[misc.handicap] incapaciated & drugs

Ron.Shaw@f7.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Shaw) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15126

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

  I've had cronic pain since 1972 and have tried it all. from DMSO to
  Nerve stimulators. The nerve stimulators allowed me to continue on my
  job as an engineer for about 5 more months, only because I had the
  sucker on 24 hours per day. Finally I became immune to it, started
  wearing a heating pad to work & pluggin it in at my desk. This worked
  for a month (of which I probably missed 3/4 of work time). As a last
  resort after numerous medications including valium, percodan and the
  like, I resorted to smoking pot. Naturally being illegal I had my
  druthers, but wanted to continue to function in society. Well THe Pot
  decreased the pain from the backaches, reduced the muscle spasms &
  cramps, but it does not allieviate completely the pain either. Only
  de-sensitizes your brain to it. Now after not smoking it for a
  considerale length of time, I no longer can function outside of my 3
  room apartment. My doctor has prescribed Pot, but the hold up is the
  DEA. They don't care what condition you are in, they just want to
  hinder anyone in pain from getting anything that may help. Although
  Pot is not a cureall (and if you can stay away from it, by all means
  do), it does not give you the side effects of other medications which
  include SUPER stomache problems, shaking & dizziness, going out of
  your head, deep depression (as valium), and other disfunctions. my
  vote is for pot to help cronic pain (but not to be completely
  legalized. Have any of you tried it? Robert Randall of ACT (Alliance
  for Canibus theraputic) was the first able to legally obtain
  Marijuana, and I have been legally able to obtain it since december
  of 1990 (although with the Hinderance of the DEA I have of yet to
  recieve a shipment). They also have a synthetic form of marijuana
  called Marinol. This is a joke. It is very expensive (a bottle of 25
  capsules-liquid filled 2.5 mg) is 55 bucks. and lasts for about 2
  days. Normal doses of pot consists of a bottle of marinol at 10 mg
  strength which costs around 181 bucks for 25 pills. Unlike pot, you
  can not take a toke or two, put it out for later use. One sever side
  effect of the Marinol is chest pains, shit it makes you feel as if
  you are having a heart attack.
  BTW my problem (well one of them) is Post-Polio syndrome ,PPS or
  polio mylositis. For the past 7 years I have been completely confined
  to my apartment, and 18 - 23 hours per day to my bed (under a heating
  blanket to slow down the muscle spasms and cramps)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!7!Ron.Shaw
Internet: Ron.Shaw@f7.n374.z1.fidonet.org