[misc.handicap] Euthanasia, Nazi Doctors, and Club of Life BS Propaganda

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (06/13/91)

Index Number: 16026

One factor conveniently ignored in all these ravings is the question:
who pays for all this? One is cleverly led to *presume* that the poor,
defenseless patient and/or his/her relatives are forking over the money
for all this "heroic" care, but the gut issue of money is always neatly
dodged, to be replaced with the crudest form of tear-jerking propaganda
and hate-mongering. Recall all those references to "Hitler"?

Now the facts of medical life are these. Hospitals and doctors are
in *business*. They must make a profit (gasp! that nasty, 4-letter G-word!)
to survive, just like anyone else. They can, and do, take on a certain
amount of free or charity work, but they cannot survive in the American
economic system on such patients. In certain cases they are even required
by the federal government to provide a certain percentage of available
beds to Medicare patients with no additional billing - they get *only*
what Medicare pays, nothing more. Period.

Add to this the fact that the health care industry in America today is
one of the most fiercely competitive markets anywhere. Hospitals sink
or swim by razor thin margins in many cases. The upshot of all this is
there is precious little left to take on cases such as those listed
in Club of Life rantings on a no-charge basis. Personally, I suspect
that this is exactly what is happening. Financially strapped relatives
will not or cannot carry the financial burden, insurance runs out, the
hospital cannot pick up the tab for expensive ICU treatment. What to do?

In some cases it seems likely that relatives long to shed the burden of
care for an aging or disabled relative. These may be the ones who actively
demand removal of life-support equipment. In other cases it is not
unreasonable to surmise that family and relatives cannot face the
decision to withdraw life support, nor can they pay for its continuation.
This is fertile ground for initiation of an adversary relationship between
themselves and the medical establishment. In effect, they are demanding in
the most strident and self-righteous tones that the great, big, nasty ol'
hospital pays for all future care for Granny. If the hospital declines
to submit to this emotional blackmail the relatives, with the aid of eager
propaganda groups, attempt to convince a naive audience that the hospital
wants to kill their poor ol' Granny.

Of course all this posturing is a load of horse apples. The underlying
issue is M-O-N-E-Y pure and simple. I have seen this time and time again.
So have those members of my family who work in the medical profession.

Don't believe it? Well, ask yourself this question: when was the last time
you heard of a Saudi prince, or any *really* wealthy person, even having
the matter raised with reference to them, persistent vegetative state or not?

Thank about it.

Sez me,

W. K. (Bill) Gorman

Fair Warning:  Flame in private - roast in public.

covici@ccs.covici.com (John Covici) (06/17/91)

Index Number: 16048

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) writes:

> One factor conveniently ignored in all these ravings is the question:
> who pays for all this? One is cleverly led to *presume* that the poor,
> defenseless patient and/or his/her relatives are forking over the money
> for all this "heroic" care, but the gut issue of money is always neatly
> dodged,  ...

Yes, money does come into the picture in many cases, although in the recent
case in Miniapolis THE BILLS WERE BEING PAID.  But when you bring money into
the picture, then are we asking does a human life have a monitary value?

That is what the Nazis said, specifically: kill all those nonproductive
"useless eaters"; that's why the  references to Hitler, because the
groups pushing Euthanasia, behind all their blahblah about patients
choice and all that obfuscation lurks the very question of money.

And we must further ask the question that if our society is not
willing to spend such monies to keep people alive, have we lost the
moral fitness to survive?  This is what is posed by  the Euthanasia
controversy and somewhat by the abortion question.  Its murder in
either case and money indeed is sometimes directly an issue.

But moral values are also the  issue; what about the Wanglee case
where the bills were paid?  The relatives didn't want to inherit the
money or anything, so why did the hospital sue to kill the patient?
These are the questions to think about when looking at what these
Nazi doctors are doing.

         John Covici
          covici@ccs.covici.com