[misc.handicap] CERVICAL DISCOGENIC DISEASE

Liz.Petry@f8.n3801.z1.fidonet.org (Liz Petry) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14568

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

My name is Elizabeth (Liz) Petry and I haven't logged onto his echo in
several months.  I have been involved in 3 major auto accidents within
the last 2 years. My last one occured here in Tyler, TX, when my car
slid off the road during an ice storm in December.  I am currently in
physical therapy, which my neurologist has prescribed 3X/week. I am up
to 27 p.s.i. and it isn't fun at all.  I lost most of the control in my
left arm, hand, shoulder (I also write with my left).  And, after going
to the doctor in January, he ordered an MRI of the cervical spine.

After having this done on February 7, it is determined that I have a
PHASE I-II HERNATION OF THE CERVICAL DISK AT C 5-6.  Going through that
MRI was the hardest thing I had ever done...I could handle the closed
in space, but lying on that hard plastic holder (the one with my head
cradled in it during the scan) was as close to living h--- as I could
get...I got up after the scan..and walked down to Cat Scan where my
neurologist was...and I lost all function in my left arm.  He said I
was "guarding it" and to work it out.  I went home sick.

I am practically living off of SOMA..But, this ia what I want to
know...I am actually glad that the MRI found something...because, at
least I know I wasn't making it up.  Dr. Collins believes that the
whiplash I suffered (I hit the driver's side window with my head, and
then my right ear hit my shoulder..) did most of the damage.  There is
a possibility that my other 2 accidents may have started it...and the
ice storm finished it.  Do I have the right to feel as though I didn't
make it all up?  Dr. C says that I will probably always be in pain for
the rest of my life, and he/I are talking about MORPHENE BLOCKS, and
surgery will be the ultimate last resort.

Jean...Joe...and anyone else here...I have missed you guys a lot...but
now, I am more scared than ever.  I can actually relate to what you all
have been taling about...I had a nerve test recently...and it is
confirmed that the disc is pushing on my spinal cord, and that is why I
feel like my arm/shoulder is the equivalent of paralyzed...

I apologize wholeheartedly for not keeping in touch....all I feel I
have now is my faith.  (And, a very strong will.)

If anyone here has an opinion...please tell me.  I am open to anything.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Petry
Tyler, TX

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3801!8!Liz.Petry
Internet: Liz.Petry@f8.n3801.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14574

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

My advice is to stay away from the morophine blocks find the best
possible ortho & neuro surgeons and get it taken care of if surgery can
help. Take all your fear and funnel it into resolve. You can be strong
even with a disability but you don't always HAVE to be. And for your
sake quit wrecking that poor car. :)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14577

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

        Welcome back.  Haven't seen your name since you left
COLLEGE months ago.  Good to hear from you, and we're just glad
to help.

 LP> After having this done on February 7, it is determined that
 LP> I have a PHASE I-II HERNATION OF THE CERVICAL DISK AT C 5-6.

        Now you know the problem.

 LP> the rest of my life, and he/I are talking about MORPHENE
 LP> BLOCKS, and surgery will be the ultimate last resort.

        Get a second opinion on BOTH of these.  However, my
opinion is I would go for the surgery with a good man and avoid
the drugs.  But, that is a decision you must make for yourself
after a more professional opinion than some joker from east of
the Missippi.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Liz.Petry@f8.n3801.z1.fidonet.org (Liz Petry) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14579

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Joe,

   Are you right on that one!!!  I mentioned to Dr. Collins about
Morphene Blocks, and before he could say another word...there is a Dr.
here in Tyler who does them (I won't mention names..)....and I sopke to
a few people who told me that this physician gave them STERIODS instead
of morphene blocks...(which is what was originally prescribed) and
these people gained MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF WEIGHT!!  I was prescribed
METHYLPREDNISLONE for 6 days...and I gained about 15 pounds...I lost it
by watching what I ate!  I felt sooo raunchy after those steriods.

   Nonetheless, I will go to Dallas before this Dr. here in Tyler
touches me!

