[misc.handicap] Handicap child requires programs

lyne@ersys.uucp (Lyne Eaker) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13839

Has anyone found software for an Apple ][e (a Commodore C64 and
IBM PC also are available, but not at the school) that could be
used by a child with multiple handicaps, including visual impair-
ment?  The software must be usable with a joy stick, as the child
has poor hand control.  It must use interesting and variable
sounds as the response to the manipulation of the joy stick.  Any
programs we've seen are only visually stimulating.

Please email your responses, as I do not check this forum very
often.  If there is sufficient response, I will post the replies.

Thanks,
...Lyne

wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13840

lyne@ersys.uucp (Lyne Eaker) writes:
> Has anyone found software for an Apple ][e (a Commodore C64 and
> IBM PC also are available, but not at the school) that could be
> used by a child with multiple handicaps, including visual impair-
> ment?  The software must be usable with a joy stick, as the child
> has poor hand control.  It must use interesting and variable
> sounds as the response to the manipulation of the joy stick.  Any
> programs we've seen are only visually stimulating.

Try contacting the Disability Solutions group at Apple computer at:

    Apple Computer Inc
    Disability Solutions
    20525 Mariani Avenue
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    (408) 974-7910

There is also the Alliance for Technology Access which is sponsored by
Apple.  There are none (that I know of) in Canada but you can contact
the national office at 1307 Solano Avenue, Albany, CA 94706.  Phone
is 415-528-0747, Fax is 415-528-0746.

You might also pick up a copy of the Exceptional Parent magazine
(found occasionally on magazine stands or they can be reached at
P.O. Box 657, Kenmore Station, Boston, MA 02215.  Phone is 617-536-8961.)
There are several ads in each issue as to software suppliers.

Sorry I cannot give you specific suggestions but hope that these
sources will be able to.

Ann.Parsons/information.Chain@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons/information Chain) (04/16/91)

Index Number: 14953

 LE> From: lyne@ersys.uucp (Lyne Eaker)

Hi Lyne,

I do not have any info right now, but will check it out and e-mail you as soon
as I get anything congrete.

 LE> Index Number: 13839
 LE> Has anyone found software for an Apple ][e (a Commodore C64 and
 LE> IBM PC also are available, but not at the school) that could be
 LE> used by a child with multiple handicaps, including visual
 LE> impair- ment?  The software must be usable with a joy stick, as
 LE> the child has poor hand control.  It must use interesting and
 LE> variable sounds as the response to the manipulation of the joy
 LE> stick.  Any programs we've seen are only visually stimulating.

I am the co-founder of an organization called Adaptive Equipment Information
Chain. We are a group of consumers who have computers and are also
handicapped. We started this forum because we felt that it was important for
people seeking info on adaptive equipment to be able to talk to people who
were actually using it.

I will go through our limited (as of yet), sources and try to dig up what I
can. I hope you get this. I have saved the message to disk so have your
address. Will try the Gateway when and if I come up with anything.

Bye for now, see you on-line.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons/information.Chain
Internet: Ann.Parsons/information.Chain@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org