[misc.handicap] Airline Practices

Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Mika Pyyhkala) (04/13/91)

Index Number: 14832

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

In a message on the echo in the beginning of March, I described several
incidents that occurred while I was traveling on The Trump Shuttle.  The
last incident, probably the most blatent form of violation of common
sense, and federal regulations, involved myself walking down the
jet-way, and an agent yelling at me in front of others that I would fall
down, after I repeatidly told them I would be fine.
Anyway, I sent the Trump a five-page letter describing the various
incidents.
Today, I received a letter in response.
It apologized for the problems, and stated that a memorandum
was being sent to management with my letter, to be used
for employee training.
In addition, I received a $60 coupon off my next Trump
Shuttle purchase.
If anyone would like copies of either or both letters, I could
provide them to you.
I think the major point to make here is that you don't simply have to
accept airline discrimination that you experience.  I meet lots of
people who tell stories of problems they've had with personnell, but
they don't even bother to write a letter.  By writing letters, you can
help educate people, and even get coupons.
Mika

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Mika.Pyyhkala
Internet: Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Mika Pyyhkala) (05/04/91)

Index Number: 15358

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

What are the main types of problems you have had with
the airlines?
Have you tried to do anything, write letters, call them, etc.
Also, for a while, I've been thinking that maybe there should
be a survey among airlines, concerning the types of
issues that effect blind people.
However, on the other hand, it sort of depends on the crew,
more than the airline, I have found, and others have said.
However, does anyone have any thoughts on particular
carriers, a survey, etc.
What do you all think of Amtrek, Greyhound, Peter Pan, etc.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Mika.Pyyhkala
Internet: Mika.Pyyhkala@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Stew.Bowden@p0.f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Stew Bowden) (05/16/91)

Index Number: 15674

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 MP> Actually, I've never had an incident involving an exit row.
 MP> However, I feel that if they are going to let people
 MP> sit there who are drinking on board, or people they
Mika: how could you know that they just take blind persons out? Also
how do you know that drunks, or mentally retarded people are allowed
to sit in exit rows? In most of my experiences, the crew sat in the
door exit rows, and I have sat in many exit window rows myself.
 MP> before, I feel the airlines to a large part treat
Mika: on this point, shouldn't you be a bit more understanding? Are
you expecting people in the travel industry to know all there is to
know about blindness? When they ask if you wish to be preboarded, or
if you need assistance, all you need do is to say no thank you.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6.0!Stew.Bowden
Internet: Stew.Bowden@p0.f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Glen.Nielson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org (Glen Nielson) (05/21/91)

Index Number: 15745

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hi Walter,
     I tend to agree with your view of not fighting the airlines
too much. Next week I will be flying for the first time in two
years, so have been thinking about this tired old issue some.
I am someone who resists preboarding and prefers to make/muddle
my own way through airports.
     You know, the airlines may actually be right on the exit
row issue. Not having studied plane crash reports, I wouldn't
know for sure. I am convinced, however, that so much confrontation
by blind people where they just maybe, might be mistaken tends
to make it harder for us to decline unneeded help.
          Glen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!115!778!Glen.Nielson
Internet: Glen.Nielson@f778.n115.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Petraccaro) (05/21/91)

Index Number: 15751

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

-> In a message to Walter Siren <05-10-91 17:13> Glen Nielson wrote:
->
-> GN>      You know, the airlines may actually be right on the
-> GN> exit
-> GN> row issue. Not having studied plane crash reports, I
-> GN> wouldn't
-> GN> know for sure. I am convinced, however, that so much
-> GN> confrontation
-> GN> by blind people where they just maybe, might be mistaken
-> GN> tends
-> GN> to make it harder for us to decline unneeded help.

Glen,

     It's worse than that, really is.  If we keep taking issues which
people would call safety issues, and try to turn them into civil rights
issues, we look stupid at best.  Actually, we probably look
pathetic--really look just like those childish, out-of-touch types the
we've often heard about.  Having asked this before, I ask it again, is it
possibly what in other circumstances would be called a hidden agenda of the
NFB to do this and thus, ensure their continued "power" and existence?

     Ken Jernigan has spoken before the National Press Club and talked
about changes in SSA law which would give us a chance to at least try
various jobs and, provide for a quick turn on of funds if these tryouts
didn't work.  Now, that was enlightened.  That would encourage people to
experiment with their lives and grow.  This exit row bit, what does it do?
Well, for at least one thing, it encourages us to look for slights, and to
be self-obsessed in a negative way.  All the people who have made it in
this world say that they first had to do things their own way, and to shut
out negativity, concentrating on the goal they had in mind.  This does the
exact opposite.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Gary.Petraccaro
Internet: Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org