   Well, I am not sure what to think....What are your views?

   Write soon!!  I look forward to hearing from you!!

   Elizabeth

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3801!8!Liz.Petry
Internet: Liz.Petry@f8.n3801.z1.fidonet.org

Liz.Petry@f8.n3801.z1.fidonet.org (Liz Petry) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14896

[...]

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14902

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

My advice is to stay away from the morophine blocks find the best
possible ortho & neuro surgeons and get it taken care of if surgery can
help. Take all your fear and funnel it into resolve. You can be strong
even with a disability but you don't always HAVE to be. And for your
sake quit wrecking that poor car. :)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Keith Jones) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14908

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

  From: Keith Jones
     Liz I have had a morphine block. Unfortunately it did not work

for me. I had some concerns about the morphine affecting me mentally
and becoming addicted. It does not work that way. When injected in
a muscle it has the narcotic effects associated with a painkiller.
However injected intrathecally (the fluid surrounding the spinal cord)
it has no narcotic properties but can and does relieve pain in many
people. I would give it a try. It is relatively safe .

do not get surgery.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Keith.Jones
Internet: Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14910

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 LP>  Well, I am not sure what to think....What are your views?

        I think Jean gave you some really good advice about
relaxing.  Pain is much more intense when your upset.

        I don't like any mood modifiers because they cause me to
be sluggish.  There are times when my pain because so intense
that it blurrs my vision, but I will put off taking anything.  I
have two pain pills always on my keyboard, but those that are
there now have been there for almost three days.

        I figure my body is so screwed up I can't afford to allow
my mind to be messed up too.  I enjoy life and living in a fog
doesn't appeal to me.

        This belief is founded in the fact the last time I really
was using pain killers they almost killed me because I abused
them accidentally and intentionally.

        I would look for a good neurosurgeon.  At the same time
don't be discouraged by the doctors who don't recognize your
pain.  In a recent study it was found women are prescribe less
pain medication after surgery than men because doctors believe
that women are reacting more from emotion than actual pain.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org (Douglas Zachary) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14911

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

LP>   Oh, I have basically a general good attitude about it all, but
LP> I could be talking to my doctor about surgery, also.  I guess
LP> maybe I am lucky.  Yet, according to him, this will be permanent...

   What is it that your Doc said will be permanent? The pain? If this
is from last December it doesn't sound like a very responsible thing
for him to say.

LP>  I did hear recently that people who have had surgery (back) have
LP> also ended up in a wheelchair....Is this true?  I hope that others
LP> aren't trying to scare me to death...(no pun intended).

   Sure it has happened and Doctors now give you worst case scenarios.
People are just relaying their own fear.  This new drug that they give
SCI victims to reduce their chances of permanent paralisis works in
surgery as well. In cases where the spine is not severed it is
generally swelling that puts pressure on the spinal cord that causes
the problem.

LP> Why are Morphene Blocks so risky?  Is there some infromation I can
LP> get concerning this topic?  Have you had experience with them?  I
LP> know you suggested for me to not consider them...I just want to
LP> know why.

   I didn't say that they were risky but the dosage always has to be
increased to make up for your tolorance that builds to the drug and
even tho you get no high from it you still become addicted. My thought
is, why live with multiple problems if you can have one fixed? I called
NARIC to get info on the morophine block after I read your reply and I
will forward that info when it gets here. They said that you could get
better info on this if you know someone that has access to Med Line.

LP>  I guess I am tired of being in pain constantly.  My "normal"
LP> household chores bother me sometimes...but I somehow have to
LP> push myself to get things done.  I have heard that having morphene
LP> blocks almost make one feel "pain free".

   I am lucky in that I adjust well to pain over time it goes to the
back of my mind and only resurfaces when a new pain comes up.  With
the morophine symptoms will be masked and you may not know that you
need to get something else checked. The key word above is sometimes
you are in too much pain, check into pain management also.

LP>  I sincerely appreciate you writing to me...I have thought about
LP> you often...Let's not be strangers!  (smile!)

