[misc.handicap] Wheelchairs

marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Marc Sabb) (02/21/91)

Index Number: 13667

 I'm posting for a freind who has no net access so please E-mail to me.

She's interested in wheelchair preferences. She's self powered and has
been in one for 20 years. She's interested in a new model and has
narrowed it down to Quickie and Kuschall.

What she would like to know are peoples preferences who already own
these or experiences others have heard through the grapevine. I'll post
a list of replies if enough interest is shown.

 Thanks a lot,

 Marc

--
Marc Sabb                   INTERNET: marc@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu
Optical Sciences Center     VOICE:(602)-621-4099

marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Marc Sabb) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13837

A few days ago I posted a message for a freind concerning preferences in
wheelchairs. I'm posting a list of responses I received so as to help
others in their search.
Thanks for all the responses.

Marc
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 1991 01:16 EST
from: ROBERT MURPHY <RRM@ICF.HRB.COM>
subject: WHEELCHAIRS
To: MARC@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu

Just a little coments about your wheelchair posting. My sister was in a wheel-
chair temporarly and found that a "quickey" model was the best. I can't recall
if that was the name for sure, and she is out of town for the week so i can't
ask her at this time. But i am pretty sure that was it. I recall it was very
easy to use and built very good. I also remember that it was a good price.
Best of luck to your friend.

                                   Robert Murphy
                                   HRB-Systems
                                   State College,PA
                                                    16801

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 08:10 CST
from: RICHARD KERSHENBAUM <RICHARD@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
subject: Wheelchairs
To: marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu

> I'm posting for a friend who has no net access.
>
> She is interested in any information available on folding wheelchairs.
>Specifically models called "Quickie" and "Kuschall".
> She is in a wheelchair and rolls herself so she's not interested in motors.
>She's narrowed the field down to those two and would like to have some
>preferences.

I've known several folks with Quickie IIs, and they seem to be quite satisfied
with them.  They're durable, lightweight, and fold easily (the wheels snap off
for transportation, also).

For some unbiased and informed help, though, your friend should contact the
nearest independent living center.  They can be found in the yellow pages,
probably under "social service agencies".  These folks can help sort through
the salesmen's hype.

Hope this helps!
					--- Richard

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 11:32 CST
from: Richard Kershenbaum <RICHARD@lane.cc.ukans.edu>
To: marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu

If my wife still worked for the Research and Training Center on Independent
Living here at the University, I could probably get you the name and number of
your local ILC.  You should be able to find them in the phone book, though.
Those folks know the ropes and are eager to help, so be sure and have your
friend contact them.  They view being able to live independently and free of
restrictions with a disability as an issue of basic civil rights!

					--- Richard

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 91 12:46:15 -0500
from: jrb9y@mssun.ms.Virginia.EDU (Jeanne Brown)
To: marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu
subject: wheelchairs
Hi Marc,

I've had a Quickie for about 6 years now and am also looking around at the
various models for a new chair.  I'll probably go with another Quickie, but
will be looking at other models late next week.  I've had a couple of problems
with this Quickie:  1) the brakes become loose very quickly and are difficult
to tighten back up, they also wear down very quickly;  2)  the footrests are
rather flimsy - I have strong foot spasms, and the footrests bend down quite
fast due to the thin tubes used;  3) the crossbrace fractured once (I have a
folding model).  But I think these problems are more or less standard with
any chair, although I have seen better brakes on others.  I'd be interested
in seeing that list of replies.

Jeanne Brown

--
Marc Sabb                   INTERNET: marc@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu
Optical Sciences Center     VOICE:(602)-621-4099
University of Arizona       Disclaimer:Not my employer..blah...blah...
Tucson, Arizona, USA 85721  Not opinions,observations!

marc@fluor.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Marc Sabb) (03/07/91)

Index Number: 13844

 This is a reply to Don Birzer, whom I tried to E-mail to but was bounced twice.
Sorry to occupy space.

Don,

Thanks for a most thorough test report, ever think of working for
Car & Driver ?  I'll pass this on to Judy for her perusal.  I doubt
if she will perform the crosscountry stuff or the speed tests, here
in Az.  and on this campus we have an ideal atmosphere for
wheelchairs. The Univ. of Az.  has made the whole campus easily
accessible since our climate encourages wheelchair people to come
here. I imagine dealing with Winter is a real hassle.

