched several of the people
>with MS killing themselves having to stand next to their Amigos and Larks
>pushing them through the snow because they couldn't ride them through the
>slush and snow as I wizzed by on my Sierra.
There is an amigo sport model that looks like it would be able to go
just about anywhere that the Sierra would be able to go.  She would
mainly be out only in good weather so that also is making us lean more
towards the amigo.  Thanks again for the information.  We are still
making up our minds as to the best model.
Frank.

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.12

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Frank.Whitney
Internet: Frank.Whitney@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14098

   Hi Jim, well depends on how stripped you want that Permole. You can
get one slightly unde,000 if drop some of the seating and support
options. We had to reconfigure and to have some parts specially built
for me. Her is a little break down of the cost on my Permoblile.
   Permobilsuper 90          10, 626.00
   12" flip up arms standard
   lights package standard
  Standing seat             494.00
 Power reine standard
   " back height                 350.
  Power recline  standard
  powereat elevator standard
  power leg elevation standard
head rest                    207
lumbar support                     136.00
seat modifation                  439.00
 seat belt                    35.00
 basic leverman driving system   415.00
soft driving                        75
batteries 2                        320
luggage carrier                    144
swingaway table              613
  total   19, 854
 The way they price permobiles is as to how you configure the system.
Also there is a difference between the standard Permobile and the Super
90. The standard Permobile is rated for indoor and some outdoor use. The
theSuper 90 is rated for general outdoor and indoor use. Basically the
difference is that the super will take a 25 percent grade anwill hop a
4inch curb or other obstacle. Which is more than the standard will do.
They also make a series of other power chairs called the IOR series and
th some other nifty things. ou short of have to find out what you
need and then you can find the price of the chair for you under their
system.
                                 Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (03/21/91)

Index Number: 14099

  Hi Bill, yeah 6mph is a drag, I would prefer something that would go
up to 35mph. I keep after Ray and one of these years he may get around
to building me a gasoline powered base for my chair. When I was in
school we had a guy whose dad rigged him a chair that had a gasoline
motor and was encased inboiler plate. It was called the green monster
and that thing would wizz out at 35mph.
   I like the lights on your machine. Right now if I go putting around
at night I use a dive light that Ray built for me out of some 6" pvc
pipe. It really casts a good beam also but not like yours. Mine isn't
attached to my scooter, I just set it up in by my basket. What I really
wish that you could get for wheelchairs is a 4 speaker surround sound
Am/Fm radio, tape and CD deck.
                               Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Bill Freads) (03/22/91)

Index Number: 14112

In a message to Bill Freads, dated, <02-23-91 21:05> Pandora Nigh wrote:

PN>   Hi Bill, yeah 6mph is a drag, I would prefer something that would go up
PN> to 35mph. I keep after Ray and one of these years he may get around to
PN> building me a gasoline powered base for my chair. When I was in school we
PN> had a guy whose dad rigged him a chair that had a gasoline motor and was
PN> encased inboiler plate. It was called the green monster and that thing

PN>    I like the lights on your machine. Right now if I go putting around at
PN> night I use a dive light that Ray built for me out of some 6" pvc pipe. It
PN> really casts a good beam also but not like yours. Mine isn't attached to
PN> my scooter, I just set it up in by my basket. What I really wish that you
PN> could get for wheelchairs is a 4 speaker surround sound Am/Fm radio, tape

You know, I did see some sort of movie with some sort of gasoline powered
motor WheelChair, only one thing would come to mind, if it is Gas powered,
you would require a License/plate for the blessed thing... so that would
never do, aside from the fact, the Metro Housing Authority would not let me
into the building with such an contraption, but I wouldn't mind getting a
more powerfull motor in those machines and a little more speed, if I could
make 10MPH per hour I would be very happy...