   You are most welcome... What ever would make you think of me often?

                                  Zack

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!137!10.0!Douglas.Zachary
Internet: Douglas.Zachary@p0.f10.n137.z1.fidonet.org

Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Keith Jones) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14930

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

   Hi, it takes me a long time to get back to people because I just
got this computer and all this is new to me. I do not yet know howe
to upload or download messages so my time is limited here.

    Let me explain my situation first (hopefully without running out
of time). Maybe you can help.I am a T-1 para who had no serious problems
for the first 5 years after my injury. I got married (and divorced),
went back to school and graduated with a B.S. in soocial work, and
got very active in wheelchair racing,

     About a year and a half ago I developed lower back pain on the
right side. Several months later I developed apain that feels like
a nail in the ball of my foot.I also have a bad right hip now.

     I have had every test and procedure in the book to alleviate
this problem with no success. I have seen no less than 20 doctors
in both Cleveland and Phoenix where I now live. I have had 3 Mr
MRIs, 2 IVPs, an EMG (?),a bone scan, seen a chiropracter, seen a
kinisiologist, goner to pain mgmt., been on as much as 200 mg. baclofen
daily, taken pain pills, tegretol, had injections of facet joints
twice, foot twice, and hip once with cortisone, had cortisone nerve
blocks and a morphine block. I am currently having muscle stretching
done. Nothing has helped. I have been told to accept it by doctors
who do not live with the pain. It has affected every aspect of my
life. I can no longer even sit in my chair without terrible pain and
there is much pain even in bed. I cannot accept it. I do and always
did accept my injury, but not the pain. Any help appreciated.

   I had reservations about the morphine blocks before I had them
also as I have overcome problems with drugs and alcohol. I was assured
that the injection would in no way impair my thinking since the drug
is not injected muscularly but instead intrathecally (directly into
the fluid surrounding the spinal cord). Therefore it acts only on
the nerves coming out from the cord. I am currently investigating
a morphine or baclofen pump which works the same way. I do not know
much about this other than what the doctor told me. Any information
would be appreciated. I am desperate for relief from the pain and
I know that any relief offered now looks good.

     I really enjoy this communication with others in the same boat.
This computer may have been a lifesaver (literally) for me.

                                             Desperate but
                                             hangin in there,
                                                    Keith

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Keith.Jones
Internet: Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Keith Jones) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14934

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

  Liz I had a morphine block done to relieve intractable pain in my

lower back and foot. It was done by a neurosurgeon in Cleveland. It
is a fairly simple and common procedure and it ha helped many others.
I am considering at this time having a baclofen or morphine pump put
in that drips the drug directly on the intrathecal part of the cord.
I am seeing a doctor in spinal cord research. I was told the whole
operation to have the pump installed was $15,000. They will try a
shot first to see if it works. Sorry I took so long to get back but
I just got this computer and do not know how to uploadf or download
messages yet so my time in the echo is limited. I would question your
doctor as to the actual procedure and ask him how many he or she has
done and what the downside is. I too live with chronic pain (for the
last 20 months). I have tried everything I have heard of. Pain does
strange things to the mind and can make us vulnerable to all kinds
of people ( legit and non-legit) who promise cures for us. The best
thing you can do, as I said is question your doctor and once you have
made your decision, put your trust in your decision and more importantly
trust God. Good Luck.
                      Keith Jones

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15.0!Keith.Jones
Internet: Keith.Jones@p0.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Orville Bullitt) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14939

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 KJ>   Liz I had a morphine block done to relieve intractable pain in my
 KJ> lower back and foot. It was done by a neurosurgeon in Cleveland. It
 KJ> is a fairly simple and common procedure and it ha helped many
 KJ> others.