Marc Sabb

marc@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu

--
Marc Sabb                   INTERNET: marc@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu
Optical Sciences Center     VOICE:(602)-621-4099
University of Arizona       Disclaimer:Not my employer..blah...blah...
Tucson, Arizona, USA 85721  Not opinions,observations!

Marc.Sabb.f15.n114.z1@hnews.fidonet.org Sabb) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13892

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 I'm posting for a friend who has no net access.

 She is interested in any information available on folding wheelchairs.
Specifically models called "Quickie" and "Kuschall".
 She is in a wheelchair and rolls herself so she's not interested in motors.
She's narrowed the field down to those two and would like to have some
preferences.

 I haven't found a wheelchair or disabled newsgroup so I'd appreciate
any info.

--
Marc Sabb                   INTERNET: marc@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu
Optical Sciences Center     VOICE:(602)-621-4099
University of Arizona       Disclaimer:Not my employer..blah...blah...
Tucson, Arizona, USA 85721  Not opinions,observations!

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (03/12/91)

Index Number: 13893

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

Marc, I have a Quickie II Extra and love it.  Only problem is that the
wheels are cambered out, which can be removed, and that makes the chair
26 inches wide.  That hurt after  using a 22" wide chair for years.
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

wheels@sequent (Kathy Coston) (03/16/91)

Index Number: 14057

In article <18048@bunker.UUCP>, Marc.Sabb.f15.n114.z1@hnews.fidonet.org
(Marc Sabb) writes:
> Index Number: 13892
>
>  I'm posting for a friend who has no net access.
>
>  She is interested in any information available on folding wheelchairs.
> Specifically models called "Quickie" and "Kuschall".

I am a paraplegic and I have been using a Quickie 2 chair for seven
years.  I had a few problems. I have had to have the brakes rebuilt
several times.  This is quite costly. I also have problems with the
footrests. They seem to loosen up quite frequently and would touch
the ground if I didn't tighten them up. I also had the frame break
and I had to send it in for repairs.  The frames are guaranteed for
life, but I did have to pay for the labor costs.  It also took
three months to get my chair back. I also have problems with my
axles sliding in the bracket which holds them. The bolts loosen up
all the time and the wheels slide forward and hit the small tires,
which of course makes it difficult to roll. I don't know if all
Quickies have this feature.  I use it to adjust my tires for
different terrain. This needs constant adjustment. I also recently
had to have the entire axle rebuilt on one wheel which cost me
$100.

There are some good points, though. My Quickie maneuvers well. It
is very lightweight. It folds up well, so I can put it behind my
driver's seat in my car. The leg rests pop off easily, too. With a
good set of tools, almost anyone can do simple repairs and tire
changes. Actually, considering how long I've had this chair and
what I put it through, I don't think it's done too bad. I would be
curious to find out how well it compares in needed repairs to other
types of chairs, though.

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14565

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 KC> I am a paraplegic and I have been using a Quickie 2 chair for seven
 KC> years.  I had a few problems. I have had to have the brakes rebuilt
 KC> several times.  This is quite costly. I also have problems with the
I have had the brake problem of the diamond shaped edges of the break bar
wearing out form contact with the tire.  Now how can a rubber tire wear
away metal?  Other then that love the chair.  My rear wheel shifted
forward als till I got a big enough wrench to hold the bolt really tight.
Other bit problem is spokes breaking all the time.  Have 4 broken now and
it is off to the bike shop to get fixed(medical supply house no longer
carries spokes-_).
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (03/29/91)

Index Number: 14576

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JL> Other bit problem is spokes breaking all the time.  Have 4 broken now
and
 JL> it is off to the bike shop to get fixed(medical supply house no longer

 JL> carries spokes-_).

        I have those big mag wheels that take kids bicycle tires
and tubes very well.  Even buying the 'expensive' racing slicks
is cheaper than E&J.  The only problem is I have yet to find a
supplier for those 8" babies in the front.

