[misc.handicap] eeek!

Lana.Berrington@f424.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Lana Berrington) (04/17/91)

Index Number: 15013

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

Hi All!

Eeek!   My ASL teacher want's us to do a SONG for class.   My
friend decided that we should do the theme song from the Phantom of
the Opera!  My brain is melting!!  Before I can do the easy part
and figure out what the appropriate signs are, I've got to
translate it to ASL!   ACK!

   how would you say:

"Sing once again with me
A strange duet.
My power over you
Grows stronger yet
And thought you turned from me.
To glance behind
The Phantom of the Opera is there...
Inside your mind."

Where night is blind.

ACK!   Where night is blind.. what's that supposed to mean..  I
mean I could just sign "WHERE NIGHT IS BLIND"  but I'm sure my
teacher would hit me. What's the concept behind this... should I
just leave that line out?  What about "sing once again with me, a
strange duet"   .. I mean does he REALLY mean that it's STRANGE
when they sing together???    Perhaps.. something like "sing with
me again, just the two of us" would work..

~ <*Lana*> ~

 # Origin: The Point of No Return: Calgary, Alberta! (201:5500/55.4)
   To respond netmail, use FSC-0038 DOMAIN lines or as 1st line of msg use:
   @DOMAIN METRONET 201:5500/55.4 <your address: domain z:n/n>
=== FNPGate 2.50 Release

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!424!Lana.Berrington
Internet: Lana.Berrington@f424.n104.z1.fidonet.org

Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Fran O'gorman) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15101

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 LB>   Eeek!   My ASL teacher want's us to do a SONG for class.   My
 LB>   friend decided that we should do the theme song from the Phantom
 LB>  of the Opera!  My brain is melting!!  Before I can do the easy
 LB>  part and figure out what the appropriate signs are, I've got to
 LB>  translate it to ASL!

Hi Lana!  Can I back you up a bit and ask WHY you are doing this
particular song?  When I took my Intermediate ASL course the
teacher strongly discouraged songs like this for the very reason
you're scratching your head--that kind of imagery doesn't lend
itself to ASL.  It's doable but it does mean some poetic
interpretation --that's the challenge and the problem...

 LB>  ACK! how would you say:
 LB> "Sing once again with me
 LB> A strange duet.

The word order could (probably should) be different but the gist
could be "Sing again strange song for 2 voices with me".  In other
words, what I get out of this is that it's the song that's
strange, and also meant for 2 voices, and that he's asking her to
sing it with him (again).  That's my interpretation...

 LB> My power over you
 LB> Grows stronger yet

strong I become over you...I'd get intense here to show VERY
strong as I did it rather than literally sign it...

 LB> And thought you turned from me.
 LB> To glance behind

This I'd set up and act out (along with the signs of course)

 LB> The Phantom of the Opera is there...
 LB> Inside your mind."

That's why this is such a bad choice of songs to do, there's a
sign for ghost which you can use for 'phantom' but I doubt that
there's one for opera --except maybe miming an opera singer--but
if you have to fingerspell it--it'll kill the flow...the rest from
those lines is pretty obvious...

 LB> Where night is blind.

That's where you'll have to use poetic license...I'd just indicate
the night being blind up by your head (assuming that's the 'where'
he's referring to)

I'd check with your teacher first though if I were you, she may
well suggest a different song.  I saw 'hello again' by Neal
Diamond and that went really well and 'wind beneath my wings' was
one someone was working on but I never got to see her do (I was
absent) but the images are more tangible type things...

--Fran

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!94!Fran.O'gorman
Internet: Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org

Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Fran O'gorman) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15115

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 FO>> That's neat, if sign were taught more at an age like that when
 FO>> they're like sponges and pick up language so easily, more people
 FO>> would know it

 JO> You are SO RIGHT about that, Fran.  A younger sibling of Marisa'a
 JO> (Caitlin - age 4) taught herself the manual alphabet and is quicker
 JO> than I am - both expressive and receptive.  Caitlin knows all her
 JO> letters, but often has no idea what the words spell.

Well she will eventually but in the meantime her hands (and
fingers) are becoming 'fluent' so-to-speak and it's the same way
with learning to speak a foreign language.  Bush is talking so
much about education changes (sweeping ones) I think that the
'when' of the teaching is such a key here--at that age they're a
natural for it.  Later we get tongue-tied/finger-tied and are so
afraid and self-conscious about messing up...although I suppose
it's unlikely with these changes that we're going to see foreign
and sign language as part of preschool and kindergarten curricula
:-) but for my part I'd like to see the opportunities be there for
the really young ones.  We Americans wouldn't be so limited
language-wise I think.

 JO> BTW, I hope the discussions of other "Hi-tech" approaches to sign
 JO> instruction will not discourage you from proceeding with SF.  Some
 JO> of the proposals may be closer to realization than my holographic
 JO> monitor - but they are definitely "birds in the bush".  SF is here
 JO> and now.  When one gets to my age, considerations like that become
 JO> quite important.

Thanks so much, Jack, for saying that.  I really was kind of at
the point where I was wondering, if Caren and Scott could do it so
quickly and easily, if the obsolescence of SF wasn't, in fact,
right around the corner.  But when I thought about it, even a few
years from now, there would still be plenty of systems like mine
that I'm writing this on, and people would/could still use it.
We're a small and not affluent school district here, and we still
have (believe it or not) a couple of old Commodore Pets and they
still work and the kids do use them.  Obviously it wouldn't make
sense to develop new software for these machines, but I'm grateful
for the software that does exist and they still have their
usefulness.  And in the case of the hardware I'm writing for it's
not even orphaned or anything.  I guess I needed a little time to
get my bearings, but I'm still plugging away, slowly but surely.
 :-)

 JO> I don't buy green bananas :-)

My goodness, Jack!  You sound like you think you're about to
expire tomorrow!  Please don't, we all enjoy you too much! <grin>
Seriously, you're NOT THAT OLD!!  Old is when you THINK old and
you're one of the youngest thinking types around IMHO :-)

--Fran

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!94!Fran.O'gorman
Internet: Fran.O'gorman@f94.n272.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker) (05/03/91)

Index Number: 15333

[This is from the Silent Talk Conference]

 > My 11 year old [hearing] granddaughter Marisa signed `wind
 > beneath my wings' in her sign class.  It was magnificent!

Jack, there is a choir in Lawtonland that consist of young deaf
adults who sign called 'The Rainbow Choir'.  They perform at
various events during the year and it's really a beautiful
sight to watch them, especially when signing Christmas Carols.

BTW - they perform with music blaring away, enough to make
some of our ears hurt but they do feel the vibrations.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14.0!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@p0.f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org