[misc.handicap] Vax/Vms Speech Tracking Problem

Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Mika Pyyhkala) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15573

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I would appreciate any input, or suggestions on
the following problem.
I am using a Vax, and the Vms operating system at my college.
When using the Vax's built-in editor, Edit, the cursor does not
track the correct position of a line, when you are in an active arrowing
mode.  This occurs with Jaws, Buviness Vision, and Screen Reader.
Usually, the speech will indicate that you are on a different line than
you are on, and thus will read the wrong line.
Any input on why this might be happening, solutions to try,
or speech software that would work properly would be appreciated, as
other
students are also having problems using statistical packages on the Vax
because of this.
As a short-term solution, people have created files off-line, and then
uploaded them to the Vax.
Thanks,
Mika Pyyhkala

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Mika.Pyyhkala
Internet: Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (David Andrews) (05/16/91)

Index Number: 15667

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

///
MP> I am using a Vax, and the Vms operating system at my college.
 MP> When using the Vax's built-in editor, Edit, the cursor does not
 MP> track the correct position of a line, when you are in an active
 MP> arrowing mode.  This occurs with Jaws, Business Vision, and
 MP> Screen Reader. Usually, the speech will indicate that you are
 MP> on a different line than you are on, and thus will read the
 MP> wrong line.

What is probably happening is that the cursor on the VAX is moving slowly and
the speech programs are reacting too quickly, thus missing it.  You might want
to try PROVOX as it seems to keep track of the cursor better than some.  While
the program isn't perfect, this seems to be one of its strengths.

... David Andrews

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!David.Andrews
Internet: David.Andrews@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

covici@ccs.covici.com (John Covici) (05/16/91)

Index Number: 15704

Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Mika Pyyhkala) writes:

> I would appreciate any input, or suggestions on
> the following problem.
> I am using a Vax, and the Vms operating system at my college.
> When using the Vax's built-in editor, Edit, the cursor does not
> track the correct position of a line, when you are in an active arrowing
> mode.  This occurs with Jaws, Buviness Vision, and Screen Reader.
> Usually, the speech will indicate that you are on a different line than
> you are on, and thus will read the wrong line.
> Any input on why this might be happening, solutions to try,
> or speech software that would work properly would be appreciated, as
> other
> students are also having problems using statistical packages on the Vax
> because of this.

Well, if you have z modem uploading them isn't so bad, but anyway, what
terminal package are you using.  Some of them may fool speech programs into
indicating the wrong line, because it still looks visually OK.  I know
that with Telix, its at least the right line, although with Artic V3.03
if you move the cursor right it will speak the character where you were
instead of the one where you're going.  Some of the programs have cursor
delay functions to solve this problem, and I have a line editor which uses
regular expressions which I use all the time on the VAX and avoid the problem.

Hope this helps.