[misc.handicap] questions

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/20/90)

Index Number: 11900

        The following questions appeared on another echo dealing
with the disabled and I thought they would generate some
discussion here.  What are your thoughts?

        Handicapped People Using BBSes.

1) Does modeming retard our social involvements?

2) Do we feel more "protected" interacting with people via a
   modem?   And, if so, protected from what?

3) Do we ccompete with our fellow handicaps over who has the
   more debilitating disability?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (11/28/90)

Index Number: 11986

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message of <Nov 18 09:35> Joe Chamberlain (1:150/140@fidonet)
writes to All:
 JC:>        Handicapped People Using BBSes.
 JC:>1) Does modeming retard our social involvements?

Retard?  Hardly!  It enhances our social involvements, especially for those
who are homebound for whatever reason.

 JC:>2) Do we feel more "protected" interacting with people via a
 JC:>   modem?   And, if so, protected from what?

Absolutely.  We're protected by the anonymity of the screen.  A
person communicating with us via bbs doesn't see us, and therefore
doesn't form some of the unfair negative first impressions which
can occur upon seeing a person with a disability.  They can't know
of our handicap unless we tell them, so all are treated equally.

 JC:>3) Do we ccompete with our fellow handicaps over who has the
 JC:>   more debilitating disability?

Not that I've noticed.  We all have our bears to cross.
*adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12026

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JL> Well, Joe, I think that it helps a lot of people who don't get to meet

 JL> many people in their neighborhood with their physical problem.,  I
 JL> provides a place to exchange information and support others when the
 JL> times get tough, and most of us understand becouse we have probable been
 JL> in the blue funk also.

        I agree wholeheartedly.  I know on an average day I meet
more people with like disabilities on the SCI and ABLED echoes
than I would ever have the chance to meet in person.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12027

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JC:>1) Does modeming retard our social involvements?

 AH> Retard?  Hardly!  It enhances our social involvements, especially for
 AH> those who are homebound for whatever reason.

        This was my reaction too.  Being unable to travel as in
the past, the computer and modem lets me visit with friends
across the country.  I trade chapers of my book with two people
in R.I. and in CA.  I share in Jean and Buddy's love and
devotion, and thier adventures there at Green Acres.  I try to
understand your rustration and pain.

 JC:>2) Do we feel more "protected" interacting with people via a
 JC:>   modem?   And, if so, protected from what?

 AH> Absolutely.  We're protected by the anonymity of the screen.  A person
 AH> communicating with us via bbs doesn't see us, and therefore doesn't form
 AH> some of the unfair negative first impressions

        Again, I agree.
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (11/29/90)

Index Number: 12028

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 JH> Those questions read like something out of MAD Magazine...
 JH> I thought it was funny...it was a joke wasn't it?

        The questions were no joke.  They were posted first by a
person who gets about with a great deal of pain but little
outward signs of a physical disability.  Becoming a 'computer
geek' and communicating and socializing via modem is a real
concern for him.

        When I first read I understood that some would be
concerned about the image and others would be highlu thankful for
this avenue of interaction.  I spent 2.5 years running around the
fine country lecturing and attending conferences on the disabled
in the late 1970s.  My health prevents that now, but I have a
great interchange of ideas with others through my writing and
through BBSing.

        Consider as a fact that ACCENT magazine returned an
article to me on BBSing for the disabled saying they didn't think
their readership would be interested.  Maybe it was my writing
style, but I have not read anything in ACCENT about BBSing.

        Sorry, the questions were no joke.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Cummins) (12/14/90)

Index Number: 12502

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

>What are your thoughts?
>[ON]
>Handicapped People Using BBSes.
>
>1) Does modeming retard our social involvements?

     Modeming does NOT necessarily retard social involvements!  In
many cases, the modemer becomes acquainted socially with the people he
or she communicates with via the modem.  Also, knowledge gained from
telecommunications can be used in a social setting aside from modeming
itself.  IE sharp inside opinions on politics, and the like.

>2) Do we feel more "protected" interacting with people via a
>   modem?   And, if so, protected from what?

