[misc.handicap] information

Ron.Rothenberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rothenberg) (01/12/90)

Index Number: 6202

 PH> Ron-
 PH> You recently posted an address for info published by Whirlpool
 PH> for information.  Could you post it again?
 PH> Additionally, some months ago, you responded to a request by me
 PH> for info concerning keyboard input devices for people lacking
 PH> manual dexterity. Would you please repost?

Hi Paul:

Whirlpool Corporation
Appliance Info Service
Benton Harbor, MI 49022

"Designs for Independent Living" and "Tools for Independent Living"

I think I posted info on several devices, particularly the Magic Wand. There is
an article on the Magic Wand in this winter's Accent on Living Magazine.

Original messages:

                             Communi-Mate(c)
                            Wells & Ryan, Inc.

Communi-Mate(c) Communication

Converse - Carry on a conversation with family and friends using a
library of commonly used words and phrases, which can be easily
expanded and modified by the user!

Write - Compose letters to friends and family, write messages to the
doctor, "things-to-do" lists for the kids, even speeches!  Anything
composed can be printed, viewed, spoken or stored and recalled
immediately, or at a later date!

Speak & Print - Use the voice synthesizer to say what you've written or
to carry on a conversation with family and friends.  Use the printer to
produce high quality 8-1/2" x 11" type-written pages for any
correspondence!

(The voice synthesizer is a Votrex speech producer.  We have not found
this to be a major problem; however, a more sophisticated voice can be
purchased from Wells & Ryan, Inc., though their prices can be high.)

Medical Assistance - Indicate basic medical conditions such as lower
back pain,

headache, back needs scratching, etc.  Also call for assistance with a
signal that can be activated from most menus!  This signal can be heard
in the next room over the television.  It is a continuous beep.

Communi-Mate(c) Environmental Control
Over 250 household appliances can be controlled by the user by plugging
this system into any electrical outlet in the home.  This system can
turn lights, televisions, stereos, alarms, ~ anything electrical ~ on,
off, up or down!

Optional accessories include the thermostat control, recliner chair and
bed control, home security devices, emergency phone caller and many
more!

How It Works
Communi-Mate(c) is controlled entirely through the use of a single switch.
There are many different types of switches available, such as a blink switch
mounted on eyeglass frames, a brow switch implanted in a favourite headband, a
pressure-sensitive switch, or a puff and sip switch.  Custom switches are
available for special needs.

It's Simple To Use
Even though Communi-Mate(c) is a powerful and full-featured
comunication and environmental control system, it's very simple to use.
Communi-Mate(c) comes with a large, easy to read screen.  Anyone can
begin using it in a matter of minutes.  People from ages 5 to 75 have
used Communi-Mate(c) with ease.

It's Fast - Yet Controllable
Communi-Mate(c) users can set their own pace.  Communi-Mate(c) allows
the user to speed the system up as fast as they like, yet beginners can
set a slow, easy pace to learn Communi-Mate(c).

It's Portable
Communi-Mate(c) is easily transportable and can be operated from any
electrical outlet.  Communi-Mate(c) is also available for hookup on
electric wheelchairs.  A special device allows the system to operate
using battery power directly from the wheelchair.

(Wells & Ryan Inc. readily admit that the correct term would be luggable.  We
have built a wooden tray to sit on the front of our wheelchair and the monitor
sits there.  We intend to suspend the CPU from the back of the chair by means
of Bungee Cords.  We have had the system just over a week.)

It's Well Designed

>From basic conversation to complex text composition, Communi-Mate(c)
methodology is as close to the human thought process as possible.  Years of
extensive research, working closely with patients and actual users of
Communi-Mate(c), have resulted in an extremely powerful ~ yet easy to use ~
communication and environmental control system.  The Communi-Mate(c) system is
the result of years of research and development involving the key ingredient ~
people using the system.

Communi-Mate(c) Service
Communi-Mate(c) representatives are strongly committed to service!
Just call the 24 hour hot-line number (312) 816-8580 with any questions
or probloems.  Service contracts can be custom designed for the
individual and regional needs.

System improvements, added features and accessory equipment are
continuously being developed.

