[misc.handicap] Spinal Stimulator

Ron.Shaw@f7.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Shaw) (06/07/91)

Index Number: 16008

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference]

Got a call from my Doc last night saying something about putting a
spinal stimulator in my spine??

AnyOne familiar with this? if so, what exactally does it involve.

My major problem is constant pain in my legs, (along with sever
backaches, an spasms all over) my legs never stop hurting & they
seem to have a few different types of pains. Sometimes stabbing
pains like needled, sometimes shooting pains inside starting from
the bottom of my feet to above the knees, other times searing
burning or acheing pains. This has been going on for about 20 years
now (Post polio mylositis) along with arthiritis in the knees (they
ache like hell too). The past 18 - 20 years Ive been on your
regular run of the mill drugs with no relief unless its something
that knocks me completely out (morphone - scares the hell out of me
& I refuse to take it). Marijuana seens to quell the spasmz & numb
the pain (although it's still there), Tens unit helped the spasms &
pain for a while but I guess I got use to it. I finally have a good
doctor who is trying to learn as much about this post polio stuff
as he can but DEA has hindered him from getting the pot for my
spasms therfore I am still on narcotics (trying not to become
addicted) What a crock!. Any relief is a pleasure.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!374!7!Ron.Shaw
Internet: Ron.Shaw@f7.n374.z1.fidonet.org

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (06/07/91)

Index Number: 16009

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference]

In a message of <May 31 07:23> Ron Shaw (1:374/7@fidonet)
writes to All:

 RS> Got a call from my Doc last night saying something about putting
 RS> a spinal stimulator in my spine??
 RS> AnyOne familiar with this? if so, what exactally does it involve.

I had it done, and had the stimulator position revised three times, and it did
me no good at all (despite the quack's GUARANTEE of success, my pain actually
got worse).  However, I am spinal cord injured (C5), which may have prevented
the device from working as it should.
Mine involved a wire inserted epidurally from a unit implanted in my lower left
side, on which the stimulator rested.  This was done under general anesthesia;
the revisions were done under local.

 RS> My major problem is constant pain in my legs, (along with sever
 RS> backaches, an spasms all over) my legs never stop hurting & they
 RS> seem to have a few different types of pains. Sometimes stabbing
 RS> pains like needled, sometimes shooting pains inside starting from
 RS> the bottom of my feet to above the knees, other times searing
 RS> burning or acheing pains. This has been going on for about 20
 RS> years now (Post polio mylositis) along with arthiritis in the
 RS> knees (they ache like hell too). The past 18 - 20 years Ive been
 RS> on your regular run of the mill drugs with no relief unless its
 RS> something that knocks me completely out (morphone - scares the
 RS> hell out of me & I refuse to take it). Marijuana seens to quell
 RS> the spasmz & numb the pain (although it's still there), Tens unit
 RS> helped the spasms & pain for a while but I guess I got use to it.
 RS> I finally have a good doctor who is trying to learn as much about
 RS> this post polio stuff as he can but DEA has hindered him from
 RS> getting the pot for my spasms therfore I am still on narcotics
 RS> (trying not to become addicted) What a crock!. Any relief is a
 RS> pleasure.

Yeah, I got adbominal pains, back pains, hand pains, and leg pains, which have
gotten continually more intense since my injury in 1981.  Drugs don't work, nor
does anything else.  Marijuana does stop the spasms, but does nothing for the
pains.
*adh*

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Alan.Hess
Internet: Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Ron.Shaw@f7.n374.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Shaw) (06/14/91)

Index Number: 16039

[...]

Alan.Hess@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Alan Hess) (06/14/91)