     Just because one is interacting with people using the modem doesn't
mean that he or she is NOT interacting with people outside a tele-
communications realm.  In this perspective, there is nothing to
be protected FROM.

>3) Do we compete with our fellow handicaps over who has the
>   more debilitating disability?

     Well, since I really don't qualify as handicapped, per se, I can't
answer with austerity.  BUT, discussion of handicapps doesn't seem
competitive, and one who purposely invokes such discussion TO BE
competitive would seem to be in the minority!

[=\Chris
[==]Just thought I'd put a few words in...

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.12

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Chris.Cummins
Internet: Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Cummins) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12553

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

>What are your thoughts?
>[ON]
>Handicapped People Using BBSes.
>
>1) Does modeming retard our social involvements?

     Modeming does NOT necessarily retard social involvements!  In
many cases, the modemer becomes acquainted socially with the people he
or she communicates with via the modem.  Also, knowledge gained from
telecommunications can be used in a social setting aside from modeming
itself.  IE sharp inside opinions on politics, and the like.

>2) Do we feel more "protected" interacting with people via a
>   modem?   And, if so, protected from what?

     Just because one is interacting with people using the modem doesn't
mean that he or she is NOT interacting with people outside a tele-
communications realm.  In this perspective, there is nothing to
be protected FROM.

>3) Do we compete with our fellow handicaps over who has the
>   more debilitating disability?

     Well, since I really don't qualify as handicapped, per se, I can't
answer with austerity.  BUT, discussion of handicapps doesn't seem
competitive, and one who purposely invokes such discussion TO BE
competitive would seem to be in the minority!

[=\Chris
[==]Just thought I'd put a few words in...

-- Via Opus Msg Kit v1.12

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!147!12.0!Chris.Cummins
Internet: Chris.Cummins@p0.f12.n147.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12564

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

CC>      Modeming does NOT necessarily retard social involvements!  In
CC> many cases, the modemer becomes acquainted socially with the people he
CC> or she communicates with via the modem.  Also, knowledge gained from
CC> telecommunications can be used in a social setting aside from modeming
CC> itself.  IE sharp inside opinions on politics, and the like.

        The object of the questions were to stimulate some thought
on the dangers of becoming a computer hermit.  How many hours do
you spend in warm glow of the monitor screen?  Do you base your
political opinions on the input you receive from the CONTROV echo
or do you watch C-SPAN and CNN?  Do you visit or have friends
visit with whom you can argue intelligently?

CC> Just because one is interacting with people using the modem doesn't
CC> mean that he or she is NOT interacting with people outside a tele-
CC> communications realm.  In this perspective, there is nothing to
CC> be protected FROM.

        Living with a disability often involves staying at home
more than the average individual.  Sometimes these requirements
become habits which interfere with a adequate social life and
which result in staying at home much more than the average
person.

        Maybe the questions should have been more direct.  When
was the last time you went to the beach, mountains, or the city?
When was the last time you visited someplace new?  Or, are you
visiting that same old friend for the 23rd time?  Do you shop in
the same supermarket all the time?  Have you tried a new mall
lately?

        What airline is the best for you?  Have you tried the
wonders of AMTRACK?  When was the last time you made a new friend
or met a stranger?  When was the last time you drove a strange
road and ended up somewhere you hadn't planned?

        How many new smells have you experienced lately?  Have
you smelled the homeless old lady begging near your office
building?  Do you know the smell of a street hot dog stand in the
winter?  How 'bout the local airport, dog pound, or new
construction site?
                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Hart@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Hart) (12/21/90)

Index Number: 12576

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

No, no, no.  I don't think we loose as much as we gain from the free
exchange of ideas. I am uninhibited whether via modem or face to face.
I do wish I could get some of my friendswith computers to realize how
much wider and CHEAPER their reach could be via ECHO mail.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!130!10!Walter.Hart
Internet: Walter.Hart@f10.n130.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (01/09/91)

Index Number: 12732

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

WH> I do wish I could get some of my friendswith computers
WH> to realize how much wider and CHEAPER their
WH> reach could be via ECHO mail.