Current versions are available in both English and Spanish. Other
languages are available upon request.

Wells & Ryan, Inc. is dedicated to the continued development of
Communi-Mate(c)

for the purpose of enhancing the quality of life!

Wells & Ryan, Inc.
39 Crestland Road
Indian Creek, IL     60060

(Our entire system - monitor, cpu, voice synthesizer, printer, video
training tape, written manual in straightforward English, loud alarm or
chime alert and one appliance module (More of the latter available at
Radio Shack $10- $15) came to a grand total of $2500 US.  A service
contract was $375 per year and includes FREE software upgrades.
Muscular Dystrophy in the US reimburses $350, but you'll have to
scramble for the rest.

We were impressed, overwhelmed, stupefied, and dumbfounded when we
received our system.  Steve Wells is a most personable young man, who
is very anxious to assist patients in any way he can.  We have found
him to be most helpful.  He is always actively seeking feedback from
users so that the product can continue to grow to fill their needs.  We
feel this is one of the most important factors along with the service
contract, which includes free software upgrades and 24-hour replacement
of defective parts or the whole system if anything goes wrong.)

(continued)

... It is better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick-D. Barry's Mom

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Ron.Rothenberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org RON ROTHENBERG (Ron Rothenberg) (01/12/90)

Index Number: 6203

(continued from previous message)
                Announcing the Magic Wand Keyboard
                       by In Touch Systems
   The Magic Wand keyboard is a miniature IBM-style computer keyboard
designed specifically for mouthstick users and one- handed typists.  No
strength, reach, or dexterity is required; it works with the slightest
touch of a wand.  There are no mechanical keys to press and the entire
keyboard measures 7" x 6" x 0.5", with the keypad area only 5.4" x 3".  The
true magic of the keyboard is that now a disabled computer user can access
a PC exactly like everyone else.  That's because the Magic Wand keyboard is
not a "keyboard emulator"; it is a regular PC keyboard.  Therefore, it
requires no cumbersome devices, no installation, and no special programs or
adaptive cards--it simply plugs into the standard keyboard socket of any
IBM PC computer or compatible.  It uses no memory and is 100% software
compatible.  My husband originally designed the Magic Wand keyboard so that
I could use a computer (I am a quadriplegic, having had polio as a child).
I've used it almost daily for over a year.  I am a writer and do all of my
word processing on an IBM PC (not to mention playing an occasional arcade
game).  For more information, just leave me your name and address in
EasyPlex on CompuServe (74425,1633), or write: In Touch Systems 11 Westview
Road Spring Valley, NY 10977 Or call me at 914-354-7431.
Hi, everyone!  Jerry and I would like to announce that the Magic Wand
Keyboard is now available for all IBM computers: the IBM PC, XT, AT, and
PS/2 computers and compatibles.  The Magic Wand keyboard is a miniature
IBM-style computer keyboard designed for anyone who cannot easily press a
key, hold down two or more keys at the same time, or reach from one end of
the PC keyboard to the other.  It offers mouthstick users and one-handed
typists the opportunity to use a computer fully, easily, and exactly like
everyone else--with a real keyboard. No uncomfortable devices to wear or
set up.  That's because the Magic Wand keyboard is not a "keyboard
emulator"; it's a full-function PC keyboard.  It plugs into the standard
keyboard socket of any IBM computer or compatible and requires no
installation, no special software or adaptive cards, and uses no memory and
no screen display.  My husband, Jerry, originally invented the keyboard for
me, and now I (and anyone else) can use a computer independently and still
not sacrifice any of the power of an IBM--PC, XT, AT, or PS/2.  For the
first time ever, I am able to use a PS/2 computer in spite of its humongous
keyboard.  I'll gladly answer any questions about the keyboard on this
forum, or you can write to us at: In Touch Systems 11 Westview Road Spring
Valley, NY 10977

Msg#:17615 *ABLED Echo*
11-05-89 16:38:00
From: RON ROTHENBERG
  To: PAUL HAMLET
Subj: REPLY TO MSG# 17614 (ONE-FINGER KEYBOARD)
                        Alternate Input Devices

Probably the first (and most expensive) place to check is IBM
themselves.  Through their National Support Center for Persons with
Disabilities.  Their voice/tdd number is 800-426-2133, they also have a
TDD only number (404) 988-2729.  They have some pretty exotic hardware
in their Voice-Activated Keyboard Utility.

