[misc.handicap] Hardware and software for the handicaped.

burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) (05/04/91)

Index Number: 15347

I am looking for a list of hardware and software that improve access for
the handicap to computers.  I am working in a University and would like
to expand our knowledge of what is avialable.
Please send me information including the name of the software/hardware
what it does, and where to get more information.

Thank you
Charles Burchill
Burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca

wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill Mcgarry) (05/04/91)

Index Number: 15348

Charles Burchill writes:

> I am looking for a list of hardware and software that improve access for
> the handicap to computers.  I am working in a University and would like
> to expand our knowledge of what is avialable.
> Please send me information including the name of the software/hardware
> what it does, and where to get more information.

As a first step, I would contact IBM's disability resource center
and get copies of all of their resource guides.  These guides explain
how computers are used with people with various handicaps as well
as give lists of equipment and manufacturers/distributors.

        IBM National Support Center for Persons with Disabilities
        P. O. Box 2150
        Atlanta, GA 30055
        (800) 426-2133
        (404) 238-4806

        (800) 284-9482 (TDD)

Good luck
Bill

Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (05/15/91)

Index Number: 15643

Hi Charles,

 CA> From: burchil@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill)
 CA> Index Number: 15347

 CA> I am looking for a list of hardware and software that improve
 CA> access for the handicap to computers.  I am working in a
 CA> University and would like to expand our knowledge of what is
 CA> avialable. Please send me information including the name of the
 CA> software/hardware what it does, and where to get more
 CA> information.

Well, now, that's a tall order. Can you be more specific? What handicapping
conditions are you looking at? What kind of uses are you going to put the
computers to, are you talking mainframe connections?

Would be glad to help if I had more info.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!207!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f207.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Sherwin) (05/17/91)

Index Number: 15720

Hi Ann,

pardon this part it's 'canned<-
# N3
Hi,  I feel I have some particularly interesting insights which
will help those of you in the teaching profession.  I am a
Quadriplegic <C-4 complete.>  Which has paralyzed me from the
neck down. Currently I use a MAC SE Personal Computer with a
Personics Headmaster headset to operate the system. I'm studying
Psychology at Marist College, and I'm a Senior with a 3.3 GPA.
   As you can see I am quite frank writing about this somewhat
difficult life circumstance.  With-out going into detail, I've
had many public speaking engagements in schools in my locality
and am willing to share any of that information with anyone who
might like or need to know about my life-style.  I'll check in
here from time to time, and I live in Beacon NY near Newburgh.

That saves a lot of keystrokes!  MCWS for Machintosh or PCWS for DOS
machines allow someone at home logon the mainframe with their own pc
and emulate a 3270 system in which full screen editing can be done with
whatever periferals one is aclimated with.  For me it's a Personics
Headmaster headset, but window and trackballs or any cursor controller
and its screentyping software (muli-tasking) will do the job.  I
addition Expressionist is a great math caracter generator.  I breazed
through Intermediate Algera, and the scoftware can general calculous
equations and symbols as well.  I've used both and excelled in both
algebra and statistics.  The equipment is so easy to use one could
follow a taped class doing the calculations at normal speed!  If you
don't believe I've done this check in the 1990-1991 edition of Who's
Who Among Student's in American Universities & Colleges and explain
what I'm [James E. Sherwin] doing wrong? ;-)

If you wish to discuss the vast amount of hard and software file I've
collected over the past few years try responding to this message of
give me a note on GEnie (address; sherwin) or bitnet (address;
khjq@musicb)  I'm not familiar in using bitnet but my accout code on
Marist College's [in Poughkeepsie, NY] musicb 'line' is khjq.

good luck,

\/ Squire \/
/\  Jim   /\

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!272!21!Jim.Sherwin
Internet: Jim.Sherwin@f21.n272.z1.fidonet.org

DDZ@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Carolyn Dudas) (05/22/91)

Index Number: 15756

You might want to try contacting the High-Tech Center for the Disabled in
California.  They have a book called COMPUTER ACCESS IN HIGHER EDUCATION
FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES.  This book would provide you with a good
start for the information you are looking for.  One of the appendices is
a product guide to adapted computer hardware and software.

There is no charge for this reference guide (at least there wasn't when
I got my copy last year).

For more info contact:
  High-Tech Center for the Disabled
  California Community College
  Chancellor's Office
  1109 Ninth Street
  Sacramento, CA  95814
    (916) 322-4636

DDZ@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Carolyn Dudas) (05/28/91)

Index Number: 15822

Trace Research and Development Center publishes a 900-page directory of
software, hardware, and augmentative communication equipment that might be
helpful.  The cost is $50.  For more info contact:
  Trace Research and Development Center
    on Communication Control and Computer Access for Handicapped Individuals
  University of Wisconsin-Madison
  Walsman Center
  1500 Highland Avenue
  Madison, Wisconsin 53705-2280