[misc.handicap] Re-Training after injury

Leora.Ruggieri@f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Leora Ruggieri) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14922

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Hi everyone.  I'm fairly new to this BBS, and haven't written under
this subject before, but would like some input.

About nine months ago my brother suffered an on-the-job back
injury. As a result of an incompentant Worker's Comp. doctor, he
was sent back to work with a "small but unconsequential" lump on
his spine. Turned out that lump was a herniated disk that ruptured
a week later. He has had surgery and had two disks removed.

He remains in pain most of the time, and is considered 100%
disabled from his previous job.  He drove a truck for PepsiCo and
delivered frozen food to the Taco Bell chains.  The job required a
great deal of lifting.  It wasn't unusual for the truck to contain
23,000 pounds of frozen food.

Anyway, my brother is a great guy, hard worker, loyal employee,
etc., etc. but not very bright.  That's why he was doing that job.
It payed about $40,000 a year.  Now he can't sit or stand for long
periods of time, nor can he lift anything over 35 pounds.  We
realize he's very lucky to still be walking and all, but can anyone
suggest a job he might be good for?  We've all racked our brains,
but can't come up with anything that isn't manual labor, that would
pay decently, that doesn't require beyond a high school diploma.

Sorry this is so long winded, and thanks for your attention and
response.

Leora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!14!Leora.Ruggieri
Internet: Leora.Ruggieri@f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org

Christopher.Baker@f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Christopher Baker) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14923

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

> anything over 35 pounds.  We realize he's very lucky to
> still be walking and all, but can anyone suggest a job he
> might be good for?  We've all racked our brains, but can't

as one in the same leaky boat, i suggest that he file immediately
for Social Security Disability [because it takes forever] and be
prepared to have to engage an attorney who specializes in such
cases when the claim is denied and an appeal becomes necessary. my
first appeal hearing is in two days. it has been two years since
the original accident and one year since the original filing.

as for a job, i am of the opinion that the only option after
regular employment is no longer possible is to become self-employed
or live on disability. no employer wants someone who cannot stand,
walk or lift on a regular [8 hrs a day] basis but if YOU are the
employer, your hours are flexible. [grin]

TTFN.  Chris

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!14!Christopher.Baker
Internet: Christopher.Baker@f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org

Leora.Ruggieri@p0.f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Leora Ruggieri) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14927

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 > as one in the same leaky boat, i suggest that he file immediately
 > for Social Security Disability [because it takes forever] and be
 > prepared to have to engage an attorney who specializes in such cases
 > when the claim is denied and an appeal becomes necessary. my first

Yes, well I'm not sure if he did that, but I do know that
several attorneys have declined to represent him because they
feel his case is not "winnable."  But that's the malpractice
part of it.  I'll have to talk to him about the Social Security.
 Thanks for that advice.
Anyway, thanks for the self-employment suggestion, and good luck
on your appeal.                    LRu

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!14.0!Leora.Ruggieri
Internet: Leora.Ruggieri@p0.f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org

Leora.Ruggieri@p0.f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Leora Ruggieri) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14929

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 > Forgive me for asking...

That's o.k., I started it <grin>.

 > Have you found out as to if your brother is due any more $$$$
 > from his Workman's Compensation?  Texas no longer has a Workman's
 > Comp law (in which one can sue for $$$ to help with future expenses,
 > etc.) yet, maybe your state does.

I do know that he received some kind of settlement, I think from
his company's insurance.  He'll get about $35,000 over several
years ($500.00 a month).  And he'll be covered on insurance for
the rest of his life for his back.  Other than that, I'm not too
clear on the details.  He doesn't understand much of it, so I
don't get too much detail about what's going on.

 > (Has an attorney helped you yet?) I had a friend of mine hurt
 > himself on the job, and he had to sue to get more $$$, because his
 > workman' comp wasn't sufficient to cover his expenses...

Unfortunately, my brother lives in Southern California, which is
an extremely litigious area.  Because of that he can't find a
lawyer to take his case, since no doctors will testify against
each other for malpractice in So. Cal.  Even though the second
doctor who treated him said that he NEVER should have gone back
to work.  He said any doctor looking at the X-rays should have
been able to see that.  But now he won't say it in court.  So
no, he won't be getting any legal help.
The last time I talked to him, he said he was just going to drop
it, because he was just ready to get on with his life and put
this behind him.  And without another doctor's testamony, he
couldn't get an attorney to represent him anyway.

 > How old is your brother?