Nevertheless, what may be needed is an alternate keyboard input device.
Some alternatives for someone paralyzed from the neck down include
various kinds of head pointers and mouthsticks, and software and in
some cases hardware to operate them.  There are also communications
boards that, when pointed to with the above devices, emulate keyboard
input to your PC.  Of course one can also depress a standard keyboard
with them.  Special software, also available in Public Domain, that
acts as keyswitches will also be needed.  KEYLOCK comes to mind, found
as KEYLOCK.ARC on several BBS's.  Keyswitches enable a user to type
uppercase (Shift-A) letters and use the Control and Alt key
combinations with one finger, or mouthstick.  Somthing that would be
physically impossible without it.  There are other sources but here's a
good place to start, or finish.

ITEM: Mouthsticks
COMPANY: Fred Sammons, Inc.
         Box 32
         Brookfield, IL  USA  60513
         (800) 323-7305
    They have several models that have a V-shaped mouthpiece that
allows tongue movement.  They can be used for typing or page turning,
can hold a pencil, pen, or brush.  They also have a Vertical Pincher
Mouthstick that has a tongue-controlled pincher at the end which can be
used to insert paper into a typewriter or printer.

ITEM: Viewpoint Optical Indicator 6
COMPANY: Prentke Romich Company
         Mr. Mike Molter
         1022 Heyl Road
         Wooster, OH  USA  44691
         (800) 642-8255 or (216) 262-1984
    This is a small lightbeam projector that mounts on the user's head
with a headband.  It enables you to point to things (such as selections
on a communications board) by directing the spot of light toward the
desired place.  The spot of light is a little over 1/2 inch in diameter
at a distance of 2 feet.  The position and angle of the pointer on the
headband is adjustable.  This in only one of many solutions available
from this company.  They also have an Evaluation Kit, which will help
you determine what type of devices are best suited to the person with
the disability.
PROKEY 4.0, a software program by Rosesoft, POB 45880,Seattle,
Washington,98145-0880.  Has a one-finger mode designed for disabled
computer users. Allows any compound

keystroke (such as Ctrl-Alt-Del) to be entered sequentially with one finger.
The program is also of user to persons
with disabilities because it can memorize any series of keystokes, and
up to 30,000 keystrokes can be assigned
to one key, and thereafter invoked by
typing one key.
Prokey can be ordered direct from Rosesoft, at 206-2820454 or the
company will send full information upon request.This company appears
quite sensitive to the needs of disabled IBM/compatible users.

... I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know.  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

... It is better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick-D. Barry's Mom

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!Ron.Rothenberg
Internet: Ron.Rothenberg@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Noe.Villeda@f9.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Noe Villeda) (07/19/90)

Index Number: 9329

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

hello! does anyone know where i can someho[ buy somehow buy braille
books in french, i am primarily looking for something to brush up on my
french as well as some general reading material. in this wonderful age
of computer technology, i hope that thehe are still some good old
fashioned braille users, i appreciate any help and information. i can
also be reached on compuserve,   my id number is, 72000,2332...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!9!Noe.Villeda
Internet: Noe.Villeda@f9.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10107

