[misc.handicap] HIDDEN DISABILITIES

Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Carl Raskin) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15140

I would like to know if there is anyone on this echo who has a hidden
disability and would like to exchange views/experiences.  I have a hidden
disability (broken neck) which causes me to have to use a foot brace.
Have other balance problems, also, that are not readily visible.  Have a
wheel chair permit.  However, the possession of the permit does not stop
people from questioning propriety of me using handicapped parking.
Hidden disability causes other problems at work, especially concerning
failure of employer to reasonably accommodate.
  We had a hidden disability association here in Ottawa, Canada, but the
founder died and it petered out.  Would love to hear from others with
hidden disabilities.  Thanks.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!113!Carl.Raskin
Internet: Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Donna Siren) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15141

 CR> I would like to know if there is anyone on this echo who has a hidden
 CR> disability and would like to exchange views/experiences.

Hi, Carl.  Aside from my blindness which is very obvious, I have
petit mal epilepsy.  My seizures are very mild--I don't fall, in
fact I've had a few in the shower and nothing happened.  Luckily, I
have warnings and when I have the seizure, I just moan and if I'm
spoken to, could say a few words that don't make much sense.  When
I come out of the seizure, I'm confused for a minute or two,
depending on how bad the seizure is.  All my friends know about it,
so if I have a seizure in front of them, it's no big deal, but my
big fear is that it will happen in front of someone who doesn't
know and won't know what's wrong.  If I had an average of two
seizures a year, this wouldn't bother me so much, but if I go two
weeks without having one, that's good.  The doctor doesn't think
that it's safe for me to take busses or walk places alone, because
I could have a seizure and step out into the street and in front of
a car, so I go places in cabs and I've told a lot of the drivers
about the seizures and that they don't need to do anything for me,
to just continue driving.  Well, this message is getting rather
long, so I'll say good-by for now.
	       Donna

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.19!Donna.Siren
Internet: Donna.Siren@p19.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Jean-pierre.Beland@f215.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Jean-pierre Beland) (04/24/91)

Index Number: 15142

Hidden Disabilities Association in Ottawa still exist and has been continued
by John Markwick.  His telephone number is 613-837-4719.
the address is 1344 Belcourt Blvd, apt. B2, Gloucester, Ont. K1C 1L9.
cheers, J.P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!215!Jean-pierre.Beland
Internet: Jean-pierre.Beland@f215.n163.z1.fidonet.org

mtc@iexist.att.com (Marguerite T Czajka) (04/25/91)

Index Number: 15208

In article <18963@bunker.isc-br.com>, Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org
(Carl Raskin) writes:
> Index Number: 15140
>
> I would like to know if there is anyone on this echo who has a hidden
> disability and would like to exchange views/experiences.  I have a hidden
> disability (broken neck) which causes me to have to use a foot brace.

My problem is with chronic pain.  I think most people don't realize that
which makes them question my use of the handicapped spaces.  But in a
way, I prefer people who speak up, I figure they're just trying to make
sure the wrong people aren't parking there.  I've never had anyone get nasty
about it though.

Where my biggest problem comes in is grocery stores.  There really isn't
any place to rest if I start getting sharp pains, and the checkout lines can
be agony.  Luckily, the stores near me are 24 hour ones, so I can go when
no one else is shopping.

Marguerite

Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Carl Raskin) (04/26/91)

Index Number: 15219

Hi Donna.  Nice to meet you.  I have a balance/mobility problem caused by
a broken neck.  Anyway, I was most curious about the availability of
para-transit facilities to persons with hidden disabilities.  Have a
blind acquaintance here in Ottawa that was in the vanguard of getting
paratransit facilities for visually impaired persons.  Other main
"inconvenience" for me is mis-understanding by certain members of the
non-disabled communitiy when dealing with my handicapped parking permit,
as it "why do you have it?"  Would be pleased to hear from you again.
Good luck.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!113!Carl.Raskin
Internet: Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Jay.Steinhardt@f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Steinhardt) (04/26/91)