 Just what is that procedure?
 I had an L5 - S1 Spondololisthesis BEFORE I had my moped accident.
 In that accident I broke my neck at C2,  my left collar bone, all my left ribs
in TWO places each and my right 10th rib.
 Needless to say, I made my Spondo a LOT worse.
 To compound my problems, an MRI in June of '90 discovered an impingement on
the spinal cord at T8 - T9 and a problem at T2.
 My greatest pain is at night when I go to bed!
 Thank you,
 Orville

... I look better than I feel.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!135!36!Orville.Bullitt
Internet: Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org

Jean.Prophet@f33.n371.z1.fidonet.org (Jean Prophet) (04/20/91)

Index Number: 15039

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 >      About a year and a half ago I developed lower back pain on
 > the
 > right side. Several months later I developed apain that feels
 > like a nail in the ball of my foot.I also have a bad right hip
 > now.

      First of all - you're not crazy - that pain is really there
(as you already know <grin>).  Buddy (my other half) has a
C3-C4-C5-C6 incomplete spinal injury (little background for ya').  His
original injury was in 1981.  He walks (how I don't know how and
neither do the doctors) - some days are better than others.  His
spazms are terrible - they come and go seemingly at will - some days
are better than other days.

 >      I have had every test and procedure in the book to
 > alleviate
 > this problem with no success. I have seen no less than 20
 > doctors in both Cleveland and Phoenix where I now live. I have
 > had 3 Mr
 > MRIs, 2 IVPs, an EMG (?),a bone scan, seen a chiropracter, seen

      Last year he fell down our back steps due to a muscle spazm
'catching' him off guard.  At that point, he suffered severe neck pain
(again) and a few days later he discovered he had MUCHO pain in his
lower back (left side).  I took him to the doctor and he was
immediately put into the hospital .... like you said happened to you
-- they did every test imaginable.  NOTHING showed up but the pain IS
there and it IS real ... The doctor could only tell us that Buddy's
condition is detiorating and will get worse with time (nice thought,
huh ??).

 > a kinisiologist, goner to pain mgmt., been on as much as 200 mg.
 > baclofen daily, taken pain pills, tegretol, had injections of
 > facet joints twice, foot twice, and hip once with cortisone, had
 > cortisone nerve blocks and a morphine block. I am currently
 > having muscle stretching done. Nothing has helped. I have been
 > told to accept it by doctors who do not live with the pain. It

      NOW, he has terrible pain in his left knee.  It swells and he
says it feels like it's going to explode at times.  It can hardly hold
his weight and gives out on him more often than not.  The doctor has
injected him (his low back, neck and hip) with Cortizone and Xylocane
(sp).  It doesn't help.  Now Buddy has a VERY HIGH pain tolerance and
when HE says he is in pain, I believe him - it HAS to be bad !!
He was taking Baclofen but his new doctor told him that he didn't like
that drug and put him on Robflex - the Robflex did NOT work and he is
not back on the Baclofen.  The pain medication the doctor gave him
(Tylonel #3, 30 mlgms) don't help.  The sleeping pills don't work
either ....

 >      I really enjoy this communication with others in the same
 > boat.
 > This computer may have been a lifesaver (literally) for me.
 >                                              Desperate but
 >                                              hangin in there,

      Please keep hanging in there ... Buddy said to tell you that you
are not alone ... just keep going !!!  Buddy also said for you to
please let us know if you do the Baclofen pump thing and how it works
- we are seriously considering same.

                                    Jean

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!371!33!Jean.Prophet
Internet: Jean.Prophet@f33.n371.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15119

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 AH> I was not aware.  The doctors at my rehab didn't believe
 AH> in braces.  So, I spent three years holding
 AH> on to the back of my chair with my left arm to
 AH> prevent falling out of the damn thing.  I asked for
 AH> a brace just for balance. Answer was no.  Result - scoliosis.
 AH> Response?  It's normal for you folks. Of
 AH> course it is, if it isn't prevented!  Stupid fools.

        Just as patients have rights, they also have
responsibilities.  We have the responsibility to become inforned
about our disability and the dangers.  Being well informed
prevents poor treatment.

        It is all well and good to trust your doctor after you
determine that he knows what he's talking about.  Many of us
check out a lawyer or car mechanic better that we check out our
doctor.

        If you can read you can be informed.