As for the light, well, you can buy them 200/300/500,000 candle power, they
are basic Car Spotlights (Handheld) and are from 4 to 10 times brighter than
a Car headlight, the one that I bought cost 29.95, the 500,000 one would
have cost me 59.95, then it is up to you to fit the thing onto your scooter
and AIM it properly so that you don't blind everyone coming toward you, I
used a Bike type of clamp, the ones they use on Race bikes for bottles and
sort of fit it on the machine, I ran the wire along the same path as the
power cable from the control box to the batteries, I use one battery for the
headlight and the other one for my tailights, those I installes as well on
my own, but I tell you, when I go into the parks in the summertime at night,
you want to see how some bushes come alive when I come rolling along with
that bright light shining on those bushes... <hehehehe>, some people run
pulling their pants up, others actually still have a bare bum with pants in
hand and run like the wind and their what'chamacallit bopping up and down..
<HAHAHAHAHA>, I tell you, I'm having so much fun when I interupt these
people... you know I'm doing it on purpose now since I came across something
like that accidentally..

Take care..

 Bill

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Bill.Freads
Internet: Bill.Freads@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (03/22/91)

Index Number: 14115

   Hi Frank, yes it is a real open market right now. One of the things
you really have to do is make a list of where she wants to go, needs to
get to, type of terrain she will have to negotiate, and your area
weather patterns for both now and a few years to come. The hard part is
really on projecting how much more active and adventurous you will be in
the future. If you enjoy traveling then you want to make sure if you
plan a vacation to a beach or a woodland setting that her cart can make
it. Mostly I think that a rear wheel drive is the best way to go. This
really cuts down on the number of places that you can't get to as well
as getting stuck or needing someone to give you an extra boost by
pushing you on your tricart. (not a fun thing for the pusher).
                                 Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Sherwin) (03/22/91)

Index Number: 14118

Thanks for the Info Pandora,
  Alas, I am burdened by the stipulation that (all powerchair are frre
as far as I'm concerned financially) I have to aquire only the chair's
that have the Veterans Administration's seal of approval.  Regretfully
the Permobile isn't one of them.  I had a real nice super 90 picked out
with pictures, video and the works.  My prosetics chief said get a new
chair but only from E&J or Invacare.  I wish they were more liberal but
that's life!
\/ Squire \/
/\  Jim   /\

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Jim.Sherwin
Internet: Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

spgreg@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) (03/28/91)

Index Number: 14501

> What I really
>wish that you could get for wheelchairs is a 4 speaker surround sound
>Am/Fm radio, tape and CD deck.
>                               Pandora

Aaah, I see someone shares my priorities....
     MacRae                  |      Bright red pepper pod...
   spgreg@csd.lerc.nasa.gov  |        Darting dragonfly!
                             |                      -Basho

Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Sherwin) (04/04/91)

Index Number: 14615

I don't think any belt driven chair like the Fortress 2000 can compare
to a power base type chair like my E&J Explorer.  I had a lot of
problems at first but with the new 'beefed-up' power moduels I'm
totally happy.  Take it from a 230 pound guy who's 'bunded out' four
electric chairs in 5 years.  Of course there is the moderately priced
$16,000 (stripped) version of the Permobile, right?
\/ Squire \/
/\  Jim   /\

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Jim.Sherwin
Internet: Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (04/16/91)

Index Number: 14948

   Hi Warren, you have posed a very good point. I'm waiting to get the
new breakdown now form the Archtectial and Transportation Barriers dept
on ADA. But I think that it would apply to places that rent bicycles.
You may unfortunately have to take it to court down there to get it
initially set as a precedent and into effect. The only other way that I
can suggest that you have a chance for trying one of the adult hand
bikes is at an Abilities Expo or one simular that they have all kinds of
vendors set up. I saw adult models at the St. Louis and they did let
people try them out. They have a couple different versions and one had a
back support on the seat. I think that you could probably use one since
you have good arm and shoulder muscles. They can even strap hands to the
hand cranks if you can't grip, but you must be able to move your arms in
a circular up and down motion.
                               Pandora