    Hi Tom, one of the things that you have to and the agencies consider
in the modifying of a van is how much "chop" work has to be done to fix
the van. This means does this style of van have to have the floor
dropped, the doors removed and replaced with wider and higher doors,
does the roof have to be removed and a new higher one welded on. All
this can realy jack up the price of a conversion. Also the van can't
have factory rust proofing on the undercarriage and floor. (when they
have to lower the floor and cut through the floor, rust proofing
ignites). One of the most thought out in design for conversion that I
have come across is the Volkswagon Vanagon and it takes, unless you are
unbelievably tall) non of the structure changes to handle a lift and
some of the pluses on design for a driver are really fantastic. The oil
and water are at an easy access point at the back of the vehicle and the
gas cap is at wheelchair height. They are also offering s $1,500 rebate
for conversions.
     I have a Chevy van right now, it is a commercial 1 ton van. We got
it very cheaply. But the problems in putting in the lift were really
great. The lift itself had to be modified with extenders to reach the
ground because even lowering the floor in this still wouldn't make it to
a height the lift could handle. I am short so that I didn't have to have
the roof raised but for someone of average height that would have had to
be done also. When this dies I want to get a Vanagon.
     One of the best sources for help on any specific van that you have
in mind and also how to help you figure out your style of driving and
usage is the conversion shops. It depends on a lot of things about where
the lift should go for you, how much it will cost for specific
modifications and what modifications that the van you choose will need
and the conversion shops can tell you this.
                                  Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Julius@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julius) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10108

I have friends who have vans with lifts installed.  2 of my friends
have a GM and another one a VW.  Both GMs have a high ceiling put
in.  I am not sure about the VW, but can check next time I see
her.  The problem with the GM is that where the doors close there
is a big metal locking device (I am not sure what you call it)
which is in the way, since it is right in the middle of the doorway
and it hangs down.  Which of course means that when the lift is
riased you have to be really careful that your head does not hit
the locking device or you will get a real head ache.  This only
applies if the lift is in the back.  In both vans the lifts are in
the back. In the VW the lift is on the side of the van.  It works
great, but cannot be used for an electric wheelchair, because with
the type of lift this person has the wheelchair is too big and
heavy.  They probably could have put in a different kind of lift
which would have accomodated the electric wheelchair.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223!Julius
Internet: Julius@f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Thomas.Williams@p0.f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Thomas Williams) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10111

        Well, thanks.  That's some of what I wanted to know.  Fortunately
for me I'm short so the floor doesn't have to be lowered or the roof
raised so that should help a lot.  That was one of the reasons I was
considering a minivan, my parents have one, and while it's not converted
for me to drive, my Dad did fix it up so that I can get in and out
of it, and I have virtually no clearance problems, so from what you
tell me, the conversion should go pretty smooth, thanx.

Tom

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26.0!Thomas.Williams
Internet: Thomas.Williams@p0.f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Tzipporah.Benavraham@f632.n278.z1.fidonet.org (Tzipporah Benavraham) (06/05/91)

Index Number: 15968

Hi Nadine. Yes I do have MS and indeed I have all the failings. My
optic nerve went first then it travelled down my spine and paralyzed
me. and yes Fatigue is a bad issue. They eyes were the first
problem. I use a voicebox to read the screen and as you know I am
blind person and professor.

I nevr took gamma globulin or a c t h because I also was a DES
daughter who had that cancer 4 times. The hormones seem to make me
sicker. So I tell people to try and avoid the drugs and therapies
that are what they call "invasive". If you put it in your body it
may well be a big big problem. There is a thig called "spongy
syndrome" in poeple who have MS where they find we hold all the
toxins in our body. then they go to work internally on things they
are not supposed to work on. Like our nerves. I try to stay AWAY
from sunshine since it makes me weak or if I go out, I use my
brething machine and oxygen. If I do not do that, I pass out. I also
wet a hat or scarf and place it on my head wet. It is cooling. I do
not care if it looks funny! at least I am safe and sound and feel
better.

There are many ways to "cope" and deal with the fatigue. I take
short naps. I also try to rest between classes. Or I take a cat nap
on the bus. I use nodoz (caffeine) to keep awake. And drink LOTS of
coffee and cola. The caffeine is a wonderful NATURAL thing. I prefer
IT to drugs to keep me awake. I can regulate it and take it at will.
Drugs require periodic constant administration./ I prefer the
ability to choose when I need it.

I do not know how this helps. But I hope it gives some insight. and
by all means FIGHT FOR THERAPY. It helps alot. I had excellent
therapy and feel better for it. I also remember what my therapists
teach me. drill and practice over and over and over again.

Good luck to your friend.

Tzipporah

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!278!632!Tzipporah.Benavraham
Internet: Tzipporah.Benavraham@f632.n278.z1.fidonet.org