        Care is half the battle.  A good polish job with spray
turle wax every so often, wiping them clean weekly, and touching
any rough area with clear nail polish.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

edward@TWG.COM (Edward C. Bennett) (03/30/91)

Index Number: 14581

Joe Chamberlin writes:

>        I have those big mag wheels that take kids bicycle tires
>and tubes very well.  Even buying the 'expensive' racing slicks
>is cheaper than E&J.  The only problem is I have yet to find a
>supplier for those 8" babies in the front.

Ditto. Bypass your wheelchair dealer and go to a bike shop. It's
much cheaper.

Personally, I go with E&J or Invacare rear tires because of the
material. The black rubber that goes into bicycle tires is very
soft and will leave black streaks on everything your wheels touch.
Since rear tires, at least for me, last several years, I can afford
the higher per unit cost.

Joe's right about 8" front tires. My bike shop has been looking, but
has yet to find the right ones. They have found tubes for them.
Their tubes are only 1-1/4" rather than the 1-3/4" that match the
tire, at $3.50/tube vs. $8 or $9/tube, they're close enough.
--
Edward C. Bennett - The other WIN/MHS & MMDF guy	edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

spgreg@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae) (04/03/91)

Index Number: 14604

In article <18433@bunker.isc-br.com>, John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org
(John Lynch) writes...
>Index Number: 14565
>I have had the brake problem of the diamond shaped edges of the break bar
>wearing out form contact with the tire.  Now how can a rubber tire wear
>away metal?  Other then that love the chair.  My rear wheel shifted

It's not the rubber that is wearing down the metal, it's the grit (sand) that
the tires pick up.

>Other bit problem is spokes breaking all the time.  Have 4 broken now and
>it is off to the bike shop to get fixed(medical supply house no longer
>carries spokes-_).
>Regards, John

Inexpensive wheel/tire/tube source:
	Mega Bike 1-800-332-mega 1-213-547-1112 (LA area)
	San Pedro CA
In spite of the name, they sell only wheelchair products--Kevlar
reinforced tires $15-25, tubes $5-15, mag wheels $190/pr (spokeless).
They carry the hard to find 8 x 1.75 and 8 x 2 in tubes and tires.
They also carry the polyurethane puncture guard I saw described here
recently.

Keep it rollin'
Greg

     MacRae                  |      Bright red pepper pod...
   spgreg@csd.lerc.nasa.gov  |        Darting dragonfly!
                             |                      -Basho

John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14893

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 KC> I am a paraplegic and I have been using a Quickie 2 chair for seven
 KC> years.  I had a few problems. I have had to have the brakes rebuilt
 KC> several times.  This is quite costly. I also have problems with the
I have had the brake problem of the diamond shaped edges of the break bar
wearing out form contact with the tire.  Now how can a rubber tire wear
away metal?  Other then that love the chair.  My rear wheel shifted
forward als till I got a big enough wrench to hold the bolt really tight.
Other bit problem is spokes breaking all the time.  Have 4 broken now and
it is off to the bike shop to get fixed(medical supply house no longer
carries spokes-_).
Regards, John

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/15/91)

Index Number: 14904

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JL> Other bit problem is spokes breaking all the time.  Have 4 broken now
and
 JL> it is off to the bike shop to get fixed(medical supply house no longer

 JL> carries spokes-_).

        I have those big mag wheels that take kids bicycle tires
and tubes very well.  Even buying the 'expensive' racing slicks
is cheaper than E&J.  The only problem is I have yet to find a
supplier for those 8" babies in the front.

        Care is half the battle.  A good polish job with spray
turle wax every so often, wiping them clean weekly, and touching
any rough area with clear nail polish.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15123

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 To: spgreg@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Greg Macrae)

 GM> Inexpensive wheel/tire/tube source:
 GM>         Mega Bike 1-800-332-mega 1-213-547-1112 (LA area)
 GM>         San Pedro CA
 GM> In spite of the name, they sell only wheelchair products--Kevlar
 GM> reinforced tires $15-25, tubes $5-15, mag wheels $190/pr (spokeless).
 GM> They carry the hard to find 8 x 1.75 and 8 x 2 in tubes and tires.
 GM> They also carry the polyurethane puncture guard I saw described here
 GM> recently.

        Thanks for the info.  Those little wheels are hard to
find and I will check this out.