He'll be 35 in October.
Thanks for your interest and your advice.
Leora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!14.0!Leora.Ruggieri
Internet: Leora.Ruggieri@p0.f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14933

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 LR> lucky to still be walking and all, but can anyone suggest a job he
might
 LR> be good for? We've all racked our brains, but can't come up with
 LR> anything that isn't manual labor, that would pay decently, that
doesn't
 LR> require beyond a high school diploma.

                                 BE YOUR OWN BOSS!
          100 BUSINESS THAT CAN BE STARTED AT HOME
What kind of businesses can you start in your home?
Almost any business you have the skills and interest to

If you're trying to decide what kind of business to run at
home, perhaps one or more of the business possibilites that
follow will appeal to you.  The  list includes some business
ideas that will provide only a small extra income, and others
that can can yield big bucks if managed and marketed
properly. For each of the business ideas listed, some or all of
the work can be performed in a home office.

Products
Products can be made from scratch,assembled at home from
purchased parts, manufactured to your specifications by
an outside supplier, or bought wholesale and resold.
These are just a few of the products that are sold by
people whose "main Office" is a spare bedroom -- or the
dining room table.

   antiques
   books (often sold by mail)
   candy (buy in quantity and resell to small shops)
   computer supplies (ribbons, paper, diskettes, etc.
    cosmetics
   filled,decorative gift baskets
    greeeting cards, note paper, etc.
     handcrafts  to local boutiques and/or at crafts shows
                  Specific craft items that seem to sell well include:
                  Bathroom accessories
                  Children's room accessories
                  Decorative wooden mirrors
                   Design and sell original craft patterns by mail or
                     to magazines
                  Dried flower arrangements
                  Hand-painted wooden home accessories
                  Jewelry
                  Leather goods
                  Pottery
                  Small framed paintings
                  Stuffed animals/hand made dolls/bean bags
     homemade jams, jellies, pies, sauces, etc. (be sure to check
          license and health regulations)
    household cleansers and related products
    kitchen gadgets and fancy labels for containers
   new computers hardware and software
   office supplies in quantity and resell them
    plastic storage containers
    Publish your own newsletter
    Publish a quarterly special interest tabloid
    Publish special interest directory (ie., directory of women
       business owners, directory of artisans, etc)
    Publish how-to books about your hobby
    Publish abstracts for professionals in your industry
    Publish a local area guide book   used computers and
          equipment
    wedding and other special occasion invitations
    wood cabinets and furniture

SERVICES

advertising agency
aerobic classes for adults
appliance repair service
art lessons for children and adults
asphalt repair

bicycle repair
bookkeeping service
bread and breakfast inn

carpet cleaning
catering
child care (check licensing requirements)
child care
chimney sweep
cleaning services (for homes or offices)
consultant (computer, editorial, public relations, woman's
makeup, etc.

dance

editorial services for businesses
electrician
executive gift/shopping service

graphics design

hair dresser --open a beauty shop in your basement if local
regulations allow, or cut and style hair in your
customer's homes.
home handi-man service
house cleaning service
house painting service

image consulting
information broker/researcher
interior design

landscaping
lawn care
lecturer
letter-writing service
limousine service

mailing  and mailing list services for business
medical transcription service
mobile car repair service
mobile car repair service
mobile pet grooming service
music lessons

photography
plant nursery (raise seedlings to sel in the spring, and/or
houseplants to sell all year.)
plumbing service
print shop
private telephone installations
programming
public relations agent

reupholstering rug cleaning service

show promoter (computer show, art show, crafts show, etc)
small motor (lawn mowers, motorcycle, etc) repairs

telemarketing service
telephone answering service
temporary help service
tour guide
tree care
tutoring/teaching
typesetting
wall paper hanging service
window washing service

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Rudy Vener) (04/19/91)

Index Number: 15023

In article <18768@bunker.isc-br.com> Leora.Ruggieri@f14.n374.z1.fidonet.org
writes:
>Index Number: 14922
>
>suggest a job he might be good for?  We've all racked our brains,
>but can't come up with anything that isn't manual labor, that would
>pay decently, that doesn't require beyond a high school diploma.
>

>Leora

Hi Leora,

Here are some suggestions:

cook   (lots of standing in this job though)
leather craftsman
jeweler
potter

None of the above require any sort of scholastic degree.  He would
have to become an apprentice to the tradesman in question and learn
the skills.  That is all.  (Well...that's enough!).

Rudy  Vener  AT&T BTL  uucp: att!mtqua!rudy