        Ditto.  I know most of the local quads and even the ones
with computers and modems don't take advantage of this resource.
The information and peer exchange available here should be piped
into every spinal rehab unit.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Nancy Feldman) (05/06/91)

Index Number: 15396

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Some questions I have been asked:

1)  Why do you have lightbulbs in your house?
2)  Why don't you sing very well?  I thought all blind people could
sing well!

3)  How do you know how to have sex?  (This guy asked me this on a
bus one day.  I was about 18, still quite shy and easily
embarrassed.)  I got off at the very next stop, even though mine
was about 20 minutes away, and waited for the next bus.

4)  Who dresses you in the morning?

5)  How does your dog know where you want to go in the morning?

6)  How can you take care of kids?

Anyway, just a few, I'll try to think of more.

-> MegaMail v2.01 #0:Trust the computer!  The computer is your friend

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!605!Nancy.Feldman
Internet: Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Warren.Figueiredo@f6.n3800.z1.fidonet.org (Warren Figueiredo) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15557

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Oh, those are good ones. So true. So true. The one that gets me is when
my parents visit my hom and automatically say "Who did that for you?"
Pushes my button each time.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3800!6!Warren.Figueiredo
Internet: Warren.Figueiredo@f6.n3800.z1.fidonet.org

Diana.Dawne@f432.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Diana Dawne) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15559

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I think a really stupid question that I was asked was that famous place
for the-- the bus.  This older woman asked me if I were married.  I said
I was.  She asked me if I have children.  I told her no.  Then she said:
"Its God's blessing that you don't dearie!  Why how on earth could you,
a blind person tell if there was anything in a baby's diaper?"

We had the attention of everyone in the bus.  I responded that I hadn't
had any actual experience, but I would imagine that it would be quite
obvious one way or the other.  You should have heard everyone laugh.

Another time I was living in a small town.  I had a friend who was blind
who also lived there.  I am about five 3 and at the time was very thin.
My friend was about five ten and was very large.  To add to that, she
was pregnant, and really big yet people mixed us up like you can't
believe.

One day, I was in the hardware store and the lady waiting on me
mentioned that it was very difficult to tell us apart.  I explained that
my guide dog was a golden lab, while the other girl's was a german
Shepherd.  I also told her that right now my friend was going to have a
baby and so the difference in our size was dramitic.

The woman appeared to be awestruck.  "How on earth could your friend
have a baby?" she said "The girl being blind and all.  How do you think
it happened."

Well," I said, "I wasn't there when it happened, but I would guess it
happened in the usual way."

Everyone in the store laughed except that woman.

 * EZ 1.30 *

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!109!432!Diana.Dawne
Internet: Diana.Dawne@f432.n109.z1.fidonet.org

Margo.Downey@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Margo Downey) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15562

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Well, I like your questions.  Have been asked those, too.  Guess the one that
surprised me the most was from a college friend who suddenly asked one day,
"How do you know when your period has started?"  I put the question back in
her ball park by mentioning to her that there are other signs other than sight
and asked her to come up with those signs--she did, and her question was
answered by her--not me.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!60!Margo.Downey
Internet: Margo.Downey@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org

Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Nancy Feldman) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15569

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

While traveling in the Bay Area I was always armed.  It was safer
that way.  Besides, most people didn't want to tangle with my
Shepherd guide.  Although a good guide, she was one of the most
unfriendly looking dogs I have ever seen, and most sighted people
agreed.

Besides, I wasn't thinking real clearly.  Being so shy and really
embarrassed at that point, I just wanted to get out of there.  But
do sighted people have the right to ask me these questions?  Does
anyone have the right?  Why am I less a person, subject to very
personal questions, just because I am blind?

-> MegaMail v2.01 #0:Green, blue, brown or bronze; I'm not choosy!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!605!Nancy.Feldman
Internet: Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Diana.Dawne@f432.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Diana Dawne) (05/31/91)

Index Number: 15903

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 Unfortunately Nancy, it seems most of the sighted persons I run into
 have had much the same problem-- that of meeting a lot of dependent,
 uneducated unmotavitedblind people.  Unfortunately these people do make
 it seem undesirable to know a blind person don't they?  I do think that
 things are getting better but they have a very long way to go.  Glad
 things seem to be a little better.
 * EZ 1.30 *