[misc.handicap] SIGN AS ART

David.Labell@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (David Labell) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14757

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

I just discovered this echo, and I may have missed any discussion
of this topic, but my wife and I have what we think is a unique attitude
toward sign language -- we love it but we don't speak it.

We love to attend interpreted concerts and shows. We sit near the
interpreter. Because ASL obviously arises out of body English, we
can follow the signs even though we couldn't understand them without
the "interpretation" of the lyrics or dialogue issuing from the stage.

In a funny way, we're like the people who prefer opera in Italian
-- with subtitles!

We have our own favorite performer, a guy named Barry Nickelsberg,
who interprets the Washington Folk Festival and interpreted "Alice's
Restaurant" for Arlo Guthrie at Wolf Trap Farm Park. When Arlo got
to the "27 8X10 color glossy pictures" section, Barry became frantic
trying to keep up. Arlo glanced across, grinned, and said, "That's
WORK!" There was a laugh from the crowd, and, when Barry translated
it, a second roar from the deaf contingent.

We don't speak or study sign. We just like to see it and to enjoy
it the same way we like being around people speaking a foreign language.

Comments?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!David.Labell
Internet: David.Labell@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14759

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Yup, David, it's art.  You need to schedule a visit to a church when
Robert Hahn is interpreting.  He can do "O come, all ye faithful" like
no one else--even if it's sung in Latin!

And you oughta visit a class of five year old deaf kids and see them
wiggle their itty-bitty fingers!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (04/11/91)

Index Number: 14767

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi David,

 DL> I just discovered this echo, and I may have missed any
 DL> discussion of this topic, but my wife and I have what we think
 DL> is a unique attitude toward sign language -- we love it but we
 DL> don't speak it.
 DL> We love to attend interpreted concerts and shows. We sit near

No, your attitude isn't unique. I read a science fiction story one about some
people who were trying to communicate with aliens. They tried all the speech
cues they could, but it wasn't until an actress recited a poem accompanying it
with motions akin to sign that  the aliens realized that humans were worth
keeping around instead of destroying.

It is a shame that signing has been separated from us for so long. I think
that your attitude is neat and that you are fortunate to be able to experience
total communication. I am blind so hence haven't your ability. But if I
weren't, I think that I would choose to sit near an interpreter too.

One of the things I wish I could see is the signing of The Lord's Prayer. It
must be truly beautiful.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org

DDZ@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Carolyn Dudas) (04/12/91)

Index Number: 14775

David, I'm glad that you brought the topic up.  I've always thought
that sign was music to the eyes (so to speak).  I also had the
pleasure of knowing someone who signed to songs of all kinds --- it
was just so beautiful, graceful, and moving.  In fact, whenever we
all got together for our informal, impromptu parties, we always dug
out our records and asked if she would sign to a song or two of her
choosing.  What a treat that was!  (P.S.  I would love to go to a
concert where John Denver or Roger Whittaker was singing and have
someone sign the songs!)

Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Croft) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14869

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

You could put your hands on the hands of a signer, and follow the
motions as he or she goes through the Lord's Prayer.

For deaf-blind persons, "tactile communication" is used.  It's more
successful with a deaf person who becomes blind, rather than with a
blind person who becomes deaf.  A number of deaf-blind students graduate
from Gallaudet University, using a tactile interpreter in class, plus
Braille if needed, or a Visualtek machine.  It usually takes the
deaf-blind student a longer time to complete college.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!147.0!Jay.Croft
Internet: Jay.Croft@p0.f147.n109.z1.fidonet.org

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Rudy Vener) (04/16/91)

Index Number: 14972

In article <18626@bunker.isc-br.com> Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org
writes:
>One of the things I wish I could see is the signing of The Lord's Prayer. It
>must be truly beautiful.

Ann,

If you really want to experience this, ask an interpreter to let you use
touch-cover sign.  This is what deaf/blind folks use to receive sign. If
you are hearing, well, that makes it all the easier to learn.

Rudy Vener  AT&T BTL uucp: att!mtqua!rudy

Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen) (04/17/91)

Index Number: 15015

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi Jack,

You may already know this, in fact, maybe everyone here knows it,
but those of us who are sight and hearing impaired not only use
in-hand fingerspelling as tactile communication, some of us also
use what is called "hands on signing."

In hands on sign, the deaf/blind person lightly places his or her
hands over the hands of the other speaker while that person uses
regular sign.

In my case, I use a combination of all of the above. I have some
very close useable vision and some short distance, but clouded or
blurred vision, so that I can see a sign that is made very close to
me and down slowly without the need for contact.

I cannot read fingerspelling without contact unless it is done very
slowly and right in my face and I will sometimes ask for contact
when I am not picking up a sign due to bad light conditions. (Too
much or too little.)

So, I did just want to mention "hands on" signing just in case
anyone thought that in-hand fingerspelling was the only technique
for communicating with deaf/ blind persons.

Keepin' the faith!

.                         Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen
Internet: Vixen@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org