Index Number: 15224

Hi Donna!
I am a male, 35 years old who also has epilepsy.  I am uncontroalable
and my rate is aprox. 3 to 7 per week.  I have complex-partial seizures
that is a simmilar type to yours.  D do not drive but I do take a bus
and cab.  I also am a social worker for the Indiana Protection and
Advocacy Services office.  I mannage the cases for the capital city.
My case lode is based on protecting the civil rights of the disabled in
my district.
qI use to serve on the Epilepsy Service Commission and run a field
office as a consultant.  Personaly I think your doctor is all wet.  The
way I get around the issue of having a seizure in public is to ware a
MEDIC-ALERT that advises the EMTs of m{y condition and tells them "in
case of seizure do not transport!"  The last time I was transported I
filed an action against the ambulance company.  I have been left alone
since then.  The key to the disabled indiviual is being open and
assertive about the condition.  My folks tried to hide my disability
and told me all kinds of reasons that I should not "risk" expososure.
I found that when I made my {abilities known and exersized all my
rights under 504, 503 and now soon to come the ADA I could go alot
further.
Feel free to writte me if you have any questions

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!231!230!Jay.Steinhardt
Internet: Jay.Steinhardt@f230.n231.z1.fidonet.org

Jean-pierre.Beland@f215.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Jean-pierre Beland) (04/26/91)

Index Number: 15249

CR->suggestion here in Ottawa, Canada to grant to disabled
CR->persons the authority to ticket cars that were illegally
CR->parked in handi spaces.  I would love to be able to hand
CR->out a ticket to someone who is parked "just for a minute".

Hi! Carl, even though the disabled have not the authority to ticket
illegally parked cars in the handicapped parking spot, there is a note that
can be placed on the windshield that is available from the Disabled Person's
Resource Center on Carling Avenue.
I got a bundle from them and use them often, especially in shopping malls
parking.
cheers, J.P.
The Sugar Bush BBS 613-837-5473
for the interest of the disabled of Ottawa-Carleton.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!215!Jean-pierre.Beland
Internet: Jean-pierre.Beland@f215.n163.z1.fidonet.org

cnorman@weber.ucsd.edu (Cyndi Norman) (05/01/91)

Index Number: 15268

writes:
>Index Number: 15140

>I would like to know if there is anyone on this echo who has a hidden
>disability and would like to exchange views/experiences.

Among others...not being able to be in the same room or, even
outdoors with, a cigarette (I vary from being able to tolerate a
few whiffs to getting sick at the first smell).  It makes no
difference if it's tobacco, pot, or insence.  Symptoms include:
headache, nausea, spaciness, irritibility, learning disabilities,
worsening of my hypoglyemia, and (my personal favorite)
hyperventalating until I become numb, nearly pass out, and fall to
the ground clutching my asmtha inhaler.

The irony is I can't go to rallies, marches, parades, or outdoor
gatherings with other people with disablities.  I'm excluded even
from participating in action to help myself.  Many people (and it
only takes one!) refuse to believe these symptoms exist and won't
change their behavior to accomadate me (I am intruding on their
rights, they say).  Though my disabilities aren't visable, I
probably have access to fewer public places than someone using a
wheelchair as well as reduced job and other oppurtunities.

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)         cnorman@ucsd (bitnet)
______________________________________________ cnorman@ucsd.edu (internet)

Carl.Raskin@f113.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Carl Raskin) (05/09/91)

Index Number: 15455

Greetings, Anton from a continent away!!  We Canadians have a reputation
of being too passive at times.  Unlike you Americans, we are not apt to
protest.  HOWEVER, the whole issue of illegal parking in handi-spaces is
one that pushes me to try and do something.  Personally, I am one of
those people who "looks" non-disabled.  With a foot brace, I give a
normal appearance to my walk - - People cannot "see" my balance problems
caused by spinal cord injury.  Anyway, I would LOVE for this echo to be
the catalyst concerning the issue of illegal parking.  Personally, I am
going to pursue the matter locally with someone who has a board here in
Ottawa.  Thanks for the message.  Good luck.  Carl.